Author Topic: New Member in Carlsbad, Ca  (Read 2836 times)

Carlsbad_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
New Member in Carlsbad, Ca
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
I just wanted to introduce myself and get going on this forum. I live in Carlsbad, Ca and mostly paddle in the lagoon, just down the street. I have been searching for info here and it has been very helpful to say the least. My new-to-me board is a 12'6" Amundson TR-29, I just picked up yesterday. Super stoked on that and can't wait to give it a proper shake down. Looking forward to spending more time here.

Jason

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Member in Carlsbad, Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »
Welcome. At least for surfing, this place is an incredible resource. Both a great searchable archive as well as live responses.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »
This a great forum.  So many wonderful people, and LOTS of information.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
Welcome... and congrats on the Amundson... those are great boards.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
Paddling is such a great exercise. You are going to enjoy putting miles on that new board. There's a strong paddling community up here in Dana Point Harbor. You should check it out some day. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »
Nice to have you here Jason!

Great area you live in.... I am looking forward to your input  :)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
Welcome to the Zone! 
And as for your board, I read a review where it was said that your board "surfs well in small waves."  Sounds like a winner.  Hope to see you out and about soon.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
Welcome,

Lots of fun waves just do it all that is the fun of SUP
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Carlsbad_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and letting me join in!

I've been up to Dana Point and actually demo'd a couple boards up there. I was set to buy an Infinity 12'6" Wide Aquatic Tour, after getting to paddle it over this past weekend, but found the Amundson the next day and couldn't pass it up. I have been surfing most of my life and like to paddle the lagoon when the waves are crappy. That's why I chose a touring style board to get started on. I have SUP surfed once so far and will for sure be doing it again! Now I'm on the hunt for a new paddle... 8)

Jason

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
Welcome to the Zone
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
I'm in Encinitas closest to Beacons, I SUP surf 95% of the time. When it's really flat I take out an old 10.6 in surf SUP and paddle five or six miles up and down the coast.  I paddled  sea kayaks when I moved to San Diego 20 years ago and spent some time paddling the lagoon with friends I was introducing to the sport; water quality is a big issue.    My advice would be when the weather improves a bit and the waves and wind are manageable get out of the lagoon and out on the coast .  There are beautiful spots to paddle up and down the coast and protected areas like the cove of Lajolla, and good places to launch and land in manageable surf at the Warm Water Jetties,  Cardiff Reef, Seaside. Learn to read the surf forecasts at NWS Surf Forecast Sand Diego, Solspot, Magic Seaweed and Surfline  and follow the conditions at the CDIP Recent Observed buoy website.

Be very careful around the outflow of the lagoons when there are tide changes.  A woman on a SUP drowned this fall where you paddle on the floating buoys across the channel mouth; she got sucked under the barrier and couldn't get her leash loose.

Carlsbad_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply seadart! I fully plan on getting on the open ocean, conditions permitting. As far as paddling in the lagoon, I do my best to stay on top of my board and not go swimming lol. If the waves are good, I usually surf on my longboard and Beacons is my favorite break. Lots of good times there! La Jolla is a favorite of mine as well...

;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Paddle on, Carlsbad_Sup! Carlsbad huh? Nice place to call home. Paddling has changed my life and most others here. and sharing on this forum is amazing. Kind of a heaven in cyberspace if you will, w/all the cr@p that's out there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:20:49 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Carlsbad_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:03:13 PM »
Paddle on, Carlsbad_Sup! Carlsbad huh? Nice place to call home. Paddling has changed my life and most others here. and sharing on this forum is amazing. Kind of a heaven in cyberspace if you will, w/all the cr@p that's out there.

I've spent a bit of time checking out all of the great content here, and I agree! I'm glad I joined and look forward to spending more time here. I jumped right in and picked up a new BP Hydro last week. Stoked...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal