Author Topic: Quickblade U-V 88  (Read 41402 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quickblade U-V 88
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »
youll need interest rates to get any bid for gbp

and with uk economy, as well as the context of a crappy euro economy generally, aint gon be no interest rates for a while, so aint gon be no strong gbp for a while
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »
My guess at this point is, Brexit will be cancelled...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
My guess at this point is, Brexit will be cancelled...
Well, if it was, the UK would be:

1. Financially better off. Every citizen would instantly be richer.
2. More secure defence-wise.
3. More secure against terrorists.
4. Able to buy more SUP equipment from the US :)
5. More able to tackle climate change issues.
6. More influential internationally.
7. Have a much stronger science base.
8. Home to more big international companies.
9. Able to run more hospitals with free healthcare.
10. Able to offer more international jobs to the young.

But the madness of the current political situation, where up is down and down is up, means that we are not going to take this simple step that would benefit us all so much. Instead we are going to take an elephant gun, point it at our extremities, and blow our feet clean off.

And then bellyache that we can’t afford a new QB UV paddle :)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »
Yes, I believe you are mostly correct. 

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »
Really for teh time being there is really nothing to look at.
1) Not available in small size (71 sqi or around)
2) Crazy expensive regardless of any foreign exchange. I am not paying $900 for a paddle regardless of how good it is and for which in addition I cannot change the shaft it I needed too.

https://www.surffx.com.au/product/quickblade-uv-88/
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
In the UK we are already paying close to 900 Australian dollars for a vdrive. So this isn’t that much more expensive. I recently bought a full wood/carbon/Kevlar sandwich 12-6 board from Gong for 600 GBP (including delivery) when a top of the range vdrive would cost me nearly 500.

A 100% carbon Gong paddle costs 110 GBP.

So yes, QB are crazy expensive. But this new model is probably only about 10% more expensive than the vdrive, here.

I guess we are gonna find out how much people will pay for a paddle.

But even if it was on sale for half that 900 price I wouldn’t buy an 88 sq inch either. Waaaay too big for a paddle like that, if your stroke technique is reasonable, unless maybe you are Michael Booth in full “take no prisoners and shoulders be damned” mode.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
I read that UK customs authorities seized a plane at Heathrow today and charged the crew with attempting to smuggle in Quickblade paddles by hiding them under bags of cocaine.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 04:21:34 AM »
I read that UK customs authorities seized a plane at Heathrow today and charged the crew with attempting to smuggle in Quickblade paddles by hiding them under bags of cocaine.
:) :) :)

Fortunately the lesser-construction vdrives are a little bit more reasonable. You can get a vdrive vector net for the equivalent of 560 Australian dollars, although the oval shaft version will cost you a fair bit more. And it is only 18% more if you want the version that has the shaft full of cocaine ;)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:35 AM »

Fortunately the lesser-construction vdrives are a little bit more reasonable. You can get a vdrive vector net for the equivalent of 560 Australian dollars, although the oval shaft version will cost you a fair bit more. And it is only 18% more if you want the version that has the shaft full of cocaine ;)

Just in! QB announced the UV88 CocaCore! QB really listens to its customers. The whole Idea behind the CocaCore is the ability to go through the airport undetected and once in the wild
sell the cocaine to finance your paddle. This is a UK only model mind you, Rejoice :D
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:33 AM »

Perfect, burchas. I knew they’d be some way to afford one, other than selling my house. Thanks for listening, Quickblade: Does “UV” stand for “Unlawful Vendor”?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »

Perfect, burchas. I knew they’d be some way to afford one, other than selling my house. Thanks for listening, Quickblade: Does “UV” stand for “Unlawful Vendor”?

:) I think they're going for "Under Valued" due to it's hidden content. They are still working on official naming so not too late to throw yours in the mix.
in progress...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »

Just in! QB announced the UV88 CocaCore! QB really listens to its customers. The whole Idea behind the CocaCore is the ability to go through the airport undetected and once in the wild
sell the cocaine to finance your paddle. This is a UK only model mind you, Rejoice :D
Now I'm realizing that Quickblade has probably been working on this for some time.  It explains why Jim Terrell was going around in Hood River at the Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge asking, "Where are all the Colombians?"

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
In the UK we are already paying close to 900 Australian dollars for a vdrive. So this isn’t that much more expensive. I recently bought a full wood/carbon/Kevlar sandwich 12-6 board from Gong for 600 GBP (including delivery) when a top of the range vdrive would cost me nearly 500.

A 100% carbon Gong paddle costs 110 GBP.

So yes, QB are crazy expensive. But this new model is probably only about 10% more expensive than the vdrive, here.

I guess we are gonna find out how much people will pay for a paddle.

But even if it was on sale for half that 900 price I wouldn’t buy an 88 sq inch either. Waaaay too big for a paddle like that, if your stroke technique is reasonable, unless maybe you are Michael Booth in full “take no prisoners and shoulders be damned” mode.
Out of interest Area10, how does the quality of the Gong sup compare to some of the other boards that you've owned eg Jimmy Lewis? I saw a comoarison video (it included the Kramen,  NFA and another model) by Gong and it showed the owner of the company hitting them hard with a mallet so I guess they must be pretty durable! I must admit that €800 for a 10ft NFA is very tempting as it's about half the price of a similar sized JL board. Also, how did the buying and delivery process work out for you?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »
supcymru - I have two of the 2018 Gong wood-carbon-Kevlar sandwich boards and have been absolutely delighted with the build quality. They are more solid and have better paintwork than the Naish and Fanatic surf SUPs I have from the last few years. Gong have had construction issues in the past but they changed factories and these ones seem amazing value. Patrice is a very talented and innovative shaper, so you always get designs that are at the cutting edge too. The latest top spec Gong boards are full PVC and carbon sandwich, so the same construction materials as the top spec Jimmy Lewis boards. I haven’t seen one of them yet, but if they are as well made as the wood/carbon/Kevlar ones I have, they should be very good indeed. The prices are amazing, compared with the bigger brands.

Buying was very easy (unlike purchases in the distant past from Gong, where I experienced some very “French” service) and service was excellent. The sales staff took great care of me. The couriers were a nightmare, although very cheap, but Gong can’t be responsible for their practices. I don’t think my experience with these particular couriers was unusual, so expect them to be pretty terrible in terms of customer information etc. But Gong themelves were great. I’m already eyeing up one of their full PVC and carbon sandwich boards for this year’s purchase...

Hope this helps. It’s great to finally see some local brands producing well-made and well-designed gear at prices that stick two fingers up to the big brands.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
Area10 - Thank you for your detailed reply! It's great to hear your thoughts on your Gong SUPs. The Gong website is now very detailed and clearly want to give the customer as much information as possible and the videos are excellent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal