Author Topic: 'Yer' gonna want stem cells...'  (Read 11017 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
Re: 'Yer' gonna want stem cells...'
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:50:01 AM »
I wanted "stem cells" hoping for a fix for my failing heart, there was a study being done I thought about trying to get into... but my cardiologist talked me out of it, convincing me to hang tight until it was a an approved procedure.

He says my best hope is a "cloned" heart.... I'm sort of healthy enough to walk and talk without a walker and oxygen so would be at the bottom of a transplant list which is the only other option.
Old fugger who just likes to fish

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
Stem cell research shows a lot of promise, but its not going to happen over night.  It's a shame that these snake-oil companies are not immediately squashed.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
Ten years ago I had a stem cell injection into an arthritic hip, that was taken from my bone marrow. It was performed by one of the leading stem cell proponents of that time. Prior to the injection I was still active in many sports, and after the injection I ended up on crutches for months in a lot of pain, and had the hip replaced three months later since I was still unable to walk and it was getting progressively worse.
For myself, I am still somewhat of a believer in PRP injections taken from your own blood, mixed with a viscosupplement such as Euflexxa. This combination has helped both my wife and I with various injuries and sore joints. This is not a stem cell injection, but my understanding is that the PRP does recruit stem cells to the site.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
"FDA officials said the agency lacks the resources to pursue a comprehensive crackdown on the sprawling stem cell industry. It is difficult to impose a “regulatory architecture after an industry has sort of grown up,” Gottlieb said.

“There’s now a marketplace where arguably hundreds of millions of dollars are being made,” said Mark Schwartz, a former top official for the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. Manufacturers, clinics and distributors like Liveyon “have a vested interest in keeping this going and are not so easily scared off.”"

vilify, stifle and de-fund regulation, and shit like this happens---used to be regulators were respected, if not feared--where entities being regulated cooperated for fear of losing their livelihood or being prosecuted---and sure, there was overreach etc, but net, industries cooperated with reasonable enforcement

this extends from our  totally unregulated "supplements" industry---an industry i consider mostly a bogus con
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
This is a bit of a long read, but the end of it will give you a pretty clear idea of the likely future of our country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/miraculous-stem-cell-therapy-has-sickened-people-in-five-states/2019/02/26/c04b23a4-3539-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_campaign=1c925f5d4b-MR_COPY_03&utm_medium=email&utm_source=STAT%20Newsletters&utm_term=.2e83602db359

Jim

Thanks for posting Wetstuff

It is sad that some people with limited access to health care are sometimes tempted to try relatively inexpensive“placebo” therapies have not been rigorously tested by medical researchers. It is worse when the therapy is not benign. For medications taken orally the placebo effect is responsible for up to 30% of positive effect. For “surgical” procedures it is as high as 50%! This was demonstrated elegantly several years ago with arthroscopy for debriding and “cleaning up” painful knee joints. The surgical procedure was no better than the sham surgery where incisions were made but no surgery took place. Fifty percent of the patients with the sham surgery however still showed improvement. Easy for medical practitioners to be fooled into thinking what they are doing is benificial.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
This is a bit of a long read, but the end of it will give you a pretty clear idea of the likely future of our country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/miraculous-stem-cell-therapy-has-sickened-people-in-five-states/2019/02/26/c04b23a4-3539-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_campaign=1c925f5d4b-MR_COPY_03&utm_medium=email&utm_source=STAT%20Newsletters&utm_term=.2e83602db359

Jim

It is sad that some people with limited access to health care are sometimes tempted to try relatively inexpensive“placebo” therapies have not been rigorously tested by medical researchers. It is worse when the therapy is not benign. For medications taken orally the placebo effect is responsible for up to 30% of positive effect. For “surgical” procedures it is as high as 50%! This was demonstrated elegantly several years ago with arthroscopy for debriding and “cleaning up” painful knee joints. The surgical procedure was no better than the sham surgery where incisions were made but no surgery took place. Fifty percent of the patients with the sham surgery however still showed improvement. Easy for medical practitioners to be fooled into thinking what they are doing is benificial.

Bob

Even with access to quality health care, it's tempting to try something unproven when you aren't getting the results you hoped for with accepted medical practice. I admit following some click bait links for anti aging products. That is a supplement category that really attracts scammers. Placebo effect is really big in that category also. They tell you the pills alone won't do it; you have to stay active. Staying active often helps people feel younger...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »

Jim

Bob

Even with access to quality health care, it's tempting to try something unproven when you aren't getting the results you hoped for with accepted medical practice. I admit following some click bait links for anti aging products. That is a supplement category that really attracts scammers. Placebo effect is really big in that category also. They tell you the pills alone won't do it; you have to stay active. Staying active often helps people feel younger...

Glide,

You are exactly right.....there is only one proven “fountain of youth” and that is exercise. Anything that you can do from a proven medical/surgical point of view to keep you active is something to consider. However if you can stay active without these treatments sometimes may best to avoid. “Perfection is the enemy of good”. Unfortunately allopathic medicine does not prescribe placebos as it is considered unethical. Fortunately there are homeopathic doctors that do......well they don’t consider them placebos but........30% of their patients do get better and they avoid all of the side effects of prescription medications.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:48:01 PM »
Medicine is a victim of its own success, which is inevitable in every effort to improve the human condition. People don't "want" what they already have. It's tough to see people who have no understanding of how the human body works enthusiastically prescribing nonsense treatments to their friends. But it's pointless to say anything, they aren't going to pay attention to anything that doesn't reinforce their current beliefs. I just shut up or occasionally make snide comments that are sufficiently ridiculous that they pass unnoticed. "Yeah, I rub Cumin over my entire body, the effects are incredible!"

I find "that's incredible!" to be a universally handy phrase. People assume I mean "that's wonderful", when really I mean I don't believe them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:50:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
"Yeah, I rub Cumin over my entire body, the effects are incredible!"

I'm stealing this....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 03:15:43 AM »
but who's your source, PB?

are you using chelated-esterized cumin? it cant be absorbed by the skin properly otherwise

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 05:24:55 AM »
but who's your source, PB?

are you using chelated-esterized cumin? it cant be absorbed by the skin properly otherwise

Forget Bill, he's over the other side of the country, I'll send you a good
source over in chinatown where the best Cumin concoction can be found.

If you can't find Cumin in stock Turmeric is the next best thing.
Just make sure to ask for the Carbon infused because that's what works
best on paddlers/surfers ::)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:28:13 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 07:41:21 AM »
It works best if you apply it using a vacuum infusion process, although it may leave you with a mega-wedgie.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 08:02:11 AM »
It works best if you apply it using a vacuum infusion process, although it may leave you with a mega-wedgie.

My local witch doctor also sells an aqueous solution in a bag...

"IV?"
"You wish..."
 ;D
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
can i borrow your vacuum setup?

wait tho, how do you breathe during vacuum infusion?--or maybe it doesnt matter? like the cumin oxygenates you while you "nap" in the vacuum bag?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal