Author Topic: new to foil world  (Read 4327 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
new to foil world
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:30:17 PM »
new to SUP foil but I surf SUP as a beginner to intermediate on 8x30 115L board and I weight 80kg 5'6".

What board size would you recommend and what size foil and anything that I miss to ask and need?

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new to foil world
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »
Hi Jeg, where are you located ?
I recommand you go as short as possible but keep in mind you need to be comfortable. So at least the same width even wider and more volume than your sup.
I would say between 7' and 7'6.
It is hard to find those boards in the market (chinese production board are usually too long and too heavy...).
I would go custom, if you are in southern California, Kings have a good experience making custom foil sup, same thing with Brawner (San Clemente).
The combo Gofoil IWA/M200 is one the best option for sure.

So yes it is pricey but worth it.

For sup foiling you need to be comfortable paddling surf stance to catch the wave, and you need to able to go straight paddling on one side. So I would recommand you work on this on your current board (for exemple you can put really small fins so you will have to get used to the row of a smaller board).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 04:37:44 PM »
At your weight you can go pretty small, and small is easier once you get it in the air--and there's the rub. You'll find a small foil board hard to stand on initially, simply because they move very differently from a normal SUP. No surprise, there's a big wing and mast under the water moving the board in strange ways. Ultimately, that wing and mast adds a huge amount of stability, but you have to get used to the way that stability is delivered. Today on several occasions I had my board tilted by chop at an angle that would be unrecoverable on a SUP. You get used to pulling back from that precipice, but it takes time to know you don't need to fall off when half the board is tilted underwater.

If you go small--say 6' X 28" you will be falling off and cursing me for a week or so, but then you'll be OK. A safer bet initially is short and wide--say 6'5" X 31", but you'll find that a bit challenging to paddle straight and therefore hard to catch waves with. Like paddling a manhole cover.

Anything you get that is usable once you learn the basics will be very uncomfortable at first. A comfortable board will foil poorly and requires much more work to manage pitch.

Even Mr. Fugly 7'2" X 32.5" was uncomfortable at first. I fell off the back a thousand times. I'm now getting used to a smaller version of the same design at 6"11" X 30.5" and I'm back to falling off for no appurtenant reason. It's simply part of the deal. I weigh 235 and I'm 72, which is significant only in that my balance is not as good as someone in their 50's. If I can manage a board under 7' then anyone can. At your weight and height I'd consider 6' X 28" to be a big board.

M200/Iwa is a great choice but I'd go M200/Iwa/Kai and the 29" mast at your weight. That will give you two stabilizer sizes to play with which extends the range of all three front wings. M200 will be your goto wing at first, but you'll switch to Iwa/Kai as soon as you start learning to turn. 29" mast is just a better mast. The 24" is a bit flexy. I'll probably never use mine again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:44:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
thanks for the feedback frenchfoiler & PonoBill.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
Start by watching the Blue Planet vídeos on YouTube. Robert does a great job explaining everything you need to know. I’ve learned so much from those videos. Lots of boards and foils to choose from. Stick with what folks on here are recommending. Just like surfing, once you get comfortable you’ll want a shorter board so don’t go crazy on your first purchase. I went from a 8-0 to a 6-2 in a couple months. Still trying to sell the 8-0. Lol.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
I'm looking into board's in 7s +/-

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
I'm looking into board's in 7s +/-
Just for comparison - I'm 6'1" @ 90kg, and started on a 7'3"x28x4.5" (currently on a 6'0"x29x4.75") - and I'd recommend you stay right at that 7' mark, and better yet....as PB suggested, I'd concur with going more towards the 6'0" to 6'6" range. But I'd go no wider than 29" on any of them, as foil boards are much more stable and easier to paddle with the big "keel" hanging underneath them than a same sized SUP, so wide is not really all the necessary....IMO.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 12:42:15 AM »
PB & SanoSlatchSup, What do you think of the 1st generation foil board 7'3"x30"x3.75" (105L) that doesnt have the new generation foil board's Step Tail & bevelled Rails?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
I think you'll outgrow it quickly, have a difficult time reselling it, and wishing you had bought something smaller, and more current originally.

