General > The Shape Shack

Question about how Jimmy Lewis faired the overlap in this video...

(1/7) > >>

magentawave:
Near the beginning of Jimmy Lewis's video (below) he shows a super trick way of using a grinder to fair where the cloth meets the masking tape. I have always used a single edged razor blade but this seems way better. Anyone done this?

1) What grit do you think I should use to do this? 60??

2) Would this method work with 5.7 oz carbon cloth?

Thanks

TallDude:
First of all. Great video. Anyone who knows Jimmy personally, please tell him that a novice kook glasser like me really appreciates him sharing his secrets.
As for the grit, maybe 120 or 180? I've faired the lap with both. I use a Sureform pocket plane to fair the 5.7 CF by hand first (if you have CF in your lap). It's pretty tough. I'd be worried with 60 or 80 on just Glass. You could do some damage in the blink of an eye. 

Bean:
It seems that he hits it with a grinder first then switches to a soft pad.  The grinder is probably in the sub 50 grit range, and the soft pad in the mid 100’s like TD said.

Sanding CF isn’t difficult but it is a carcinogen for sure, so be careful.

Yup, JL rules...

TallDude:
A little off subject, but I was walking through the CNC dept. at the College I teach at part-time. I looked in a room and saw surfboard blanks and a board cutting CNC machine! I talked to the dept. manager and he said if bring in the foam and the file in 3Dx he'll get a student to cut it for me ;D I have the foam and the file already!

PonoBill:

--- Quote from: magentawave on March 08, 2019, 02:14:55 PM ---Near the beginning of Jimmy Lewis's video (below) he shows a super trick way of using a grinder to fair where the cloth meets the masking tape. I have always used a single edged razor blade but this seems way better. Anyone done this?

1) What grit do you think I should use to do this? 60??

2) Would this method work with 5.7 oz carbon cloth?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I always do it with a grinder. Most of my work is repairs or modifications, so I can't comment on a full lap, but I expect I'd do it that way.

Jimmy is fun to watch. He keeps up a running commentary as he works, that has nothing to do with what he's doing. He's got no filter, even less than I do. I don't know how they kept him on the straight and narrow to do this video.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version