Author Topic: new to foil world  (Read 4326 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: new to foil world
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 12:38:12 PM »
Less talk here of Foils BUT we all learned 2 years ago on the Kai Foil. I might never use the KAI foil again in Surf. 

Some of the difficulty of learning to fly was learning on TOO SMALL a foil. 

The GoFoil IWA sized wing is the perfect size for DOING everything on a SUP-Foil board.  It can be the Go-To wing in waves from 4 to 15 feet.  Just move your foot placement and switch out to a smaller tail and the IWA can do almost everything (given today's neophyte perspective).

The Maliko 200 is ideal in waves of 1 ft to 5.5 feet. 

The period of the wave also matters.  On the East coast of the US I could comfortably fly the Maliko 200 in almost all wave conditions because wave periods during the summer were typically 6 to 10 seconds, short period slow waves.  The IWA was lackluster and couldn't fly. 

On the West coast of the US where we get longer period >= 13 seconds waves the IWA is the preferred wing.  The Maliko 200 can struggle to keep pace with the wave if it is small but longer period fast moving wave.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »
True that^^, even at my weight the Iwa is my goto now. The speed is a substantial jump from the M200. I still use my M200 in punky waves, but I miss the speed, which is currently my only hope for staying in the energy since I'm still not getting high enough, soon enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »
thanks WindJunkie, I'm looking at either of these two board. I understand that the 7'5x30 would be ideal to learn because you can paddle easily and the foil count is better but maybe will have to sell the 7'5 later on once my skill improves and buy 6'11.
The liters difference on each board is a lot and I get the feeling that maybe the 7'5 might be too much of a large side and the 6'11 122ltrs almost match my sup surfboard of 115ltrs and I'm hoping the foil will add that extra stability and drag. I have ridden 7'11x28 vanguard sup shape board in the past and that felt nice and whippy but we're talking about foiling now. Maybe I'll have both and buy 7'5 1st then 6'11 later-on  :)

- 6’11” X 29″,  4 3/8″ thick, 122 liters
- 7’5″ X 30″,  4 5/8″ thick, 152 liters

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

The period of the wave also matters.  On the East coast of the US I could comfortably fly the Maliko 200 in almost all wave conditions because wave periods during the summer were typically 6 to 10 seconds, short period slow waves.  The IWA was lackluster and couldn't fly. 

On the West coast of the US where we get longer period >= 13 seconds waves the IWA is the preferred wing.  The Maliko 200 can struggle to keep pace with the wave if it is small but longer period fast moving wave.

I use IWA and 200 also.  This is incredibly good advice which you would not see anywhere else, but I have found to be absolutely true.    There is something else though, it depends a lot on the specific wave and how steep it is and how well it progresses right-to-left (or left-to-right).  Because we don't ride waves straight to the beach, it is possible to ride fast on a short period wave or slow on a long period wave by cutting harder (or not) across the face. 

In general, if I think I am going to have to ride a wave quickly I use the IWA.  The 200 is great for more relaxed rides that aren't as fast.  Honestly, it kind of feels like a shortboard/longboard kind of difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal