Author Topic: Okinawa West Side 24 March  (Read 1743 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Okinawa West Side 24 March
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:51:53 AM »
Fun bowling wave I frequent in the winter on the small days. This day was waist to shoulder. Wave bowls up on a shallow reef outcrop, then goes a little fat on small days, reforming on the inside. On head-high and larger days, the bowl can get quite sketchy (you can see how it drains on these little waves), but makes for a hollow, barreling left.

Shot in POV with the GoPro bite mount, so sorry about the heavy breathing... Started getting really good as the tide was dropping, but battery ran out just as that happened...of course.

On a side note, as a prone surfer, I hated surfing long boards. Just couldn't make them work for me, and only used one to take my kids out on when they were little. I'd ride prone, and let them stand up on the nose. Once I started on SUP, I found that I really like the 10' boards, especially on the small days. The walking back and forth to turn and trim the board out. So much fun. I think I'm having more fun now than I ever have, and I've surfed my whole life. My buddy called me a "50 year old grom" today...LOL  Hope some people find the small days somewhat interesting. With typhoon season rolling in, the bigger surf firing up, and finally feeling the confidence to stand up paddle into larger hollow stuff without falling off, should have better footage. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hUg6fo_rUw&t=68s

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Okinawa West Side 24 March
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:07:54 AM »
nice wave--crowd of 2!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:37:56 AM »
Nice video. I enjoyed watching it. With you and the three other surfers on the water, all of you had the entire place to yourselves for surfing.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:59:27 AM »
Very nice and chill session. I think that return to the groom affliction is quite common among former proners gone standup.

And thanks for switching mounts. I use the same mount and although I like the sounds of the surf, my breathing noise was the reason I add music to my vids now.

Although it’s probably not true I feel as if I’m still improving as far as my surfing goes. The initial years backslid a bit as I learned the standup thing but later after expanding to a complete quiver with shortboards and a gun, I feel as if the skill level is on the rise again. Especially in big waves. The only problem now is at 59 the age will start to push back.

If you don’t mind I was wondering how you ended up spending your whole life on the Rock?

Breathing-

Music-

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »

If you don’t mind I was wondering how you ended up spending your whole life on the Rock?

Thanks for the tips! The backslide thing is real. Last summer I found myself at breaks I wouldn't think twice about paddling into prone, but wouldn't dare paddle into the peak on a SUP, for fear of falling while stroking for it, and then getting drilled.

Pop was a former Marine, and we were stationed here in 1979. He retired in 1981 and then went to work  back here as a tech-rep contractor for the USMC. I graduated high school here in 1987 (Kubasaki DoDDS), and left to college in the US, but was back and forth at every break. Married a Japanese girl I went to high school with, and just ended up staying. Every time I'm fed up with it, and try to leave, something happens that keeps me anchored. Now I'm at a point where there's not really anyplace I'd rather live.   

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Nice video. I enjoyed watching it. With you and the three other surfers on the water, all of you had the entire place to yourselves for surfing.

Thanks for sharing your video.

Pretty much the only way I surf now. The other guy on SUP is a friend who got me into SUP. The two prone surfers are groms we brought with us. A couple of other SUPers showed up, but were cool, and then quickly moved to another peak. There are better waves only a short paddle away, but I got over 30 waves without having to hassle for even one! If I have to surf in "civilization," I'll pick a peak by myself (or with whoever is with me). If two prone surfers show up to that peak, and they're always friendly, I'll usually paddle down to another peak. Once you're on a SUP, there are so many easily accessible, quality peaks here, it's ridiculous. Thanks for the stoke.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal