Author Topic: Foil SUp Standing Wave Glwd SPrings CO  (Read 2843 times)

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil SUp Standing Wave Glwd SPrings CO
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
Here is some older video from the Glenwood Springs wave park in CO.  I am an avid kite foiler, have foot transitions down etc.  I currently ride a moses 590 and 633 when kiting, 91cm and 111cm ghost whisperer masts.
I also have the slingshot 76cm wing on a 24 inch mast for behind the boat foiling.
Anyway, trying to figure out how to foil on a standing wave.  Thought with all the expertise here, someone might have some suggestions. 

I have three boards, starboard hero carbon, hypelink carbon and a squirt carbon.

The problem is the entrance, lots of rocks in the eddie.  And then the swim would be deadly with the foil.

The  first scene in the video shows paddling in.

Let me know any thoughts you might have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lOyCHeJMkA

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Foil SUp Standing Wave Glwd SPrings CO
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:30:30 AM »
Have a look at this thread, Sam the Surfer has been working on river foiling for a while now:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,32831.0/topicseen.html
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:34:06 AM »
powee wowee

you got game--cant help beyond enjoying the vids!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
shorter mast is better for both rock clearance and turbulence.  The deeper you go the more turbulence you will find.  Standing waves are problematic due to the fact that the  water is usually running over and around ledges and boulders.  Water movement downriver is usually fairly slow so larger wings are needed.  This poses a problem since turbulence has a much greater effect upon larger wings.  It can make an already difficult pastime near impossible.  Everything seems to be just fine when all of a sudden you are ejected by a mass of water moving in an entirely different direction.  I keep looking for just the right standing wave with  more laminar flow characteristics but have yet to locate, the perfect standing wave.  A long ride for me is typically only 15-20 seconds of flight time.   good luck!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
Forgot to mention,  In one spot, I use a ski rope to enter the wave due to kelp guarding the entrance in the eddy.  Another spot, I drop in from above and let the foam pile stop me enough to catch the wave. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »
OK, I must be blind, but as impressive as the whole clip is with the SUP nose riding, and 360s...I'm still not seeing the board come up out of the water like it's on a foil in any of the 1:14 of tha clip. Can someone please give me the second marker where it's happening, and I'm missing it so I don't continue to feel like a complete heel for not seeing it?  :-[
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is old footage on a regular SUP.  It was meant just to show the wave and ask for foiling advice.  Pretty sure, not positive.

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »
Yes no foil in this video.  Showing the wave and wondering how to enter.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:08:40 AM »
Thank you for that, good to know my eyesight is not failing...but apparently my reading comprehension needs a little tune up (or maybe I should read the words, and not just look at the pictures/videos).  8) :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Getting into and out of the water is a big deal even on a surf SUP--a lot of shit to manage in a shore break or on slippery and sharp rocks, and some if it can really hurt you. The mast is a particular bitch. In the unlikely event I was going to consider this (no fucking way) I'd rig something to make that as easy and safe as possible--at the very least a good way to carry it and get into position, at best, a crane to set me down where I need to be. I've watched people beat the living snot out of themselves getting into the water at Glenwood Springs, and they were just carrying a shortboard. I'd want a super short mast, but then you have the likelihood of touching the nose down if you overfoil and lose lift, and touching the rail on every turn, so the board would need a deep curve on the nose like Mr. Fugly and deeply beveled rails.

Other than that all I can say is good luck, and take pictures. I won't be joining you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:24:46 PM »
Hey guys, I’ve set up a bunch of rocks in my driveway. Really big ones. I’m thinking of standing on a ladder on top of two skateboards and running over them.

What’s the best way to make sure I’m going really fast when I hit the rocks? Should I go with a 4’ or 6’ ladder? Should I wear foot straps?

Asking for a friend.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
Hey guys, I’ve set up a bunch of rocks in my driveway. Really big ones. I’m thinking of standing on a ladder on top of two skateboards and running over them.

What’s the best way to make sure I’m going really fast when I hit the rocks? Should I go with a 4’ or 6’ ladder? Should I wear foot straps?

Asking for a friend.

LMFAO  ;D   So good.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »

Asking for a friend.

This one made me smirk.  ;) And if you were wondering, the front foot strap is essential.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
Totally sent in good humor. Glad you guys got a laugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal