Author Topic: Race from Bimini to Florida Coast  (Read 2481 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Race from Bimini to Florida Coast
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:53:32 AM »
wow--ive done this in a fast boat--badass race!  with 100+ paddlers......

makes my shoulders hurt thinking about it...............

https://standupjournal.com/articles/events/crossing-for-a-cure-realities-behind-cystic-fibrosis-paddlers/?mc_cid=f560b02578&mc_eid=56bcdf69a8

supports a good cause too

i assume youre in for this, burchas!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Race from Bimini to Florida Coast
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:56 AM »
These guys had a booth at Surf Expo and I got to speak to them.  Great event, great cause and I am tempted.  100 miles...man that's a paddle.  The logistics would be another thing..getting a 14ft race board to Bimini etc

I did the Cape Cod Bay Challenge 8 times and that was anywhere from 32 -37 miles and took 9-13 hours in varying conditions but was always a challenge.

anyone from the 'Zone doing this event? 

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:13:05 AM »
I have read up on it. Logistics are not bad for participants who can drive to south FL. They will get you and your board to Bimini. The safety boats for the trip back do it. They leave in the wee hours of late June - most possible daylight and most paddlers make it there by dark. I think it is less than 80 miles and a lot of that is the northern diagonal from crossing the Gulf Stream paddling west. The surface is moving at up to 5.6 mph for a big chunk of the trip.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
From Facebook when they did it in 2012

- Approximately 60.3 miles
 - 18+ hours on the water
 - with Bill Whiddon and Thad Foote.

Copied from FaceBook

I think it was 2:30 am to 8:45 pm and the gulfstream pushed them north of the original landing point.

No matter how long it was in minutes...that is a long time on rough seas paddling your heart out.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
Yes, it would be a hard paddle but you should watch the video on it. Some of the people were recreational paddlers in good, but not amazing, shape. The ones taking that long took breaks, sitting and eating meals and snacks. I am absolutely not trying to imply it is easy, but it's within reach for more paddlers than you might think. The racers crossed much faster.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:47 PM »
it is 80 miles paddle. Know three girls who have done it last year and doing it again this year. Badass for sure.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
i assume youre in for this, burchas!!

I would if it was a downwinder ;D
I'm limiting my flat water paddles to 25 miles.
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 05:41:31 AM »
You can easily measure any distance with Google Maps. Just right click on the map or satellite view and choose "Measure distance".

Bimini to Miami Beach is a little over 50 miles but compensating for the Gulf Stream current will probably make any crossing much longer. The finish is probably at West Palm which is about 80 miles.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:48:31 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
Stupid is as stupid does...... I have done this crossing three times coming back from a “winter stay” in the Bahamas. Smallest boat was a Signet 20. Largest was Rival 34. (After crossing the Atlantic). Whould I do this on my SIC V2?  You’re kidding me, Right?

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
There are SUP'rs who just finished the Tampa to the Keys paddle so Bimini to WPB would be a picnic for them... it's just over 50 miles fomr points in Miami, but they are crossing the stream and end up on WPB quite a ways N. of Miami. I've done the trip many times by boat fishing, both day trips in a fast boat and multi day stayover's in Bimini.

Crossing form Bimini to WPB has the advantage of the stream itself always moving N. will naturally carry the paddlers N. evne if they paddle West all day. You'd be surprised when you are out there, we typically leave Port Everglades and head SE all day and still almost always end up N. of the port. If you hook one or two fish, and stop your Southerly momentum for 20 or 30 minutes that stream pulls you North pretty quickly.

If I was planning to do something like this I'd have to pick my days very carefully, cause the weather can change in a few minutes with little notice and that time of year thunder and lightning storms can come from anywhere. We always say you can predict the tides, you an hope you catch fish, but you can predict the weather.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal