Author Topic: possible E-foil project?  (Read 1671 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
possible E-foil project?
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:02:34 AM »
While at a second hand store the other day I picked up a working fishing trolling motor for $15.  I figured, what the heck?  It may give me enough thrust to at least get my big wing up and flying, its the right size, shape, ......?

Has anyone ever tried using an electric motor like this to create an e-foil?   Just have to figure out the control mechanism required to turn it on and off.  Possibly a cable or wire to a trigger in my hand.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: possible E-foil project?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
I bought a 24Volt, 85 pound thrust trolling motor to do the same thing. It's sitting in my shop, disassembled, waiting for me to do something with it. It's very heavy though, and has an open prop. I tried 3d printing a guard, but it was too flimsy. When I get back to hood river I have a better idea, a tubular shroud added to the blades.

My plan was to mount the thing right underneath the board so it could help me pop up. Now I'm thinking it's too heavy for that purpose and I need to rethink. All I want from an eFoil is the ability to get up without giving myself a hernia. Once I'm up I want to downwind. So I need a light motor and light batteries. I don't need sustained power.

There's a lot of different ways to control a big DC motor, but the simplest approach would be a tethered switch--a momentary pushbutton to control the motor. For my purposes I wouldn't bother with speed control, flat out while the button is pushed and off when it's released so it won't head off without you if you fall.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
Might be a rabbit hole inside of a rabbit hole,  but I often scroll through “efoil builders.com”. Who knows, post a question- maybe you could get a response from  Pacificmeister himself. Check it out.
Cheers

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 04:32:37 AM »
A guy here tried one. No where near enough power.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »
Pacificmeister’s efoil builders site is where you want to be. Everything you need to know is there.

Pono, that’s a great idea and gets you around the drag issue. A bit more battery and it’d get you through those long ass Maui paddles outs too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal