Author Topic: Perfect Morning  (Read 2397 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Perfect Morning
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »
No wind, clean waves, not that meany people out. I foiled from 6:00AM to 8:15--came in to get some food and water and say Evan going out. Quick fuel stop and a bit of stretching for my creaky hips then back out until 11:30 or so. Just too good to quit. When I got home I couldn't undo my seat belt--I got ab cramps every time I reached across to undo it. So totally worth it.

Flew the Iwa all morning and actually made a few decent turns. I'm still working on staying in the Energy. Evan Loyd was ripping with a M200, he's got the turn thing down and was getting some ridiculously long rides.

He's going to think it's like this all the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Perfect Morning
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm stoked but a bit apprehensive. I'm feeling like I'm flying all the time these days.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
No biggie, got plenty of surfboards if you don't like it. Could be just like the first time you tried SUP.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
Pono, I envy all the foiling options Maui has to offer.

I’ve tried a few spots here, and am alternating between two of them.
They can be fickle and super tide sensitive (for a beginner, me).
But, I bought a bigger prone board and now have no issues flying (don’t ask about turning).

It’s 5’4”x21”x3”
My session today was great!
I’m eying the 5’6” Kalama Sup foil board after I get this flying contraption comfortably wired.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:39:03 PM »
Mr. Fugly is immense--7'2" X 32" X RFT(really fucking thick), but I'm going to try Randy the lifeguard's (I don't know his last name) 6"11 X 31.5" X NSFT (not so fucking thick) tomorrow. I expect it to be a perfect step down for me.

Prone guys get the turning down pretty quickly. I think they realize they aren't flying the board sooner and start paying attention to the wing. Today I made about ten turns that I felt pretty good about. My control wasn't anything to write home about. One of the really good women foilers let out quite a scream when I momentarily headed right for her. I was still at least 50 feet away and she should have known I was going to wander away from that course--I hadn't been going straight for more than five seconds all morning. But I have to admit, a guy my size with an uncertain degree of control bearing down on me would probably elicit some kind of squeak from me.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »
What an amazing session. I logged over 10 miles on my Apple Watch. 1/2 mile paddle out with a 1/2 mile ride. I’m probably exaggerating a little bit, but  not much. It was so great to finally meet Bill and watch him catch some waves.  What a great guy.

The Maui foiling scene is unbelievable. I’ve never seen 30+ Foilers in one spot. Everyone was hooting and cheering each other on. I told Bill that Maui has ruined CA. The waves have been so amazing. I’ve never paddled with such speed and power. Even when the wave went green, you could still feel it pushing you along. It was unreal.

Thanks Bill for showing me your special wave. It was just stupid awesome.

Evan

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:00:27 PM »
It's certainly a big plus to have our own skatepark. Ka'a isn't of much interest to surfers. When I used to SUP surf at Kanaha I would occasionally paddle down to surf there on big days when the crowd at Kanaha was too much. I called it the Rock Garden. The outside reef wave is fun to surf, but the broad curving reef that makes it a playground for foils can be flat out mean on a SUP and the inside lagoon is gutless for a surfboard and perfect for a foil.

Fun to meet you Evan, you had quite a grin on your face. You looked a little giddy. That was a particularly good day. Last year we had days like that every week, this year it's been a bit less cooperative. It's also a benefit that most of the people are quite a bit better than me and a lot are world class--it makes it easy to get instruction. Also makes it a lot safer. I don't think I'd want to foil with 30+ people at my level.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:28 AM »
My sup lines are more impressive, but that was fun. :)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 11:29:53 AM »
I logged over 9 miles. My shoulders are feeling it today.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
Evan, are you going to post up a Lloyd Living video of your foiling excursions there? 

The mainland foil park has been beautiful the last few days too.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
I think I’ve got enough footage to put together a video. It’s been a pretty rad trip.

Evan, are you going to post up a Lloyd Living video of your foiling excursions there? 

The mainland foil park has been beautiful the last few days too.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 07:23:39 PM »
Here are a couple shots from Friday’s session. It was super fun out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal