Author Topic: Fin talk  (Read 4774 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fin talk
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
I have a 8’10” sunova steeze which they say has a  longboard style frint end suitable for nose riding . Anybody have advice on a fin to help me get up to the nose?
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
A 10" fin like this would be a great start.  There a re lots of variations but the idea is to have a fin that will be deep enough to hold and vertical enough to pivot.  This style of noseriding fin is sometimes is called a "pivot" fin.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
I made this Mini-Edit a few years ago to visualize what the fins are doing.

What you can see is how much the outside fin is deprecated, meaning worthless, on a real driving turn.  All the hold comes from the inside fin.

However this is ONLY in an extremely high-performance mode.  If you aren't doing this then the fins are likely doing everything to slow you down.

On SUPs I always rode the SMALLEST fins possible.  Just before the board would start to spin-out.  The bigger the waves the smaller the fins.  The fins hold is more critical at slow speeds, in smaller waves, or when speed drops significantly from turning.

At high speeds the lift, and drag generated, become enormous so LESS IS MORE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3z01EF80RE

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
Aloha Supsean! Here is another option for tip time. Known  as Fatboy, Wingnut, Miki was the first however!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
I, unfortunately, occasionally will ding my fins. I have been just sanding them till smooth which does change the shape a bit and keep as spares. I have not ever gone back and switched them to see if there is an appreciable difference. Does anyone notice a big enough difference?
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  They look funky. CAnt wait to try.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
Certainly for quad trailers foil profiles, some supply foil/flat, ive alway thought trailers needs foil/foil???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal