Author Topic: Session and a show  (Read 1459 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Session and a show
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
Great fun foiling today. It was one of those mornings when it's easy to look at the wind and the chop and go get breakfast, but I went, and had a blast. The wind wasn't as bad and the waves were better than they looked. You just gotta pull up your big boy pants and go. Which leads to the second part. It's hard to foil with your board shorts around your knees. I took off on a really nice wave, got it, popped up and turned towards the toe side which is my worst direction, pulled it off, gave a few feeble pumps, and my shorts fell down. Not good. I tried to tough it out but I splatted. Just as well. I don't think anyone saw me, so I got that going for me.

I had some hope for a Maui Biathlon--tried to do a South Side downwinder but the wind didn't cooperate at all. The wind was blistering, but it was way outside and pointed towards Kahoʻolawe. So I just futzed around at the cove, catching some dinky waves on my SIC 17' V2. Then I took a paddle towards North Kihei, went about two miles in no wind, thinking that even if the wind line came in I'd get a easy ride back. So of course the wind blew the wrong way and I had to fight for every foot. As soon as I got to the cove the wind went flat again. Sheesh.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Session and a show
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »
Sounds like a good all around fun day. If I didn't know better I would have thought
you're complaining :)
in progress...

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
It definitely has taken me a little while to wrap my mind around how bad conditions can still be fun, especially now that I have a large foil. I passed on ton of sloppy, windy days this winter that I now know were totally foilable.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
Great fun foiling today. It was one of those mornings when it's easy to look at the wind and the chop and go get breakfast, but I went, and had a blast. The wind wasn't as bad and the waves were better than they looked. 

Your post motivated me to get out there.  It was blowing 15 to 20 NW so the Jetty in Half Moon Bay was the option.  I haven't surfed there much in the last 10 years.  BUT it's been acting like a little foil park.  Feathering on the outside and backing off.

Unlike your situation it was 50 degrees and blowing aka COLD!!!!  However the wave was working and I was flying on almost nothing.  Pretty cool in the grand scheme of things. 

https://youtu.be/NBm2v03g9iI
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:59:51 AM by Beasho »

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:04:28 AM »
Great fun foiling today. It was one of those mornings when it's easy to look at the wind and the chop and go get breakfast, but I went, and had a blast. The wind wasn't as bad and the waves were better than they looked. 

Your post motivated me to get out there.  It was blowing 15 to 20 NW so the Jetty in Half Moon Bay was the option.  I haven't surfed there much in the last 10 years.  BUT it's been acting like a little foil park.  Feathering on the outside and backing off.

Unlike your situation it was 50 degrees and blowing aka COLD!!!!  However the wave was working and I was flying on almost nothing.  Pretty cool in the grand scheme of things. 

https://youtu.be/NBm2v03g9iI

Impressive Beasho!!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal