Author Topic: Cabarete in April  (Read 6712 times)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Cabarete in April
« on: March 06, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
Headed to Cabarete 2nd week in April.  Staying at a resort on the water with my wife.  Any advice on SUP surfing there or general info is welcome.   Will windsurf if there is any wind.   Was wondering about the logistics of board storage if I rent SUP somewhere down the beach for a weekly rate.  Would be trying to surf early am and I wonder what time people are up and about in what seems like a party town.
JP

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cabarete in April
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »
Used to go there on windsurf/surf trips years ago. Very cool and stylish little surf town back then. I know it has grown a lot but I am sure it’s still special.
  I’d usually go in June which was one of the windier months, so I am not sure about April. Even so, I’d surf in the morning when glassy and windsurf in the afternoon when the winds kicked in.
This was before SUP, but there were some fun outer reefs for wave sailing right in Cabarete which I am sure would be fun on a SUP.
It’s now a kiter’s paradise so expect a lo t of kiters on the water.
I’d surf a break to the west between Sousa and Cabarete called Playa Encuentro which could be very good.   I don’t know about SUP rentals, but I am sure there are many businesses that rent them.  Have fun and post photos
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »
Talk to Jens at velacabarete.com about renting SUPs and windsurf gear. The outer reef of the bay is decent early, but can get choppy if the wind comes up (wind usually fills in between 9am to 11am). Nearer to Kite Beach the waves break better and cleaner, at kite beach it does get shallow though. It catches less of the wind also. Not many places offer SUP use/rental on Kite Beach, especially when you want to paddle (sunrise before the wind) but Vela should be able to offer you a board early and/or let you keep it over night. Jens and Audrey will probably paddle with you if they aren't surfing or foiling.

Encuentro is not big on SUP paddlers. Some people go there but you'll be fighting for waves with surfers so you're better off in town.

Which resort?

PM for more info and Jens' direct contact info.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
Kite Beach Cabarete - not often like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0pdIol2nA
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks guys,  I will report back.

Staying at Velero beach resort.  Tried to pick something nice for the lady. 
I did talk to Vela once trying to confirm that I could rent from them with accommodations elsewhere.  Looks like decent equipment.   Will ask for Jens. 

Video looks sweet!  JP

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Cabarete report
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:27:08 AM »
Just returned from the trip,  had two great windsurf days and SUP surfed two mornings.   Rented a Fanatic Allwave 145L model from Ion.   The break was a long haul from our end of the beach,  4000 feet per googlle earth.  Distance from kite beach is shorter.  I got some fun waves one AM but my second day was more like exercise due to lumpy conditions.   I didn't have any real swell when I was there.  Short period stuff,  but average waist to chest high.  Windsurfing days had bigger swell.
  It was a fun vacation,  definitely more wind sports oriented.  There is a surf beach just west of Cabaree,  but never made it there.  JP

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
I'm like Carib, went a couple of times to kite about this time of year in the early 2000s.  It was flat 'till about 10-11am ...then honked into the night.  I am from an area where the wind and sun generally slept at the same time.   You could see some little potential on the outer reefs (that video was exceptional), but most was like Carib said, just West, back in the pockets. We saw those when riding horses out of town.

The funniest thing was women who looked like E-European cleaning ladies walking topless down the beach ...neither I nor my wife ever saw that before!  We did have a good time.  Have fun.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 06:05:02 AM »
Any recommendations on where to stay for a wing foil vacation in Cabarete? Never been and thinking of going this spring. Thx!!

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 06:17:41 AM »
The Velaro beach resort I stayed at was nice.  It's at the east end of the Cabarete beach.  Short walk to where the ION rentals were. 
Jay

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 06:23:36 AM »
Cool thanks! Is the water deeper there better for foiling?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 06:47:42 AM »
Check out Liquid Blue Cabarete..they offer rentals, lessons and have a ton of interesting videos on YouTube.  I am sure they arrange or can recommend accommodation as well...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 09:01:42 AM »
Water is shallow reef in front of Velaro.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal