Author Topic: GoFoil 29" mast upgrade  (Read 8835 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: GoFoil 29" mast upgrade
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
Dwight, I've been trying to figure out where to put my mast on the 5'11" I got from you.  Where exactly do you put yours?

I was planning on asking you via email but maybe I am not the only person wondering.

(By the way I love the board.  It makes me better,  like I "bought " some talent. :))

Email me.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:05 PM »
The best of the foilers seem to be on plate mounts, but I really don't see how the adjustment is a benefit.
I can feel a 1/4” change in mast location. Annoying when it’s not spot on.

If I had a plate mount, I'd be fiddling with it. Sometimes less is more, especially if your name is Les Moore.
So true. Just yesterday, I made a friend who has been struggling, stop screwing around with the location and put it where I told him. I even took a sharpe to his board and marked it. He had his best session ever.

Consumers.....ugh, they can do some crazy stuff.

I've had ten sessions on a prone 4'6" board with a 26" mast and have a feeling that:

a) I'm doing something wrong
b) The mast plate is in the wrong position
c) Both

My longest ride has probably been 5 seconds.

Foiling is scarce in these parts, and I need to meet up with an experienced person to graciously give me some pointers.

/back to the topic at hand.  I just wanted to chime in.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 02:14:21 PM »
Cardiff, c'mon up to Sano sometime...almost always several "experienced" foilers (prone or SUP) in the water or on the beach who'd be more than happy to chat with you to get you going.

Knowing how well you SUP, I'm gonna lean more towards a little tweaking of setup, and a couple quick pointers would be all that's needed to get you up, and flying all over the place in no time.

Let me know if/when you're heading up, and I'd be happy to meet up, and share what I know from the SUP side of things, and introduce you to some of the prone guys who would probably be a lot more help to you on that side of things if you like.

Cheers.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 03:22:07 PM »
The best of the foilers seem to be on plate mounts, but I really don't see how the adjustment is a benefit.
I can feel a 1/4” change in mast location. Annoying when it’s not spot on.

If I had a plate mount, I'd be fiddling with it. Sometimes less is more, especially if your name is Les Moore.
So true. Just yesterday, I made a friend who has been struggling, stop screwing around with the location and put it where I told him. I even took a sharpe to his board and marked it. He had his best session ever.

Consumers.....ugh, they can do some crazy stuff.

I've had ten sessions on a prone 4'6" board with a 26" mast and have a feeling that:

a) I'm doing something wrong
b) The mast plate is in the wrong position
c) Both

My longest ride has probably been 5 seconds.

Foiling is scarce in these parts, and I need to meet up with an experienced person to graciously give me some pointers.

/back to the topic at hand.  I just wanted to chime in.

Stand upright, don’t hunch over like you’re barrel riding.
Newbies hunch over, too scared to stand upright and usually with a wide stance. All bad.

Listen to Kai explain why. It’s the easiest way to spot someone who has foiled forever versus the new guy.
Just be aware you can’t do anything about the wide stance if you’re strapped. You have to use wide with straps because you can’t just walk forward when needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d_678k8pWV8
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:27:14 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
^
Thanks. I've watched every video I can find about prone foiling.

It's hard to analyze what I'm doing wrong. But after every failed wave, I try to.
Unfortunately, I've fell so many times, my neck is whiplashed and I'm about to put foiling on the back burner unless I see some serious progress in the next session.

I'll get one wave each time that feels just right, but then the foil turns a certain way and I don't flow with the direction, causing me to eat it.  The one time I did flow with the turn, the foil made a quick u-turn back out to sea and I fell.

It's a major ego-blow and physically hurts.  I can catch twenty waves on my SUP in one afternoon and never fall.
The challenge is good, but maybe I should've gotten a SUP-foil instead of a prone board.

*again, sorry for hijacking the thread.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:40:22 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »
I know of at least 2 guys who were forced to get lessons being towed by skis. No shame in doing that if it gets you over the hump.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
Cardiff, you definitely chose the hard way given your skill on small SUPs. It took me ten sessions to get the foil up without immediately falling, and twenty more to stay up long enough to think about things like turning or pumping. I'm reasonably certain I'd never get anywhere on a prone foil, if only because 1 day of longboard surfing costs me three days of recovery for my back and shoulders. Stick that thing on a foil SUP board of any variety and you'll be at it right away. The same skills you have from managing super short SUPs translates immediately, except the one that has you putting weight on your back leg on a steep drop.

Any board you can get from Craigslist will work to get you rolling, something in the 5'6" to 6' range would be ideal, but really, anything but what you have.

Bottom line, if I can do it, you can do it. We both know that's true.

Also, don't try to turn right out of the gate. Don't even get too far off the water. Pick the foil up, then put it down. Repeat that until you have pitch control comfortably in hand. Then bring the foil up higher and hold it there. Focus on facing forward, and controlling your front foot pressure by pushing your hips forward, not leaning. Pump a little just to get a feel for it. You don't have to do anything fancy to pump, just push up and down. Lifting a little with your front foot then pressing down with both is the easy way to learn. the guys that pump the hardest and longest don't even do anything that complex. They just heave their weight up and down, swinging their arms. The front wing does all the work.

If you take off on a bit of an angle instead of going straight it's easier to stay in the energy without thinking too much about turning, Turning comes later. Apparently a lot later since I still suck at it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:51:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
Get behind a boat for an hour, problem solved.

^

It's hard to analyze what I'm doing wrong. But after every failed wave, I try to.
Unfortunately, I've fell so many times, my neck is whiplashed and I'm about to put foiling on the back burner unless I see some serious progress in the next session.

I'll get one wave each time that feels just right, but then the foil turns a certain way and I don't flow with the direction, causing me to eat it.  The one time I did flow with the turn, the foil made a quick u-turn back out to sea and I fell.

It's a major ego-blow and physically hurts.  I can catch twenty waves on my SUP in one afternoon and never fall.
The challenge is good, but maybe I should've gotten a SUP-foil instead of a prone board.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
If you want to try that route before hanging up the foil...hit me up. I've got a 7'3x28.5, and a 5'11"x28.5 that I'd have no problem setting you up with your KeNalu on either one, heading out with you, and throwing some pointers your way.

Btw, both are setup with front foot straps...and from your description of....
....it sounds to me that your front foot is slightly off one way or the other, and it's automatically telling the board you want to turn even though you're not really wanting it to, and not ready for body position wise. The front foot strap eliminates most all of that.

Boats are fine but many of us have learned w/o them if one's not readily available. Just saying..
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 09:38:45 PM »
I got lucky and my board has dual boxes, so I'm now using the tuttle for the first time ever foiling.  I was running my track about in the middle with the short mast+adapter, so no change in stance was needed, however, I can imagine some people missing the adjustability.  I can tell you it was a whole lot easier adjusting the pitch of the foil by shimming the tuttle box rather than creating a shim for the track box (which I did when I was using an adaptor with the 24.5" mast).  Sure would be nice if they beefed up the 24.5" mast, my was cracked and loose after less than a dozen sessions.  Unless they can make more money beefing it up I doubt it'll ever happen, so probably never.  :(

I'm curious, are you guys using the 29.5" in a Tuttle, or throwing it in an adapter, and running it at 32"....and any idea why GF choose to go an inch different with the Tuttle mount, and adapter mount instead making them both 29 or 29.5"?

I like the idea of going 29.5", but don't like the automatic limits of placement that comes with it in a Tuttle box, and would like to have more than just the 1.5" gain I'd get with the 28.5" adapter version from what I have with the 24" Tuttle in an adapter, and the 27" mounted that I'm running now.

The 29.5 in an adapter making it 32.5" seems just a little too long, especially with the shallows that we're stuck with a lot of the time with the tides, and reef settings we have at Sano. IOWs, I've got a banged up enough wing with the 27" mast, and can only imagine what it'd look like if it were another 5.5" longer. :o

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it all...as I have a tendency to do.  :-[ :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
I got lucky and my board has dual boxes, so I'm now using the tuttle for the first time ever foiling.  I was running my track about in the middle with the short mast+adapter, so no change in stance was needed, however, I can imagine some people missing the adjustability.
Yeah, I as I've mentioned, I don't adjust once I find "the spot", so if you're Tuttle was right where you'd been running the mast in the tracks then yes, it makes sense that you shouldn't feel any difference...very cool.

I can tell you it was a whole lot easier adjusting the pitch of the foil by shimming the tuttle box rather than creating a shim for the track box (which I did when I was using an adaptor with the 24.5" mast).  Sure would be nice if they beefed up the 24.5" mast, my was cracked and loose after less than a dozen sessions.  Unless they can make more money beefing it up I doubt it'll ever happen, so probably never.  :(
Yeah, the boards I've had made, we made sure that the bottom was exactly parallel to the deck, and thusly, haven't found any need to shim to adjust the pitch (assuming you're talking about the angle of attack). The only board I ever needed to shim was one I borrowed that had excessive rocker for a foil board, but that was as easy as putting a couple washers under each of the rear holes of the adapter to level things all out.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »
Cardiff all good advise above here is one more tip , if you are getting boosted on the take off put your foil as far back as it goes and even drill 2 more holes on the track plate to get it back another inch or two. This will let get to your feet before the foil starts to lift , once you nail the starts then start inching it forward. Also practice getting up on your board at home (with no foil in it) and watch where your feet land , you will be very surprised how wrong they are. Unlike the Sup where you are already on your feet it's critical your feet land somewhere near where they need to be.

Break up the take off like this 1/ When you think you are on take 2 more strokes 2/ push up on the arms first arching your back to keep the foil down 3/ Front foot first then back foot don't try the double pop until you master this 1,2 3 phase. I hadn't prone surfed for 10 years and this is what got me going.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:33:57 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
^

Cardiff, I've done some foil lessons at Sano, don't hesitate to contact me.

Usually beginners don't choose the right wave, you need to find the waves that are gonna make things easier for you.
You need a really small wave, mushy that gives you a little push and that rolls into deep water so you are riding only the swell, you don't want any turbulence. Don't try to get direction, you want to go straight first and learn how to control the lift.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Even on a SUP a lot of the people who struggle endlessly simply have their feet in the wrong position. People who want to take off paddling with their feet in a surfing position and then switch to foil rarely progress. If you want to control the foil your feet need to be in the right position and you need to rotate your trunk to face forward, not to the side.

I was having a lot of trouble turning to the toe side and finally realized that my rear foot was not along the centerline of the board, but rather was about four inches toward the rail. I corrected that and sudden'y turning to the toe side is easy, and backside turns are screwed.

Bottom line, your feet need to be on the center line, back foot on the mast, front foot wherever you are most comfortable, but probably fairly far forward. It's a terrible position to ask a surfer to maintain, but that's what it takes. I also struggle to keep mu head up and use my hips and knees to move weight forward, But when your get all that right, progress comes much faster.

It's still a grind. Most of the folks that are pretty good have been at it for a few years. There are the rare few that seem to click in much quicker than that, but most experienced surfers suffer a bit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:20 PM »
Yeah, the boards I've had made, we made sure that the bottom was exactly parallel to the deck, and thusly, haven't found any need to shim to adjust the pitch (assuming you're talking about the angle of attack).The only board I ever needed to shim was one I borrowed that had excessive rocker for a foil board, but that was as easy as putting a couple washers under each of the rear holes of the adapter to level things all out.

I am also struggling with a board with too much rocker in the plate area.
I made a shim 0->6 mm shim but it is still not enough...Perhaps I should put some washers between the shim and the plate.
No custom Supfoilbuilders where I live so I am considering getting a Jimmy Lewis Flying V 5'11x28,5 @105 liter
But I have to be sure that The bottom of the Flying V is parallel to the deck..

My non foil sup is a Starboard Hypernut 7'2x28 @106 liter I didn't last very long on it when choppy, now I am foiling this board is too difficult!

My present foil sup is 7'0x28 @115 liter no problem even when it is choppy..

I weigh 85kg / 185 lbs  and wonder if the 5'11 @105 liter will be big enough
1'1 shorter. 10 liter less, 0,5" wider than my present Foilsup.

85 kg + 3 kg wetsuit + 7 kg board + 4 kg foil + 0,5 kg paddle = 99,5 kg ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal