Author Topic: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race  (Read 87438 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: NELO is in for the games with Light Signature Race
« Reply #1050 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
ukgm - that might work for you since you will be talking to highly skilled riders. But most people aren’t. The information you get from less experienced paddlers is highly variable in quality.

I reckon you could get a custom that would be much better for you than anything you’ve tried so far, for you. But since you aren’t willing to take the financial risk that would involve, we’ll never know.
I reckon you could handle a narrower board with your self-professed balance excellence but since you aren’t willing to take the financial risk or put the hours in, we’ll never know that either  ;D
Au contraire, Pansy Potter, I did put my money where my mouth is, and I did find my limit. It was a humiliating and expensive experience. Like you, I decided at that point there there was no point competing any more. But then I didn’t get much out of racing anyway - I enjoyed the training but the races were usually a rather hollow and dispiriting experience, far away from the joy of paddling. So now, unlike you, I just do the training. But it has to be on boards so wide that they would mark me out as a sad old man (which I am) at all but the smallest local races, where I’d be getting my butt comprehensively kicked by the best 14 year-olds.

But today I spent 2 hours surfing my raceboard in rippy conditions, and didn’t fall in or wipeout at all in that session, which covered nearly 8 miles. And that’s how I like it. Stable enough to rarely fall. In 15 or so years when you are my age and you can’t even stand on the boards the teenagers are paddling, you’ll probably feel similarly. No need to make it any harder than it has to be. After 12 years of SUPing 4x week on average, and at my age, my balance skills aren’t going to miraculously improve not matter how much I struggle with a super-narrow board: I have reached a plateau determined by age and the hard demands of life.

Personally, you should have done my event this weekend and kicked some wrinkly arse in your age group. We'll never know the result of that either. Nobody uses a narrow board past 50  ;D

Good one UKGM -
You do realise though, that I am 51 ?!?!
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
Yeah, but you weigh the same as Pansy Potter’s (aka ukgm) left butt cheek.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Javelin LE 14' x 26" 250L
Maliko 14' x 26" 264L
Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L
Ace-GT 17'4" x 27" 313L
KeNalu Mana 82/Blackfish Salish 71 & Andaman 82
#LAfins GTS 7.5

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #1053 on: April 04, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
He did not say if he was to become a team rider or whatever is the equivalent and race next year sponsored by Nelo and Braca or not at all.
Maliko 14' x 26" 264L
Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L
Ace-GT 17'4" x 27" 313L
#LAfins GTS 7.5

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 04, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Review by Zoltan

https://www.facebook.com/zoltandoterdelyi/posts/10214809554896701?__tn__=K-R
Not quite sure what to make of that “review”, except that it sounded like several experienced I’ve had om boards that were too tippy for me.

But he won a sprint championship on a nelo board last weekend so I’m guessing he’s fully on board with it, if you’ll forgive the pun.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #1055 on: April 04, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
The reviewer has almost 20kg more body weight than me, yet he's finding exactly the same thing I am finding:
- The board is voluminous.
- That volume is a welcome addition for open water.

I'd still prefer a whole lot less volume though... no doubt about it for my featherweight.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1056 on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »
He did not say if he was to become a team rider or whatever is the equivalent and race next year sponsored by Nelo and Braca or not at all.

He isn't a team rider. He's currently being loaned demo boards by the UK's distributor on a short-term basis. However, a paddler of his standard (he's ex-C1 Hungarian national squad), will no doubt be pursuing such an arrangement at some point I would imagine. I would say that his account provides some natural bias towards that. However, you can read that account as someone out there using a tippy board...... albeit in very challenging conditions (I was out there round the corner on a demo Nelo surf ski having a similar experience but I didn't see it as a negative thing either - some might).

For what its worth, he's raced the 24.75 twice now. One was a winter low key race a fortnight ago (beating our longstanding national champion in the process) and the second was a win in our National Sprint Championships last weekend. He's got the skills to eventually tame the 23 width of that board but aside from the likes of Bruno (who currently has got social media footage of him using a 22 inch version in rough water at full speed), the 23 inch width boards are frankly beyond 99.9% of us in my view.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:34:04 AM by ukgm »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #1057 on: April 05, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »

He isn't a team rider. He's currently being loaned demo boards by the UK's distributor on a short-term basis. However, a paddler of his standard (he's ex-C1 Hungarian national squad), will no doubt be pursuing such an arrangement at some point I would imagine.

I thought that he might be considering this with Nelo if the board(s) were to his liking. And it looks like this might be the case so Nelo could challenge Starboard and their Sprint for Elite racing boards. Good for them. This might entice them to also design boards for everyone else or entice other brands to adopt the technology (like ONE might be doing on UL boards) in their standard lineup. A true all-around board with nice lines might be in the making somewhere and there might also be less length limitations be it because of blanks or weight. The era of the one board, 16 foot long included in a standard catalog might be soon upon us :-)
Maliko 14' x 26" 264L
Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L
Ace-GT 17'4" x 27" 313L
#LAfins GTS 7.5

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 05, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
I was watching ukgm and his buddies sprint racing in Nottingham, and it struck me how ludicrously short the 14ft boards looked, with all the other “proper” paddlecraft around. Please, please, if this becomes an Olympic sport, take the opportunity to make the standard size 16ft or above.