Author Topic: Quickblade U-V 88  (Read 41384 times)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quickblade U-V 88
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »
I bit the bullet and ordered one. Should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »

Only one kidney left!!!
Keep the second one for a smaller version....it looks like a great paddle.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 04:00:39 AM »
I’m getting on a plane to Melbourne right now, and I’m going to stake out your house :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 04:52:36 AM »

Congrats!

Let us know what's the purity of the CocaCore and estimated street value :D
in progress...

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 04:57:14 AM »

Congrats!

I noticed a shop on the other side of the country advertising a 20% off plus free shipping on everything in the store Easter clearance sale and I decided to test if they were willing to honour the discount to items they didn't even have in store yet. That should help with the profit margins, especially if I can cut the CocaCore with talcum.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 05:47:55 AM »

Congrats!

I noticed a shop on the other side of the country advertising a 20% off plus free shipping on everything in the store Easter clearance sale and I decided to test if they were willing to honour the discount to items they didn't even have in store yet. That should help with the profit margins, especially if I can cut the CocaCore with talcum.
On this day, 29th March, when we were due to leave the EU, with our government in total disarray, and huge protests on the streets, it would probably be cheaper to cut it with ground up 10 pound notes than talcum :)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 06:07:12 AM »
Hang on to your pound notes A-10, it does not look like it's going to happen today.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 06:13:27 AM »
For those of you using the very small blade sizes, (Luc at 71) can you give us some details of how you progressed in that direction?

Note: I just moved down to an 83 BP Hydro but have also dropped about 20lbs to the low 190's and that blade size is feeling pretty good.  In fact, I feel like I can fly for short distances.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »
For those of you using the very small blade sizes, (Luc at 71) can you give us some details of how you progressed in that direction?

Note: I just moved down to an 83 BP Hydro but have also dropped about 20lbs to the low 190's and that blade size is feeling pretty good.  In fact, I feel like I can fly for short distances.
I have EVERY size of both the vdrive and Trifecta paddles. The one I use almost exclusively, with this choice available is the 71 vdrive.

Over the last couple of years, I have tried to listen to the advice of Johnny Puakea. This has required me to change my style a great deal, and I found it very tiring at first. But I am now setting PBs on courses I’ve been paddling for 12 years. As I have hopefully got closer to what he recommends, I have found that I can go smaller and smaller with my blade and still get no slippage. I’d now go to 61 if QB made one that small. The vdrive has an amazing catch, and if you concentrate on getting the blade into the water while taking no air with it, and then get the blade very deep, then it’s like it’s stuck in mud, even at only 71. And then of course there are all the other advantages of having a small blade, which are numerous.

I’m not sure that I’d go quite so small with the Trifecta. That is a blade that requires a technically good stroke or it will slip. (It is kinder on the body though.) And I’m not good enough to get every stroke right. I was talking to Mo Freitas a few months ago, and he was being very generous in his praise of other paddlers. He made the point that what is amazing about people like Travis Grant and Danny Ching is that they manage to make every stroke perfect form. Most of us just can’t maintain that degree of concentration (including me). The vdrive is much more tolerant of lapses in concentration. But maybe when I grow up, I’ll be able to use a tiny Trifecta too. It would kinda be a badge of achievement. But for the moment I’m sticking with the 86 Trifecta.

Has anyone here used the really small sizes of the Black Project surf paddle?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »

I always using the small blade to re-align my technic. If slippage is noticeable with the 75 I'm addressing it until it's not.
The small blade is really effective for long ass upwinds (which happens whenever I go downwind and realize there is no transport back)
in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 08:34:14 AM »

Hi Bean. To start off and provide some perspective, I’m not a big guy. I’m 5’ 8” and weigh about 150 pounds. I started with I think about a 100 sq. inch blade. My first paddle was the old Werner Nitro in the medium. So don’t remember for sure, but I think it was about 100 sq. inches. I then dropped down to 85 sq. inches (Werner Trance). And while I liked the paddle, I was having elbow issues, specifically golfer’s elbow. I tried everything I could think of to help with my elbows and finally decided to drop my paddle size down again, and went to a 75 sq. inch blade, this time with a ZRE paddle. It turns out that the blade size was not the cause of my elbow issues, but I really liked the paddle and have stayed with it. Don’t miss the larger size blade at all and wouldn’t go back. I should also clarify though, that my paddling is mostly flat water. Hope this helps.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »

That's cool, looking forward to your feedback and that 20% come in handy.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »

Are you thinking about that blue one? seems like a perfect to your JL beauty.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »

Are you thinking about that blue one? seems like a perfect to your JL beauty.

I wish I could burchas, right now I have a few project planned for me and others  :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »
Paddle lengths continue to get shorter and blade faces smaller. This is wise but should be matched to the physiology and padding style of each paddler. Bearing in mind what the pros use, I'd say most paddlers are using something too big for themselves.

My main paddle is the BP88 and I'd go sub 80 next - even at my size.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal