Author Topic: Zoners near Norfolk?  (Read 2794 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Zoners near Norfolk?
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »
Are any of you close to Norfolk?  There’s a board there I’d like to get checked out.
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/spo/d/virginia-beach-jimmy-lewis-stand-up/6838638408.html

Thanks!

supthecreek

Re: Zoners near Norfolk?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:44:41 AM »
Hi Claudia,
It looks like a good board at a decent price.
If it is still available, just drive over there, offer a bit less, and buy it (if it is a weight reasonable for you)
Then go paddling in VA Beach estuaries!

Worst case, you get a great excuse to go to the beach!

Peace
Rick

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:20:30 AM »
Hard to beat JL for quality, I've had my 9'6" B&B for several years now with out any issues.  But, like my B&B, that Hanalei has the old style handle which some might find to be not as comfortable as the newer ledge style handles.  It's always good to know as much as possible before you pull the trigger...maybe there is some additional wiggle room on the price. ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Just wanted to point out that this board will be tippy. It's also deceivingly low (160L) in volume with very thin rails for a 10'-8" x 28" board. It's only 4.5" thick. If there's wind chop you may not feel like paddling it. It's a quality board for sure, but oddly on the thin and tippy side for a board that's all most 11 feet long. It's almost in the range of a prone long board for me ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:47:34 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:55 AM »
Thanks, all.  I might drive over next week and take a look at it if he still has it.  It looks pretty good from here! 
I thought about the tippiness, too.  I think it would be a challenging board that ends up being fun. 
I doubt I could give him more than $500, which he’d be cray to accept, but hey, maybe he’s crazy!

Rick, are you going through Norfolk on your trip south?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
Hard to beat JL for quality, I've had my 9'6" B&B for several years now with out any issues.  But, like my B&B, that Hanalei has the old style handle which some might find to be not as comfortable as the newer ledge style handles.  It's always good to know as much as possible before you pull the trigger...maybe there is some additional wiggle room on the price. ;D

Bean, how old would the board be to have the old style handle?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
He said this is the only big ding he could find.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
Just wanted to point out that this board will be tippy. It's also deceivingly low (160L) in volume with very thin rails for a 10'-8" x 28" board. It's only 4.5" thick. If there's wind chop you may not feel like paddling it. It's a quality board for sure, but oddly on the thin and tippy side for a board that's all most 11 feet long. It's almost in the range of a prone long board for me ::)

TallDude, his ad says the board is 29”, but I don’t know.  I wonder what the thinking was behind the width?  I’m pretty short, so it might be okay for me.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »

Bean, how old would the board be to have the old style handle?
[/quote]

Not sure about the time frame, but in this case I can tell simply by the picture.  It shows the wavy finger patern of the old style handle as opposed to a straight patten on the ledge style.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »

TallDude, his ad says the board is 29”, but I don’t know.  I wonder what the thinking was behind the width?  I’m pretty short, so it might be okay for me.
I see that. It reminds me of the 10' 6 Naish Nalu which is about the same volume. I'm sure it will be fine if you're not that tall. You can always add a glue on strap handle. My wife has an easier time carrying boards with them. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
It’s a 7hr drive.  If it were a sure thing...but, it’s not.
I can still get the Cruise Control for around 1050, with shipping.  I don’t know if that’s the best $1000 board out there, though.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
There’s also this, vs a new Cruise Control:
https://charleston.craigslist.org/spo/d/wadmalaw-island-naish-nalu-114-sup/6820611419.html

I’d like the $500 range, though.  Charleston is an easy enough drive.

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
I love my 10'8 Hanalei - it surfs great and I'must more than happy paddling it when it's flat, but it's a 2015 board with the new ledge handle. I moved on to it from a Starboard Wipepoint 10'5 and didn't have an issue dropping down from a width of 32" to 29". The Starboard had an older 'slot' style handle which I didn't like and the ledge handle on the Hanalei is a vast improvement and makes carrying a big board much easier (especially after a session when tired!). Definitely something to consider.
The deal on the cruise control looks amazing. I've never ridden one so it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the Hanalei.
All the best with your decision!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »
s4e, It took some looking...  but, I found the shot with the two Nalu. (s?)   I have fond memories of the 10-6 but my hazy recall tells me the 11' was just too much - more beasty than the 10-6  ..windage, mass, etc.  If you are small, hit the gym  ...bulk-up.   

That JL looks virtually new to some boards I have seen.  Good parentage too. Put a sticker on that chip.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
s4e, It took some looking...  but, I found the shot with the two Nalu. (s?)   I have fond memories of the 10-6 but my hazy recall tells me the 11' was just too much - more beasty than the 10-6  ..windage, mass, etc.  If you are small, hit the gym  ...bulk-up.   

That JL looks virtually new to some boards I have seen.  Good parentage too. Put a sticker on that chip.

Jim

I want a good board for a good price, but it’s true, I don’t want a monster.  Options now:  an 11’4 Nalu GTW, a JL CC, or that Hanalei.  The Hanalei is my top choice, but it’s a long drive....I have time to think about it.  I couldn’t go till next week (Wednesday works for him), and it might be sold by then.  I really like the look of it....I want it to be The One.  🙂

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal