Author Topic: Roof transport in summer  (Read 13616 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Roof transport in summer
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Have any of you ever transported your board on the car roof for long distances in the summer?  Thinking about cross-country trips, when it can get blazing hot.  Are there any super-protective board bags as far as heat protection?

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Roof transport in summer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
Our SIC F16s live on top of our vans all summer on Maui. We talked to the guys who build the custom SIC boards on Maui, and they recommended against any sealed bags that would be exposed to sun or heat. I ended up buying a couple of "Kore-Dry" bags from Ralph at Sup-position, one of the sponsors of this site. The bags are a soft, thin, but strong material that just covers the side of the boards exposed to the sun, and lets them breath. There is an elastic border that wraps around the rails and holds the bag in place, even at highway speeds. They have worked great for us, and are like new after two summers in the Maui sun. The only downside is that if the bags get wet in the rain, the water stretches them out and they start flapping badly at highway speeds. They are clearly not designed for shipping or ding protection, but for sun and heat. We have been very happy with them for our purposes.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:56:58 AM »
The Kore bags are nice but long haul (higher Speed Driving and rain will stretch them) There are a couple opf Day bag companies that will offer reflective bags with some ding protection.
How big is your board (length & width)

jimK
Extreme Windsurfing

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
I’m not sure on the board yet, but most likely 11x30.  Long haul driving at high speeds in hot sun.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts. 

Given a choice, lighter colors will naturally stay cooler and a passive vent (most boards these days) is a plus.

If the board you end up with has a screw-in vent, remove it when the board will be racked on the car for more than a half hour or so, on hot days.

If it has a passive vent, (gore-tex) I would leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

If you end up falling in love with a dark board, a light colored day-bag or cover will help.  Just don't bag the board while its still wet.  And, you don't need to bag it if you are going to be driving (unless it's bumper to bumper).

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:09:18 PM »
+1 on the Koredry topless board bags.  My 14' Carbon board is on the roof of my truck more days than not.  No worries with it being in direct sunlight.  I've tested the KoreDry bag with a thermometer in direct sun.  Don't remember the exact numbers but it stayed well below the temp where you need to worry about board damage.  I guess they may flap around abit like has been said above, but they're quiet--not like a flapping zipper or handle on a reflective bag thumping at highway speeds.

Good tip from Bean about the vent.  I would be especially cognizant of that if you're changing elevations.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts. 

Given a choice, lighter colors will naturally stay cooler and a passive vent (most boards these days) is a plus.

If the board you end up with has a screw-in vent, remove it when the board will be racked on the car for more than a half hour or so, on hot days.

If it has a passive vent, (gore-tex) I would leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

If you end up falling in love with a dark board, a light colored day-bag or cover will help.  Just don't bag the board while its still wet.  And, you don't need to bag it if you are going to be driving (unless it's bumper to bumper).

Does this mean it’s better to put the bare board on the roof while cruising in the heat?  Why would bumper-to-bumper make a difference?  (It probably will be as long as my little car.). Thanks for the vent tip, too!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »
I normally go 80 in the interstate, but I guess I’ll have to slow down if I have an 11 or 12 foot board on the roof.  Whatever sun/heat protection I use would have to withstand high speeds for up to 12 hours.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 04:36:36 PM »
Why would bumper-to-bumper make a difference?

Convection. While you're moving, wind over the board cools it.

I live in the sub-tropics, and boards on the roof hasn't been a problem as long as the bags are vented. When driving (super slow traffic here), I'll have the board unzipped a little at the forward point, usually fins-first, so the fin slot in the bag might be left open, and air will flow out the vent in the bag nose. When parked, I'll open all the vents in the bag, fin slot, handle slot, and even unzip the entire nose area.

I once left my Kazuma 12-6 race baord in an FCS bag for a day, wet, and zipped up. It caused some weird damage to the bottom of the board. Like something came out of the epoxy, and some discoloration. A little sanding fixed it, but still...pretty careful about heat now...

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »
I travel with some large boards (Mistral Unlimiteds & 14 ft. race boards) for long distances at high speeds in strong sunlight. While for a 11 ft. board the typical 36" spacing on roof cross bars is OK when you get to 14' or longer and especially with a cover, I would start to get nervous. I use a Goodboy Kayak rack with the flatter V bars and their shock cord tie downs vs. straps. To me tie downs on a fragile race board is an accident waiting to happen.  I run a double set with the second one with slightly less tension as a back up. Kore Dry makes a fine product, and would not recommend the more protective covers for travel, as they can become a disaster in a heavy rain storm, as they can fill up with water.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
I travel with some large boards (Mistral Unlimiteds & 14 ft. race boards) for long distances at high speeds in strong sunlight. While for a 11 ft. board the typical 36" spacing on roof cross bars is OK when you get to 14' or longer and especially with a cover, I would start to get nervous. I use a Goodboy Kayak rack with the flatter V bars and their shock cord tie downs vs. straps. To me tie downs on a fragile race board is an accident waiting to happen.  I run a double set with the second one with slightly less tension as a back up. Kore Dry makes a fine product, and would not recommend the more protective covers for travel, as they can become a disaster in a heavy rain storm, as they can fill up with water.

I do worry about “lift off”!  So the Kore Dry covers are sufficient for keeping the boards protected from the sun?  How do you secure them on the board so they don‘t come off when they stretch due to rain?

How do you use the V-bars with your flat boards?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:45:06 AM by spirit4earth »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »
Sorry to the folks that sell bags but you should have no issues driving as long as the boards are white bottom and vented.

I have left my board on my car for a week in so cal summer (Valley) with no ill effects. If you have a color, I’d honestly spray the bottom white before I’d cook it in a closed bag in desert heat.

Anyone here have any actual experience to refute this? I’m betting that hundreds of thousands of boards travel bagless all summer.

Again, this changes if it’s not white but a white board will be cool when you touch it. Try it for a day in your yard in the sun and see.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
Sorry to the folks that sell bags but you should have no issues driving as long as the boards are white bottom and vented.

I have left my board on my car for a week in so cal summer (Valley) with no ill effects. If you have a color, I’d honestly spray the bottom white before I’d cook it in a closed bag in desert heat.

Anyone here have any actual experience to refute this? I’m betting that hundreds of thousands of boards travel bagless all summer.

Again, this changes if it’s not white but a white board will be cool when you touch it. Try it for a day in your yard in the sun and see.

I hear you!  I’m not getting a BIC, but I asked Jimmy Blakeney about this several months ago, and he said the BIC boards are good to go on the roof.  I’d want to have some rock and bug protection, though.  My car was plastered in bugs after driving cross-country. 
I like to hear first-hand accounts like yours.  Real-world experience.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
Both of my 404 boards spend a lot of time on my Trac racks.

Matt white Sunny side up no issues. Green side up not so much. A slight fade.

Also have a bag that I used when taking them to races, but that is no longer a concern.

It would be fun to be in Cal and race in the 70+
class..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »
I ordered a white day bag from Vitamin Blue for car and boat transfer!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal