Author Topic: Roof transport in summer  (Read 13617 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Roof transport in summer
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
My Acura wagon and MB SUV bars are spaced ~40", but that's not terribly important.   I'd guess 95% of the time (with only one board) I do not strap the rear.*  Rather, I double strap the front crossbar. (I make my straps) The board does not move, so I found a rear strap unnecessary for the 45min ride there-n-back.

Jim

I'm just old fashioned.

In my photo, I had to hurry because of the fast approaching thunderstorm and it's lightning bolts. The front strap is double strapped over the top of the first crossbar closest to my windshield. When I was tying the strap, the lightning was getting real close so I just squeezed the two straps together so it looks like it is only one strap and not two straps. If I had the time, I would have both straps tied correctly where both straps on the crossbars would look like the straps on the second crossbar over the extended cab closest to the camper shell.

My board does not move back and forth because the soft roof rack pads do allow anything to slide forwards or backwards. No side to side (lateral) movement because the middle of the board is 30" wide and where both straps are tied across the board and to the roof racks, are "less" than 30" in width.

As soon as I got the board tied onto both roof racks; I ran over to my wife's iPad, snapped two pictures, checked to make sure both pictures took, untied everything, put my board back into the garage as well as the Kanulocks and soft roof rack pads. As soon as I did, the sky opened up with a torrent of rain.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
NW,  I remember those crazy storms from my Texas days.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2019, 07:29:35 PM »

My board does not move back and forth because the soft roof rack pads do allow anything to slide forwards or backwards.

I left out a word in the above sentence. It should have read:

My board does not move back and forth because the soft roof rack pads do "not" allow anything to slide forwards or backwards.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:31:31 PM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
Not followed this thread for a while... but I have a small car, Civic, with short roof line. My racks are only 18" apart, and have a set of pads so as not to damage the board. Always strap 2 lines across at each rack, but so much SUP is forward and back the wind does grab its fair share, most SUP's do not have bow/stern connect points. I use the Yak SUPBrah to give nme additional needed security when travelling, I don;t go slow and we do get some serious winds not to mention cross winds when passing a tractor trailer.

The loops the person was asking about I've seen in 2 varieties, the simple set Thule 529, with a gromet you attach to a bolt under your hood, unfortunately some cars like my Civic don;t have a convienet bolt to attach to... Thule makes the 530, and others too,  set of simple loops with a T that you just set under the hood and close it. This si good if you have a contact/connection point on you SUP but without one I use the YakBrah. I generally travel with the board facing forward.
Both styles form other manufacturer's, gromet and T block are also available on the REI site.

My carrier vehicle. loaded and ready to roll 12'6" SUP, with the SupBrah, securing the bow & stern. (Actually a pretty simple setup that a DIY'r could easily make with some line) It takes me less that 15 minutes to load or unload. Been using this system 2+ years and never an issue.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 09:08:24 AM »
Ok.... I gave myself 20min ...and changed up mid-stream.   My first instinct was a basic piece of foam like small pipe insulation with a bit of webbing ..grommet at the end.  Done. 

No - no metal ..for sure not on top. I use a soldering stick for almost everything when it comes to webbing. So I conjured up this ...but, I don't like it. Polypropylene webbing 'fuzes' wonderfully.  You don't really need to sew it, but you can't hack-at-it like this if you want to put tension on it because it is not evenly fuzed.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
Round two...  I needed a thin heat transfer system to get it 'mostly' even.  It was in the knife drawer. Any flame heat source will work.  And, to prevent any slippage, I punched a hole thru the tubing to lock it laterally.  I have not tried it ..to see if the length of the webbing is ok, but I mainly wanted to show how I did it.

If you have any idea, you would like me to try - I got plenty of this c'hit.     Jim

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
... I have a small car, Civic, with short roof line. My racks are only 18" apart, ...

Have you considered the Thule 487 - Traverse Short Roof Adapter?  That would get you to about 28".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:24:14 AM by Bean »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
Wetstuff......so the nylon is melted together, not sewn?  Is this as strong as sewing?

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 07:49:41 AM »
... I have a small car, Civic, with short roof line. My racks are only 18" apart, ...

Have you considered the Thule 487 - Traverse Short Roof Adapter?  That would get you to about 28".

I considered it with my first Civic a 2001, especially after reading the suggestion fomr Yakima and Thule, but ignored the warnings and went with bow & stern lines.. my Civic all alos had sun roofs also. I think when I ordered the Aero Bars I had to pretend my car was a 4dr to get their app to allow me to buy without that adapter.
I've had 3 2dr Civics, 2001, 2012, & 2008, carried Canoes, Kayaks, and SUP for many years many many miles at hi-way speeds and above, usually an hour plus trip for me to the launch site with no issues..

The onle issue I ever had was once with my pre-2001 I had a '91 4 dr Accord, and an old 16' Mohawk Canoe, was using only the small rectangular foam blocks that slip on the gunwale and no center side to side strap... always just strapped it down with bow & stern lines.... mad e a 2+ hour trip into Evergaldes National Park and on the way out on the lonely 2 lane rough blacktop got hit by a surprise Sunny South Florida torrential 10 minute downpour with very high cross wind mini-tornado that blew the canoe over the side off the roof, the mirror caught it and stopped it fomr hitting the ground... ever since that experience I always have center straps side to side and bow/stern lines. Fortunately Hondas have 3 tie down points 2 in front under-behind the bumber and one center rear attached to solid mount points.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »
Hi folks!  Can you throw out suggestions again about the best way to get the board on the roof in the wind?  Thanks!

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »
Hi folks!  Can you throw out suggestions again about the best way to get the board on the roof in the wind?  Thanks!

Two people  :D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2019, 05:58:43 AM »
My thought exactly, Oki...   Never be too proud to ask for a little help. Contact with tarmac is a lot more impactful than a nick in your pride.

Jim

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 06:31:00 AM »
I wish I did have someone to help, and someone to paddle with!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »
When it's windy I will park further away to get a spot that offers a little wind block.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2019, 07:21:25 AM »

This is the technique I have been using (note: I have dinged the tail of my 11' board on the ground using this technique during a strong gust):
When it is windy, have the tie downs straps within reach.  Have something soft on the ground under the tail of your board.  I wear the Beasho SUP shoulder strap, I put the nose of the board on my front roof crossbar, then temporarily secure the Beasho carrying strap around my roof rack.  Then I carefully lift the tail of the board onto the roof rack.  I have one hand on the board, and use the other to put the straps on the board.   I admit that I use kanulocks with the traditional tie down pattern.  Once you can get one tie down secure, you can breathe a sigh of relief.  But when it is windy, this method looks faster and easier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4QOMAJvAAU
When it gets windy, I prefer using a shorter board, which eventually defers to kitesurfing.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal