Author Topic: SUP racing growing ? Uhm.....  (Read 14710 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP racing growing ? Uhm.....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
It's an odd thing that organizers of some of the larger races, with some exceptions, don't seem to know where their money comes from. Having a lot of elite class racers show up does very little for the bottom line--the purse money generally exceeds or at least equals their entry fees. Having a lot of open class racers show up not only adds money since all they win are inexpensive trophies, but also adds spectators, the racers themselves and families and friends of the racers--who else is going to watch a SUP race? A healthy number of spectators attracts sponsors and merchandising booths.

So what do many organizers do? They treat the open class racers like second class citizens while they make a huge deal over the pros.

It's no surprise to me that the Gorge Paddle Challenge rose to the top. Superb organization, lots of love extended to the groms, the families, the open class racers. Fun courses and great care to optimize the events so conditions are the best the weekend can offer for the course and downwind races. And then of course there's the venue. In the week before the race the river is full of people downwinding. The shuttles are full, the conditions are generally excellent, and everyone gets all the smoking downwinders they can stand. The leadup to most races I've attended (a ridiculous number) is pretty much nothing.

I'm certainly not glad this happened. I've enjoyed all the racing I've done, and I loved going to SoCal for the week before the BOP and the PPG race to surf and see friends. I enjoyed the races much less after the BOP ended, but I still went. Last year was the first year I didn't race. I went surfing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »
Once Sparky and Jerry lost interest, that was the beginning of the end of BOP and all that followed. Races every weekend in every different SoCal coastal town was crazy. That even rolled over into inland bodies of water. The Colorado river between AZ and CA was having multiple races. Rivers and lakes in NorCal same thing. I kept wondering,"is there that many racers?"
Actually, this year's HanoHano had a great turn out. Most of the pro's were there to receive their beer glass trophy. Same one everyone got. No podium, just toss it to Danny Ching over the crowd. I threw down $100. worth of raffle tickets to have a chance to win an OC-1. Didn't win, but did win a bunch of swag so I almost broke even (Anyone want a paddle bag?)
I think SoCal Racing series has been doing pretty good. $25 entrance fee gets you swag and a shirt. Aside from the heavy rain we've been experiencing this winter (dirty water) the numbers have been pretty good for racing. The die-hard racers are still at it and having fun. The BOP hang-over wore off, and in general the group of paddler who mostly paddle for fitness is seeing new faces. My perspective anyway.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:07 PM »
Here in France, I am seeing a crazy number of racer dropouts as well.

On the other hand, and super excited to see this: there is a staggering number of people getting into Surfskis.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
Here in France, I am seeing a crazy number of racer dropouts as well.

On the other hand, and super excited to see this: there is a staggering number of people getting into Surfskis.

Interesting.  How about OC1s?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
if their not careful, there will be fewer participants in the future of sup racing  ::)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 02:21:22 AM »
There is a ridiculously simple reason for that. Surfskis are fast, 14' SUPs are not. Surfskis are fast even if you weigh 230 pounds. 14' SUPs are not. Eliminate half of the likely market from competition and turn the sport into a slow race and people won't do it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 04:36:22 AM »
There is a ridiculously simple reason for that. Surfskis are fast, 14' SUPs are not. Surfskis are fast even if you weigh 230 pounds. 14' SUPs are not. Eliminate half of the likely market from competition and turn the sport into a slow race and people won't do it.

I'll pass, the whole sitting down idea just doesn't sit well with me :D isn't there a sit-down zone?  ??? Maybe not, sounds reprimanding. How would you make it great again?
Replicating Gorge Paddle Challenge is highly unlikely.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 05:25:13 AM »
Yeah, I used to sit-down paddle long before I SUPed. It never really felt right. Sitting down to exercise is a bit weird all-round in fact. I guess some people’s physiologies suit sitting down and some don’t. Plus, what I liked about SUP was the unique viewpoint. Sit-down paddling now feels like a retrograde step to me, even if it is faster and more efficient. But maybe if SUP introduced you to paddling, then you have a different perspective from someone who paddled other craft before SUP, and made the switch.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 05:56:14 AM »
Yeah, I used to sit-down paddle long before I SUPed. It never really felt right. Sitting down to exercise is a bit weird all-round in fact. I guess some people’s physiologies suit sitting down and some don’t. Plus, what I liked about SUP was the unique viewpoint. Sit-down paddling now feels like a retrograde step to me, even if it is faster and more efficient.

It's funny as this is the complete opposite for me. The main reason I started in SUP was that its physical conditioning was far superior to all forms of sit down paddling. It's woefully inefficient and slow though.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:46 AM »
Yeah, I used to sit-down paddle long before I SUPed. It never really felt right. Sitting down to exercise is a bit weird all-round in fact. I guess some people’s physiologies suit sitting down and some don’t. Plus, what I liked about SUP was the unique viewpoint. Sit-down paddling now feels like a retrograde step to me, even if it is faster and more efficient.

It's funny as this is the complete opposite for me. The main reason I started in SUP was that its physical conditioning was far superior to all forms of sit down paddling. It's woefully inefficient and slow though.

I am not sure why you view that as the complete opposite. I agree with both of you to some degree, but not completely. Sit down did feel right when I was younger, especially whitewater kayaks. You don't just ride in a whitewater kayak, you wear it. But it doesn't feel right anymore; my back and hips burn when I can't move around, stand and stretch from time to time. My shoulders can't handle some of the motions, especially high braces (even after or maybe especially after both shoulders have been surgically repaired). Flat water kayaking where I don't have to high brace and can get out every few minutes is okay at best.

I like the superior exercise, viewpoint and personal comfort of SUP. If I have to pick one as the main reason, it would be comfort or at least the escape from discomfort. But if the other reasons weren't part of the equation I might not like it enough to do it regularly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:56:50 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 07:29:07 AM »
Having fund-raiser races for different causes brings paddles of all levels together.    It's still a race , not a serious one, yet fun for all.   Junior life guard programs, coastal rescue organizations, cancer etc all benifit.    There is one every year on the Cental coastin Sept.   $40 dollar entrance fee yields you a nice shirt, a very good tri-tip lunch with all the fixins and good 6.5 mile open ocean paddle.   Everyone is smilling, all go home tired, sore, full of food and if the swell is up lots good stories.    Something to concider for those who like to throw races out there.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »

I'll pass, the whole sitting down idea just doesn't sit well with me :D isn't there a sit-down zone?  ??? Maybe not, sounds reprimanding. How would you make it great again?

Sitting down on a surfski is much harder than standing on a SUP. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »

Surfski's, Foils, Kiting and windsurfing all have learning curves that will deter most people. OC-1's and SUP's are fun the first time. OC-1's are expensive, not usually for rent and awkward to store and handle. SUP easy easy fun.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »

Surfski's, Foils, Kiting and windsurfing all have learning curves that will deter most people. OC-1's and SUP's are fun the first time. OC-1's are expensive, not usually for rent and awkward to store and handle. SUP easy easy fun.

I completely agree with this. This is why sup’s Leisure class has grown so quickly as the price of admission in terms of both skill and a basic board is pretty low.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM