Author Topic: What are the limits of step rails?  (Read 1751 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What are the limits of step rails?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
What a great thread. How can a designer reduce the volume in a huge - compared to surfboards - sup?

Dome deck with thin rails.

Step Rails or K rails as explained to me by Ed Angulo.

Chines.

Angular knifey rails.

Have ordered an Infinity V2 Blurr with step rails.
Will report my experience.

Dave Daum and Scott Mckercher managed to sneak chines onto some boards that I ordered

Definitely easier to sink the rails, less stable in chop however.

I was opposed to the idea in theory, but they definitely worked in my King's Punisher - similar to the wedge; and both of the SMIK boards I own.

But these are bigger boards. May need supplemental Sinkah training from KDOG on the Blurr V2.
Let it come to you..
404 Go Go 14'
404 V3 12'6"
SMIK Hipster Twin 9'2"
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
Infinity 8'5" RNB
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
Just sold my Sunova Shroom (regrettably) and I think it would be hard to find a more extreme  stepped rail design. Mine was 79 at 104ltrs, and at 195lbs it was extremely  stable. Rails completely underwater with a bit of water on deck. Enough displacement to float while keeping super thin rails in a very compact design. And the best part was no domed deck wrecking knees and ankles. In fact the most comfortable deck to stand on Ive owned and absolutely contributed to its stability the way you can lock your feet in.
Sunova Shroom 79 x 30
F-One 14 x 23.5

exiled

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 06:33:41 PM »
I love that Shroom deck so much, it just makes sense. Why doesn't Burt do it on all his boards?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
I should add that yes,  agree that rails under water help stabilization. However I was demo-zing a board that was way too much volume for me.

I wanted to point that out because I think a lot of folks are trying to keep high volume and thin the rails. That might not get you sunken rails and therefore you end up with what Im talking about. Its so crazy how you cant simply change one element of a design without affecting others.

Remember that and be careful when buying. A board made for TD and a board made for me (Small dude) at the same length and width will likely be completely different designs and volumes.

exiled

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
Yeah, back when that Southpoint board came out, people weren't really riding low volume boards yet, plus it was a pretty narrow shape.

For me at least, 120l is normally about deckpad a water line level. I've had a couple of custom board made now that were around 120L and fairly short, narrow and thick for their volume compared to most production boards. The problem has been that the rails felt too thick. For my next board I'm trying to figure out if step rails are the fix I'm looking for.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
If anyone in the San Diego or Orange County area has a Portal Phantom I could look at then I would appreciate you replying here:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=34665
8' x 28" x 4.25" - Brawner (13 lbs)
8'-6" x 29 1/4" x 4' x 118 Liters - Azul Forte Pro custom
9' x 29" x 4" x 124 Liters - Hobie custom (15 lbs)
9-2' x 29" x 3 7/8" - Sunova (15 lbs)