Author Topic: Punched out the back early  (Read 1656 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Punched out the back early
« on: March 17, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
After a several hundred yard ride, I found myself deciding whether riding out the last couple hundred yards on this less than perfect wave was worth the paddle back out.  Decided to punch out early and get back out to catch a better one.  Crazy that it has come to this.   With surfing and SUP surfing;  if I was in the right spot, made the drop, with nobody else in position that would be a victory.   Now that we can get onto any wave we want AND be clear of anyone else - we can afford the luxury to be super selective.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Punched out the back early
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
That's the mark of an experienced surfer. Guppies like me try to wring the last few feet out of a wave, and then struggle back out, while the folks that know are taking the tenderloin out of every wave they get--and going back for more while I'm pushing through whitewater.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:12:21 AM »
The way I see it,  As long as I'm flying, the world is a beautiful place.  Ill take it for as long as I can.  The longer paddle out just lets all the other people in the line-up get their time on the waves.  The challenge of staying on the ever diminishing wave just prepares me for those downwind days.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
This becomes more so when you can start to pump back out , cut the wave short come off with speed and pump onto the one behind eventually linking up several waves. If you do ride the full length this will kill the best pumper trying to pump all the way back. I myself tend to ride the wave full length and tap back out or do walk arounds. I’m more like SUPeter I like linking up all the broken bits where as some of the crew I foil with only ride the main section of the wave and pump back out , these guys have it so wired they do very little paddling. We have some great breaks which are pretty well only foilers and every wave is a party wave with foilers flying in every direction. It’s gets pretty entertaining at times watching all the different styles & mishaps . Some guys milk the wave to the last inch , the pump monsters do their laps and some guys are just happy to make the take off cruise along and come off the wave with control for a shorter paddle back out saving their strength so they can stay out longer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:54:41 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal