General > Travel, Trips, Destinations

Cabarete in April

(1/3) > >>

jpeter:
Headed to Cabarete 2nd week in April.  Staying at a resort on the water with my wife.  Any advice on SUP surfing there or general info is welcome.   Will windsurf if there is any wind.   Was wondering about the logistics of board storage if I rent SUP somewhere down the beach for a weekly rate.  Would be trying to surf early am and I wonder what time people are up and about in what seems like a party town.
JP

Caribsurf:
Used to go there on windsurf/surf trips years ago. Very cool and stylish little surf town back then. I know it has grown a lot but I am sure it’s still special.
  I’d usually go in June which was one of the windier months, so I am not sure about April. Even so, I’d surf in the morning when glassy and windsurf in the afternoon when the winds kicked in.
This was before SUP, but there were some fun outer reefs for wave sailing right in Cabarete which I am sure would be fun on a SUP.
It’s now a kiter’s paradise so expect a lo t of kiters on the water.
I’d surf a break to the west between Sousa and Cabarete called Playa Encuentro which could be very good.   I don’t know about SUP rentals, but I am sure there are many businesses that rent them.  Have fun and post photos

Green Water Sports:
Talk to Jens at velacabarete.com about renting SUPs and windsurf gear. The outer reef of the bay is decent early, but can get choppy if the wind comes up (wind usually fills in between 9am to 11am). Nearer to Kite Beach the waves break better and cleaner, at kite beach it does get shallow though. It catches less of the wind also. Not many places offer SUP use/rental on Kite Beach, especially when you want to paddle (sunrise before the wind) but Vela should be able to offer you a board early and/or let you keep it over night. Jens and Audrey will probably paddle with you if they aren't surfing or foiling.

Encuentro is not big on SUP paddlers. Some people go there but you'll be fighting for waves with surfers so you're better off in town.

Which resort?

PM for more info and Jens' direct contact info.

Green Water Sports:
Kite Beach Cabarete - not often like this.

jpeter:
Thanks guys,  I will report back.

Staying at Velero beach resort.  Tried to pick something nice for the lady. 
I did talk to Vela once trying to confirm that I could rent from them with accommodations elsewhere.  Looks like decent equipment.   Will ask for Jens. 

Video looks sweet!  JP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version