Author Topic: shoulder surgery went great  (Read 15952 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: shoulder surgery went great
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
Another update...

I have moved up to the red band plus a half step back so it is stretched further for a little more resistance on low rows, which is about the only exercise I get to do with resistance except for the ones done interactively with PT. But I am doing lots of exercise and stretches with no resistance. PT says I am still rehabbing at about the max rate he is comfortable with. I see the doc next late this month.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
Stay on it RTG!

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
Stay on it RTG!

The PT was concerned at first when he asked how long it stayed sore and I told him pretty much all the time. But then I explained that every time it stops hurting I exercise again. He suggested I give it a day off every now and then, but as long as I am not continuing to push it past the point of mild pain it's fine. I am not making above average progress because I am lucky.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »
After I had my right shoulder rotator cuff repaired and removal of a very large bone spur which caused my problem, my PT schedule was every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in one hour sessions. My PT therapist told me the tendons, ligaments need a day to "rest" after PT. She told if I did PT everyday, I was going to prolong the recovery time.

I did my PT at the Sports Medicine complex where I live for 1 month, 3 times a week for 4 weeks for a total of 12 sessions. After that, I did PT at my home by myself for 11 months with the same time frames, 3 times a week for 48 weeks for a total of 144 sessions.

The result, total range of motion in the my right shoulder and absolutely no pain in the shoulder. The reason for my long PT time was because I was double stitched inside along with the removal of the bone spur which had cut my rotator cuff 90% through.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 02:30:33 PM »
I saw the surgeon a couple of days ago, which was a little over 2 months after surgery. I had already burned through my PT (20 visits), but I see a chiro who also does sport medicine (he is team doctor for a couple of local MMA groups) and had done a couple of more with him. I am still going to him once or twice a week and I am very compliant with exercises at home.

My surgeon was very pleased with my progress. I just have to be careful when stretching to increase range of motion. The pain inside the range is muscle weakness; he said the repair is pretty much healed. Paddling toward the end of April should not be a problem as long as it isn't too aggressive. I can ramp it up through May and should be able to do reasonably long touring paddles in June.

This shoulder (left) only a partially torn labrum and some bone spurs, which is why it is rehabbing quickly. When I had my right down a few years ago, the labrum was 60% torn, the rotator cuff 80%, lots of bone spurs, scar tissue and he shaved the end of a shoulder bone to limit impingement. I was in so much pain I didn't do PT hard enough for the first month or so and he had to go back in to clean up scar tissue that formed. Very long rehab on that one.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:32:05 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I did get the warning that the tear was not an injury from a single incident but from numerous impingements and rough use when I know my tendons are fairly easily damaged. Loading, unloading and carrying my big board can be rougher on my shoulders than paddling. The danger zones are elbows at or above shoulder height or hands anywhere behind me while bearing any strain. Also, the surgery did nothing for the chronic bursitis. I got a big board padded carrying strap and I will be loading/unloading with help and/or better technique. I have looked at a few ways of loading an end at a time to reduce overhead load.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
First post surgery paddle today, about 100 days since surgery. Felt good. I paddled on a nearby lake, put in 4.4 miles and did one short sprint paddle staying over 5 mph for a little over 30 seconds (per Strava). Bald eagles were pretty active today; saw 3 fairly close up and a few others further away. One of my boys went along and did very well for his first time. He's young, fit and he kayaks so it wasn't that surprising. He couldn't hang with the old man on sprints though. Sticking him on my inflatable all around while I paddled the Glide may have had something to do with that, though...  ;)
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »
youre soon to be history rtg--your boy gon dust you--it's just a matter of time--but itll be a joy when he blows by you!

my girls wait for me at alta these days!  hey, it's their turn............
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal