Author Topic: Quickblade U-V 88  (Read 41389 times)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quickblade U-V 88
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:31:24 PM »
Sounds like they've updated the V-Drive. Anyone got any inside information?

This is how they are officially describing it:

The latest addition to the Quickblade family of paddles, the UV 88 is the lightest, strongest and most powerful blade they’ve ever created!

This paddle is all about more power, less effort. The signature scoop creates a stronger catch with a smaller surface area, while the new “Black Diamond Elite” shaft is the strongest and lightest carbon creation from Quickblade yet. Excess materials have been strategically removed with more being added back in just the right places to maximise strength while minimising weight!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quickblade U-V 88
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Ok, so I doubt there’s any serious paddler who wouldn’t be looking at this.

So, why “UV”? And why “88”? And is it just a vdrive with fancy construction (which would be absolutely fine by me btw) or something else?

Oh, and where do I get one? :)

And does it come in a size smaller than 71sq ins?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:56:33 PM by Area 10 »

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
I think the 88 is the square inch size so no sub 71 yet.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
Looks like they updated the V that it looks like a U now. Deeper concave in the middle.
Went for the sexy carbon hexa weave to finish the look and 88sqi so we should probably expect
a 78 and maybe 68 if we're going by their usual sizing.

Looks very sexy all in all. Not sure it will feel so very different though.

https://www.facebook.com/quickbladepaddles/videos/257786708438922/
in progress...

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
It certainly looks good. Have to pick one up at their next factory blemish sale.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 08:50:27 PM »
That looks like a really nice paddle. I could totally see a 71 in orange.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:35 AM »
Ok, so I doubt there’s any serious paddler who wouldn’t be looking at this.

So, why “UV”? And why “88”? And is it just a vdrive with fancy construction (which would be absolutely fine by me btw) or something else?

Oh, and where do I get one? :)

And does it come in a size smaller than 71sq ins?

I had a brief exchange with Jim about it last week when it was officially launched and it seems really well designed. I might get one to test but I'll go for a smaller blade size as its going to really lock in the water. The exchange rate is going to hammer us over here though - I've just bought a new top of the range kayak paddle for roughly 2/3rds of what this will cost.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 04:37:25 AM »
Yes, thank you Brexit for making US-made products so expensive. And it’s going to get worse. But I guess that most Brexit-voters don’t SUP. However, now that Brexit has started affecting the price of soccer balls, cigarettes and Zimmer frames, they might start noticing.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
brexit in or out you can't escape regulation at this stage ::)

quickblade in my view is leading the paddle game at the moment and almost everyone follows or worse guessing. I like this paddle but it will be a while before I get one, look so nice though  8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:17:15 PM by JEG »

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
The best part about Quickblade is that they land on a well-researched design that they are happy with and they stick with it rather than tweak and change every year to make customers feel that they have to upgrade annually. It's a pity that more companies in SUP don't follow suit.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:29:31 AM »
Yes, thank you Brexit for making US-made products so expensive. And it’s going to get worse. But I guess that most Brexit-voters don’t SUP. However, now that Brexit has started affecting the price of soccer balls, cigarettes and Zimmer frames, they might start noticing.

It wasn't solely Brexit. Prices had been climbing steadily year on year anyway prior to that. My point was inferring whether price inflation of SUP equipment compared to other sports like kayaking is an issue again.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:30:37 AM »
quickblade in my view is leading the paddle game at the moment and almost everyone follows or worse guessing.

For my money I rank Quickblade and Black project well ahead of everyone else. You have to pay for that quality though.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 03:28:12 AM »
does quickblade have a website?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 04:18:11 AM »

It wasn't solely Brexit. Prices had been climbing steadily year on year anyway prior to that. My point was inferring whether price inflation of SUP equipment compared to other sports like kayaking is an issue again.
You can get perfectly good 100% light and strong carbon paddles from Gong for literally one-third the price of a Quickblade in the UK. The specific problem with Quickblade we we have is that they are so proudly American. The USD-GBP exchange rate has plummeted since SUP started: back in the early days of SUP paddles by US-based brands like Kialoa and QB weren’t as expensive. Brexit has recently accelerated that issue because it has hit our currency even more. If there were more EU brands who sell direct to the public (like Gong) then SUP paddles wouldn’t look out of kilter price-wise with eg. kayak ones. But for the moment all the innovation in SUP paddles is happening in US brands (including Quickblade, KeNalu etc). So we have to pay through the nose to get the latest and greatest. What we need is an European-based company that can compete with them. Or for our economy to strengthen a lot.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
On the bright side A-10, it's a great time for us to stock up on Barbour here in the US.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal