Author Topic: Naish 2020 Inflatable SUPs  (Read 20530 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish 2020 Inflatable SUPs
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
...which is a polite way of saying that it’s total b*llocks.

But that won’t stop anyone believing it.

ALL HAIL NOODLE POWER!!!

STRENGTH THROUGH WEAKNESS!!

Make iSUPS great again :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2019, 04:17:45 AM »

One correction, iSups were never great  :D
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2019, 05:19:37 AM »

Well, that’s a bit harsh. Some uses:

1. They make a good picnic table on the beach.
2. You can fashion a wind-break out of them.
3. You can use it as a makeshift mattress.
4. You can use it as a football target.
5. You can signal how little you care about the joy of paddling.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 06:19:24 AM »

Well, that’s a bit harsh. Some uses:

1. They make a good picnic table on the beach.
2. You can fashion a wind-break out of them.
3. You can use it as a makeshift mattress.
4. You can use it as a football target.

Or perhaps joy is different things to different people and one shouldn't judge what makes others happy as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone else. I enjoy some social recreational paddles. I paddle for exercise sometimes in situations where carrying a hard board would be inconvenient at best. Fortunately I can enjoy being on a board  that won't win any races or surf well. Sometimes "different strokes" can have a very literal meaning.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »

It's a good point but It's very obvious you haven't used one in a while, the most common usage:
It cools you down when you deflate and the end of the workout :D
in progress...

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2019, 06:40:22 AM »
Settle down chaps. News just in from Reuben at SUPboarder supboardermag.com
In their reviews they have a deflection test. The board is place over a gap of 1.5m and a weight of 75kg (165lbs) is placed on top. Sag/deflection is measured and the results below. A lower number indicates less deflection/sag and can be translated into being a stiffer board.

NEW 2020 Naish Maliko 7mm
Red Paddle Co Elite 2017 10mm / 2018 11mm
NEW 2020 Naish Glide 12mm
Staboard Airline 2018 13mm
Starboard Touring 2018 DC 14mm

Reuben says his full review should be up this week.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 06:51:01 AM »
Settle down chaps. News just in from Reuben at SUPboarder supboardermag.com
In their reviews they have a deflection test. The board is place over a gap of 1.5m and a weight of 75kg (165lbs) is placed on top. Sag/deflection is measured and the results below. A lower number indicates less deflection/sag and can be translated into being a stiffer board.

NEW 2020 Naish Maliko 7mm

That's pretty impressive considering the All-Star carbon measured at 5mm.
in progress...

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2019, 06:48:26 AM »
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:07 AM »
Well done Naish. The Maliko goes straight to the head of my iSUP desirability list.

However, the review video demonstrates extremely well the weakness of the kind of static deflection test being used.

Although 7mm is very little “bend” in the board when you bear in mind that the Starboard carbon hard board bent by 5mm, when the video shows the paddler bouncing up and down in the board it’s is clear that there is the usual iSUP “boing” going on. No way in hell would the hard board be flexing like that.

So, it might not be flex at the midpoint under a static load that is the meaningful thing to address in an iSUP, especially if you want to make it fast. This might be the reason why the Maliko was apparently not as fast (as reported in the review) as some other iSUPs, rather than the reason being the weight, as suggested in the review. I don’t think that weight, within reason, makes a huge difference in average speed in windless flat conditions. But width, nose shape, rocker, and stiffness in the nose especially, might well make a huge difference.

It’s also a shame that the review didn’t try the Maliko for surf/downwind or ocean compared to other boards. The ULI-style wiki rail at the rear could really make it shine then.

Next time, Naish, please let’s have some sidebite fins fitted as well (zero toe-in). They would make the board track better, increase speed, and improve handling downwind and in beach races etc. You could make them a USP.

wilder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
I love 14' iSUP's for use on class 1-2 rivers. I have been using my Imagine 14' connector for 3 years now and I'm amazed at the abuse it has taken. It's been great for long downriver expeditions (like 70 miles a day!) but I want something a little skinnier and stiffer. 

I really like the Maliko, but wish it had the touring features (handles, more bungee space), especially because it apparently has more volume (which doesn't make sense since its 3 inches skinnier and same thickness and length?). Those extra handles at the nose and tail are super useful on the river for portaging. But I would still pick the Maliko over the two because I like the dimensions more and bungees and handles can be added.

Also, one of the few benefits to having a "noodly" board is it can be less fatiguing to the paddler in rough conditions. Kind of like super plush suspension on a Cadillac. It's not going to improve the performance but it will be more comfortable for the user over rough terrain and long distance, at least that's been my experience

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
I love 14' iSUP's for use on class 1-2 rivers. I have been using my Imagine 14' connector for 3 years now and I'm amazed at the abuse it has taken. It's been great for long downriver expeditions (like 70 miles a day!) but I want something a little skinnier and stiffer. 

I really like the Maliko, but wish it had the touring features (handles, more bungee space), especially because it apparently has more volume (which doesn't make sense since its 3 inches skinnier and same thickness and length?). Those extra handles at the nose and tail are super useful on the river for portaging. But I would still pick the Maliko over the two because I like the dimensions more and bungees and handles can be added.

Also, one of the few benefits to having a "noodly" board is it can be less fatiguing to the paddler in rough conditions. Kind of like super plush suspension on a Cadillac. It's not going to improve the performance but it will be more comfortable for the user over rough terrain and long distance, at least that's been my experience

Handles and tie-downs are super easy and cheap to install on such board: https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=93
Amazon may land you even greater selection at various price points.
in progress...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »
yeah Amazon is cheap - less than $20 gets you 6 stainless d-rings and some bungee cord.
and color options. put 'em all over the board. I bought some sets last year at $12-ish for 4 and they were pretty easy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/simhoa-Paddleboard-Bungee-Rigging-D-Ring/dp/B07KZWTXW7/ref=pd_day0_hl_0_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07KZWTXW7&pd_rd_r=80377496-5339-11e9-a56e-99f017310be1&pd_rd_w=AqyNN&pd_rd_wg=bDxIs&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=YKH6S6PDRQFWFW64XQFA&refRID=YKH6S6PDRQFWFW64XQFA

No question - isup can bump along rocks and no damage. That and that folding fin from frogfishfins.com and you are good to go in any creek/stream or babbling brook :D

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
Naish 2020 inflatable paddle boards now available at: https://greenwatersports.com/shop/brand/naish?ref=17
Julian

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Ok, so Caspar raced here in the UK recently, on his Maliko inflatable, against some of the local paddlers (who are definitely very decent paddlers, but not top 10 in the world like Caspar is). Caspar came 4th, around 2 mins behind the winner in a race that was a little over one hour.

So, what do we make of that? The Maliko iSUP has quite a lot of nose rocker, and in the photos from the race, going upwind on a river it looked like that might be an issue, perhaps.

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
  • If in doubt, paddle out
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2020, 08:27:45 AM »

However, the review video demonstrates extremely well the weakness of the kind of static deflection test being used.

Although 7mm is very little “bend” in the board when you bear in mind that the Starboard carbon hard board bent by 5mm, when the video shows the paddler bouncing up and down in the board it’s is clear that there is the usual iSUP “boing” going on. No way in hell would the hard board be flexing like that.

I am aware of the fact that this is an older thread. Got som new info regarding that last sentence. "No way in hell would the hard board be flexing like that". Check out this video. First I thought this was a video of an inflatable board....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDH1W1Mkn4A
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal