Author Topic: 10'4 x 32 Wide Aquatic  (Read 3023 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
10'4 x 32 Wide Aquatic
« on: March 10, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
Wanting to get into sup surfing and was all set on a new deal from Infinity, then got to thinking that it may just be a little out of my experience level even the biggest one they make? I do come from a strong surfing background but have not been surfing in 10 years,, just paddling my race board. So I was thing about the wide aquatic anybody have any experience on one of these boards?
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10'4 x 32 Wide Aquatic
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
Seeing you're just getting into SUP surfing, this would be a good place to start. They are well built. More durable than a new deal, but a little heavier. It's a good shape with a little extra width which will help you get into waves easier at first. It will probably hold it's value and sell little better, but it will be a board you can hold onto for a long time. Ultra light layups can't take too much abuse. You'll end up needing to have a New Deal repaired with in a few uses, whereas the WA will take a lot of abuse. Mostly just chipped paint. You'll probably be surfing at SanO which has a lot of shallow rocks.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:42:04 PM »
Seeing you're just getting into SUP surfing, this would be a good place to start. They are well built. More durable than a new deal, but a little heavier. It's a good shape with a little extra width which will help you get into waves easier at first. It will probably hold it's value and sell little better, but it will be a board you can hold onto for a long time. Ultra light layups can't take too much abuse. You'll end up needing to have a New Deal repaired with in a few uses, whereas the WA will take a lot of abuse. Mostly just chipped paint. You'll probably be surfing at SanO which has a lot of shallow rocks.
Did you check out all the sizes that the new deal offers? I talked to Dave and the WA is a true surf rocker style board, and I agree its probably super stable for me to be just getting into it. And yes SanO and DoHo maybe ill see you sometime, if you don't mind hanging with a newbie ;)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
Dave also said he can make me anything, maybe something between the New Deal and WA????

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 10:00:04 PM »
I would hold off anything truly custom, because you don't really know what you want or need at this point. I just surfed my big 11'-6 Nalu and had a blast. I haven't surfed it in probably a couple years. I forget how fun it is. I have a 9' x 32" with a lot of rocker and a thin tail. It rips on OH waves, but is a dog in the average SanO or DoHo type waves. My 10' x 29" performer long board is the most fun 'on average'. The New Deal is a performer long board, and will surf as such. The RNB is going to turn faster and be looser, but you'll need more skill to really get it to perform. The WA is thicker than both the ND and RNB. You'll gain performance but lose stability with thinner boards.
I would say the 8'8" RNB would be a move up in performance, but you'll lose glide. The ND will have more glide, but the tail is low volume and the board is thinner and narrower so you'll lose stability. SanO is all about slopey glide and fun times. Say hi if you see me out there :D

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:59:18 PM »

You got some great advice from TallDude.  You didn't give your weight, height or age?

Here's another idea.  Find a good used "Cheap" Starboard, Naish or Jimmy Lewis board in the 10'6 to 11 foot range.  Here's a 10'6" Paddle Surf Hawaii on Craigslist.  There are some great deals on good used sup's out there.  Probably be a lot more used sup's in a few weeks when the weather clears up.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/laguna-hills-sup-stand-up-paddle-board/6833713524.html

You will progress quickly!  In a few months (if you sup surf regularly) you will want to own a more high performance sup like a New Deal or custom shaped board.  Just a thought.  First sup surfboards seem to take a beating no matter who rides 'em. 8)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice I will be going to the shop when all the 2019 boards come into the shop, should be any day now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal