Stand Up Paddle > SUP General

SUP racing growing ? Uhm.....

(1/12) > >>

ukgm:
Not good news:

http://www.supracer.com/2019-pacific-paddle-games-cancelled/?fbclid=IwAR1HD0tNAUmw6ufNxem8wqepXLCP27nBgm-C-luV-oa3wsvH4EIXK9AAM1U

PonoBill:
It's an odd thing that organizers of some of the larger races, with some exceptions, don't seem to know where their money comes from. Having a lot of elite class racers show up does very little for the bottom line--the purse money generally exceeds or at least equals their entry fees. Having a lot of open class racers show up not only adds money since all they win are inexpensive trophies, but also adds spectators, the racers themselves and families and friends of the racers--who else is going to watch a SUP race? A healthy number of spectators attracts sponsors and merchandising booths.

So what do many organizers do? They treat the open class racers like second class citizens while they make a huge deal over the pros.

It's no surprise to me that the Gorge Paddle Challenge rose to the top. Superb organization, lots of love extended to the groms, the families, the open class racers. Fun courses and great care to optimize the events so conditions are the best the weekend can offer for the course and downwind races. And then of course there's the venue. In the week before the race the river is full of people downwinding. The shuttles are full, the conditions are generally excellent, and everyone gets all the smoking downwinders they can stand. The leadup to most races I've attended (a ridiculous number) is pretty much nothing.

I'm certainly not glad this happened. I've enjoyed all the racing I've done, and I loved going to SoCal for the week before the BOP and the PPG race to surf and see friends. I enjoyed the races much less after the BOP ended, but I still went. Last year was the first year I didn't race. I went surfing.

TallDude:
Once Sparky and Jerry lost interest, that was the beginning of the end of BOP and all that followed. Races every weekend in every different SoCal coastal town was crazy. That even rolled over into inland bodies of water. The Colorado river between AZ and CA was having multiple races. Rivers and lakes in NorCal same thing. I kept wondering,"is there that many racers?"
Actually, this year's HanoHano had a great turn out. Most of the pro's were there to receive their beer glass trophy. Same one everyone got. No podium, just toss it to Danny Ching over the crowd. I threw down $100. worth of raffle tickets to have a chance to win an OC-1. Didn't win, but did win a bunch of swag so I almost broke even (Anyone want a paddle bag?)
I think SoCal Racing series has been doing pretty good. $25 entrance fee gets you swag and a shirt. Aside from the heavy rain we've been experiencing this winter (dirty water) the numbers have been pretty good for racing. The die-hard racers are still at it and having fun. The BOP hang-over wore off, and in general the group of paddler who mostly paddle for fitness is seeing new faces. My perspective anyway.....

photofr:
Here in France, I am seeing a crazy number of racer dropouts as well.

On the other hand, and super excited to see this: there is a staggering number of people getting into Surfskis.

surf4food:

--- Quote from: photofr on March 21, 2019, 11:44:07 PM ---Here in France, I am seeing a crazy number of racer dropouts as well.

On the other hand, and super excited to see this: there is a staggering number of people getting into Surfskis.

--- End quote ---

Interesting.  How about OC1s?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version