Author Topic: SUP racing growing ? Uhm.....  (Read 14716 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
Re: SUP racing growing ? Uhm.....
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
While I don't think that SUP Racing is growing, I do think that SUP involvement is still growing. Thus, the sport could be said to still be growing.

Still, I wish that people would learn how to climb back on their boards... because what I am seeing in real life is nothing short of "scary". At least, on a surfski, if you can't get back on, you don't even leave the shoreline. You are usually thought to learn to remount, and practice a bunch. Then we are thought to learn to brace. And... eventually, we learn to paddle better, while still practicing remounts. Yes, the learning curb is steeper on a ski, a lot steeper actually, but there are pros and cons to both there.

I find SUP helps me with my surfski, and to my great surprise, surfski REALLY enhances my SUP performance. So, take it for what it's worth - but I see the same thing with Boothy et al. where they come from surfski / kayak before arriving to the SUP world.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20:16 PM »
My wife and I had the pleasure of paddling an OC6 in Maui last week with some friends  and had an absolute blast. So much so that I started looking for an OC1 for home. We live about a 50 yard walk from Narragansett Bay and storage isn’t a problem so I thought it would be fun to have one at the house. The problem I’m having is actually tracking down one to buy. Closest one I could find was in North Carolina. Kind of a bummer but I’ll continue to keep my eyes open. If anyone here knows anyone within the northeast that has one they would be willing to part with, please let me know. An OC2 would be fine too but I know chances of that are even more unlikely.
Call Sam at Osprey in Westport. She has one and would know of any active groups or other folks. She loves hers.

Thanks Jim, good to know. I’ll get in touch with her.

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
The two hardest things I've ever done : 1) racing my 14' board out through the surf at the Salt Creek BOP; and 2) Racing upwind in heavy chop in last year's PPG.  As hard as it is to train and "compete" (I've never even been in the top half), it sure has been fun racing every year.  I'll miss it.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
It's definitely growing here. Nothing like the big events, but more and more races, with people coming from all over Japan to compete. There looks to be two 30km island-hop down winders this year, and more than a few flat water races.

I'm not a competitor. I do DW for fun, and flat water for exercise. But I find it wonderful how fast the sport is still growing.   

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
If the PPGs DO come back next year, perhaps include prone, OC1/2, surfski, and put more focus on open SUP than the past few years.  So make in an overall ocean paddle event.

SUPuFaka

• Waikiki Status
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
a SUP race event partnered with a wave riding division and maybe even supsquatch and some other fun events thrown in would be great .....it needs to be OHANA based not pros .....I went to the app world surf tour in hawaii at sunset beach and there was literally 3 people who werent related to racers actually watching the event.
C4 Waterman- raimanas world 9'8 - malolo 14- subvector 9'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
Did anyone watch the Air France Paddle Festival in Tahiti? Wow, a lot of those paddlers seemed to be suffering on their tippy boards in that race... I was watching it thinking “you’d be a lot faster on a more stable board...”. Falls all over the place, which is a PITA if you are in a dugout.

http://www.supracer.com/2019-air-france-paddle-festival-tahiti-live-stream/

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
Did anyone watch the Air France Paddle Festival in Tahiti? Wow, a lot of those paddlers seemed to be suffering on their tippy boards in that race... I was watching it thinking “you’d be a lot faster on a more stable board...”. Falls all over the place, which is a PITA if you are in a dugout.

http://www.supracer.com/2019-air-france-paddle-festival-tahiti-live-stream/

Yes I was. At the end the fourth paddler on the Sunova dugout was really having a difficult time with his legs shots and the boats' wakes.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 06:29:03 AM »
Yes, that was a struggle for sure. A lot of swimming involved, didn't know it's a biathlon :D 
T2 on the other hand was doing well, does anyone know what width was he on?

I think Stevie on the Sunova at fifth place did not finish, at least not in the top 10.
at one point he landed on his ass, maybe hurt his nuts on the sidewalls?
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
Yes, that was a struggle for sure. A lot of swimming involved, didn't know it's a biathlon :D 
T2 on the other hand was doing well, does anyone know what width was he on?

I think Stevie on the Sunova at fifth place did not finish, at least not in the top 10.
at one point he landed on his ass, maybe hurt his nuts on the sidewalls?
Yeah. Watching him was a perfect example of my own experiences of dugouts in messy conditions. I’ve never really understood why people claim that dugouts are good for confused waters. In my experience those high sidewalls catch every bump that comes along, and you get a 2-axis pendulum effect, with both pitch and roll happening in every combination: extremely hard to cope with that and keep a steady paddle rhythm.

The SIC RS seemed to be coping OK with those conditions. Were there any Naish Malikos there?

Listening to Yuka, it sounds like you needed a board that went upwind well, as well.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:38 AM »
Yeah. Watching him was a perfect example of my own experiences of dugouts in messy conditions. I’ve never really understood why people claim that dugouts are good for confused waters. In my experience those high sidewalls catch every bump that comes along, and you get a 2-axis pendulum effect, with both pitch and roll happening in every combination: extremely hard to cope with that and keep a steady paddle rhythm.

My experience with dugouts is actually very limited - my Ace-GT - and it will handle confused water very well.
I should try other dugouts to compare as it might make me look at my Ace-GT with very fond eyes :-)

Of course the Ace-GT is 27" wide and one of a kind. A 23" wide dugout should be for sure another kettle of fish altogether.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:11:20 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
Pretty sure i heard Ti2 on a 22.5 wide, and i think a dugout board would have been the perfect choice for that race. I think Steeve just lost his legs at the end and after 24km in that heat and wobbly water i could understand why.
Those are the waters where dugout boards work best and 100% if i had a dugout or a flat deck on the beach i would take the dugout every time.
For me that looks like a tough race and just staying hydrated would be a huge step to placing well.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
good race to watch though but at 24km on that heat that's tuff. Flat deck or dugout is a matter of choice. I just can't believe how T2 on a 22.5 wide board is soo smooth. What happened to the big name racers like booty and the girls. I heard the drug testers were there to keep things honest.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 05:53:21 PM »
Interestingly enough though, 1st and 2nd women were on a flat/slightly recessed deck boards.
Olivia did pretty well on your board considering that's a board she wasn't accustomed to, that's quite a score.

I think Steeve just lost his legs at the end and after 24km in that heat and wobbly water i could understand why.

That's usually associated with the "rolly" design of these dugouts, combine that with how narrow they become and you
can see why it's a lot more common to see elites struggling. That race is a clear case where a 4Drive setup would benefit
those narrow boards.
in progress...

Jacko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 08:38:04 PM »
What happened to the big name racers like booty and the girls. I heard the drug testers were there to keep things honest.

I think budgets might have played a part for quite a few racers as i am sure budgets are a little tighter this year. Might be a factor in a few races this year!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM