Author Topic: What are the limits of step rails?  (Read 30817 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What are the limits of step rails?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
What a great thread. How can a designer reduce the volume in a huge - compared to surfboards - sup?

Dome deck with thin rails.

Step Rails or K rails as explained to me by Ed Angulo.

Chines.

Angular knifey rails.

Have ordered an Infinity V2 Blurr with step rails.
Will report my experience.

Dave Daum and Scott Mckercher managed to sneak chines onto some boards that I ordered

Definitely easier to sink the rails, less stable in chop however.

I was opposed to the idea in theory, but they definitely worked in my King's Punisher - similar to the wedge; and both of the SMIK boards I own.

But these are bigger boards. May need supplemental Sinkah training from KDOG on the Blurr V2.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
Just sold my Sunova Shroom (regrettably) and I think it would be hard to find a more extreme  stepped rail design. Mine was 7’9” at 104ltrs, and at 195lbs it was extremely  stable. Rails completely underwater with a bit of water on deck. Enough displacement to float while keeping super thin rails in a very compact design. And the best part was no domed deck wrecking knees and ankles. In fact the most comfortable deck to stand on I’ve owned and absolutely contributed to its stability the way you can lock your feet in. https://youtu.be/Ciyx5V43Cxw
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 06:33:41 PM »
I love that Shroom deck so much, it just makes sense. Why doesn't Burt do it on all his boards?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
I should add that yes,  agree that rails under water help stabilization. However I was demo-zing a board that was way too much volume for me.

I wanted to point that out because I think a lot of folks are trying to keep high volume and thin the rails. That might not get you sunken rails and therefore you end up with what I’m talking about. It’s so crazy how you can’t simply change one element of a design without affecting others.

Remember that and be careful when buying. A board made for TD and a board made for me (Small dude) at the same length and width will likely be completely different designs and volumes.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
Yeah, back when that Southpoint board came out, people weren't really riding low volume boards yet, plus it was a pretty narrow shape.

For me at least, 120l is normally about deckpad a water line level. I've had a couple of custom board made now that were around 120L and fairly short, narrow and thick for their volume compared to most production boards. The problem has been that the rails felt too thick. For my next board I'm trying to figure out if step rails are the fix I'm looking for.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
If anyone in the San Diego or Orange County area has a Portal Phantom I could look at then I would appreciate you replying here:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=34665
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 01:41:22 AM »
Digging up my old thread because I did end up scoring a nice little step railed board in a trade. This funky number is a 7'11x28.5x4.5 110L custom order from Coil Industries. Round nose, wing tailed, channels and step rails. a real zen hotdog.

I got this board because the guy who ordered it thought it was too small for him. The funny things is that I weight 10 pounds more and it was rock stable for me. The step rails on this board are really pinched but transition to real steep walls in the center. With enough weight you sink those rails straight to the deck and you maintain stability. without the weight you are balancing on thin rails 4 inches above water.

The thin rails work hold really well. Tons of fun. I need to sort out fins for this board but once we get that dialed in I think this will be  gem.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 04:27:29 AM »
You scored dude! That's a looker 8)
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 05:29:14 AM »
That is one seriously good looking board. I've never heard of Coil, but wow. If I could do composite work like that it's all I'd ever do.

I reread my post from back in March, and this summer learning to wingfoil has shown me even more clearly that a board that's sunken and not perfectly situated on the surface is not a problem--the board will take care of itself. It's my panic-y recovery efforts that toss me in the drink. The only board I surfed this summer was my Foote Triton with its trick rails. It made me look good, and even made me feel like I still know what I'm doing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
Coil is based out of Florida and mostly does surfboards, but the former owner of Tropical Blends in Honolulu was a huge fan and ordered in a bunch of SUPs as well so they have a bit of a presence here in Oahu. I have no idea exactly what the composites in the board are, just that the whole board is glassed with a mesh layer that makes it feel like a golf ball and that they vac bag the snot out of them to get it light. I didn't get to weight this board before the pads went on, but the 'little sister' of this board was 12 lbs and this one isn't much more.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
Good looking board. Never knew they did SUPs’. I’ve been to the factory, but have not seen behind the secret door. They guard their tech closely.

FYI, if anyone remembers Hana Crew kiteboards, they are the same people. Also owns a killer Burrito shack.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal