Author Topic: Adjusting your rear wing  (Read 4839 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Adjusting your rear wing
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »
Just thought I would share as it really is amazing the difference one washer can make. Won't apply to GF users but will for a few other brands. I recently blew the boxes on a prone board and picked up another which had the boxes just a couple of inches further forward. I just couldn't get the mast back far enough and I was getting launched on the take offs . So I came in and put one washer in the front screw on the rear wing (down tilted ). It was amazing what one tiny washer could make. It basically gave less lift letting me snap to my feet easier and it also had more down force like a rear wing on a race car putting more traction on the rear tyres. So it felt heaps better turning with way more grip. This would also be handy for those sucky days on your Sup.

On the other side of the coin if your foil is slow or hard to rise put a washer in the back screw to "GIve More Lift" (up tilted)  check it out in the pic below.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting your rear wing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
Very useful info. My Kenalu actually came with the washers to make adjustments. It also has two different mounting points for the rear wing.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »
Also, if your rear wing it mounted to the top of the fuselage, you reverse the washer placing for the same effect.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
Good point Exiled very good point and one other thing re top mounted rears is the Slingshot guys have been putting rubber O rings under the wing and Fuselage to let it flex , some very positive feed back from the team riders on this , better pumping and maneuverability from it.
Von Piros Productions

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
Piros - I think you got your downtilt and up tilt cause and effect back to front...

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:45:28 AM »
Yes you are right I’ve got it back to front  ??? Thanks for that I was focusing on the leading edge and not the trailing edge. Such a bone head.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:07:31 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions

Fuzzy Boy

• Fuzzy Boy
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »
Love the washer tip and the comment on box positioning of your mast. There is definitely a sweet spot for postioning of the mast in an adjustable box. Too far forward and it bucks you off or feels unstable.

I stand up foil and last summer when I was starting to foil, I had my mast about 1.5 inches forward in the box. Up to that point I never really had any solid rides for my first 5 sessions (normal experience, yes). On my 6th session I decided to move the mast as far back toward the tail as possible and I have been flying ever since.

Hard to believe that the 1.5” or the washer tip make a difference but these seemingly small adjustments between each session actually work. 

10’ kings SS...86"’ kings crossover...6'2" kings foil
Quickblade...Axis Foil, Kāohi leash...Futures...Paddle Belt

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
changing the incidence angle of the foil shifts the CG of the foil , when your CG is in front of your lift you have a stable foil but may have to have a heavy front leg to keep the nose down

and visa versa ....

if you have too much back foot pressure then your become unstable and the foil will feel squirrely and a difficult foil to ride

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 08:17:33 PM »
I assume you mean the center of lift, The CG won't change.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
the maintain the same altitude your cg will change

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 01:04:48 AM »
I’m going to try this out, as my foil setup is using a large main wing that breaches on me quite often. Plus, I’m a foil n00b and need all the stability I can get.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 03:10:42 AM »
noted:  sweeps flirting with the dark side
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status