Unless hanging onto boards you don't use is cool with you (which I have a tendency to do as well :) ), and don't mind buying another after your first 5-15 sessions with that board. JMO naturally.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
I have a slightly different opinion.

I started out with an 8' x 32" L41 modified with Tuttle.  It would be too big now.

Scaled down to 7' 4" L41 Shown and to 6' 6" Easy Foiler by BluePlanet. 

Once I got used to the 6' 6" I thought I would NOT want to go back to the 7' 4".  Until my Easy Foiler got water logged and I started to use the 7' 4" board again.

This board is 100% better in big waves and choppy conditions.  I have cursed myself when the conditions are big e.g. 7 feet to 15 feet or wind chopped from the night before or >> 10 mph and I am on my 6' 6". 

Not many people are talking about this but there becomes a separation where a board like this is similar to a big wave gun.  Add the tall mast and this thing is a cross-over learning board and advanced board. 

Here is an example of a wave I was foiling with Jeff Clark.  I filmed this wave thinking Jeff would take off.  He went over the top.  Then I realized I was going to get cleaned UP.  Unless, I turned and went for it.  I caught this wave on the blue board with the tall mast.  Although it was a whitewater takeoff this shows an example of what / when a bigger board can be better with a foil.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:10:40 PM by Beasho »

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
Beasho, those waves are massive for foiling. I’d guess that less than 5% of the guys foiling are riding waves that big. I need to get back up to HMB and give that a try. I know you guys are getting crazy long rides. You have a really cool setup out there. Looks fun and slightly terrifying.

Evan

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 03:44:45 PM »
PB & SanoSlatchSup, What do you think of the 1st generation foil board 7'3"x30"x3.75" (105L) that doesnt have the new generation foil board's Step Tail & bevelled Rails?

I have one of the Jimmy Lewis hovercraft boards--an 8'5" X something. They are fine for stability but harder to get off the water. There's a lot of tail volume behind the mast that keeps you from pushing the tail down and the nose up. You can catch waves but you won't really get the little pop-up pump that most folks develop pretty quickly if they start off with a bevel-tailed board. I think that board actually foced me into a bad habit of taking off flat and straight rather than picking the nose up and turning across the wave on the drop. Many sessions later I'm still working on staying high on the wave by turning as soon as I get power and lift. People overcome that stuff, there's a guy I foil with often that has a hovercraft that he can pump the hell out of, but why start off with something that will teach you bad habits. The current generation boards get off the water quick and clean, and can turn sharper even when you don't really have them high enough.

Beasho, I DO know what you mean, I'm very tempted to do a long, narrow foilboard for bigger waves. One thing Mr. Fugly did for me is make me appreciate larger waves. It's much harder to drop into a big wave on my 6'10" Kalama with essentially the same design as my 7'2. Part of it is the greater volume in Fugly's nose which keeps it from burying on a late, steep drop, but part is that it just paddles faster. Fugly does fine on overhead plus, and I feel confident on big powerful waves with it. The 6'10" not so much. I have a 9' Foote SUP surfboard that I think would make a great board for bigger days
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
thanks Beasho & PB, I guess there's a reason why they created 2nd generation foil board's and correct length of the board is another thing to consider.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 04:03:28 AM »
BEASHO, I could not agree more.  My 7' 2" is the go to board when conditions are big and/or choppy.  My 6' Fugly only comes out to play when its small and calm.  Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but it always feels harder when conditions overwhelm it and me. 

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
This is a hard question to answer without seeing your balance abilities and the type of conditions you'll be in.  If you have great balance and glass conditions you'll need less board. 

Everyone is progressing down to smaller boards but, starting out, you want wave count to get flight time.  I would recommend going with a bigger board initially that has some glide to help get into waves easy.  The foil does stabilize the board so you don't need that much width.  You're a fairly light person and something in the 6-6 to 7-0 range would still give some glide.  If you're already feeling good at 115 liters, it's probably a good starting point. 

All that being said and it sounds like you have interest or availability of Jimmy Lewis boards, probably the 6-5 flying v would be a good fit.  The 6-11 seems like too much volume for you even though the glide would be better.  I'm a bit heavier than you but the 6-11 was a wave catching machine for me. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal