Author Topic: Fanatic Allwave vs Stubby  (Read 8496 times)

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Fanatic Allwave vs Stubby
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »
I’m researching my next board purchase and I think I’ve narrowed it down to a 9’ Allwave or 8’10” Stubby.  JimK has been a huge help in narrowing down the choices and sizes, but I wanted to tap into the hive to see what others think.

A bit about me: I’m 5’11”, 185 lb and in pretty good shape. Weekend warrior with about 6 years of paddlesurfing experience.  I surf weak knee-high to shoulder waves in South Carolina.  I have a 2016 10’6” Naish Nalu and a 2014 9’5” Naish Mana.  I like the Nalu because it is pretty stable, gets into waves early, and is fast when trimming on the wave.  I like the Mana in slightly bigger or more powerful waves because you can step back on the tail pad and really crank a turn.  The Mana is pretty corky in the line up, though.  I also think the Mana is a bit big for me.  I usually end up on the Nalu since it’s easier to catch waves.

I’m looking for something that is somewhat stable in the line up and gets into waves early.  Mostly, I want something that can allow me to get more vertical on the wave when riding off the tail, but can still be trimmed from the middle in weaker/smaller waves.

Everyone seems to love the Allwave, but there isn’t a lot of info about the Stubby.  Has anyone ridden both?  Any info on either board is much appreciated.

Let me end with a quick plug for JimK.  He has been a huge help in this process and his prices are great.  He helped me with Kenalu paddle purchases in the past and his advice is spot on!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatic Allwave vs Stubby
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »
Thanks for the Props.

Really appreciate it

Looking forward to further chats

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »
They are both good boards. The Stubby is of course a lot less conventional in its design than the All Wave, and it is probably aimed at a more experienced rider.  The Stubby works well in small waves, for its length, but you are never going to get the same wave-catching ease as you enjoy from your Nalu. The Stubby is a lot faster however, and easier to turn. So if you never really got to grips with properly turning a longboard then you might find the Stubby easier.

I liked the Stubby. But personally in your situation, if I liked the Nalu but wanted a bit more performance, I might buy a Jimmy Lewis Striker or Destroyer instead. Weak waves are weak waves, and sometimes you just have to adapt your style and your equipment to them.

The All Wave is a pretty conventional design board (and there’s nothing wrong with that), so it would be more like a scaled down version of the Mana in terms of useability and riding experience. If that sounds like what you want, then get that.

Neither purchase would be a mistake.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
JimK has also been helpful with me in my progression. I am exactly the same size as you at 50 years old. I have been sup surfing for 1 1/2 years in New York beach breaks and I have an Allwave 8'10", and feel like this board has become too corky for me. I recently downsized from this board, but have yet to ride my new board, so I won't mention it.

Based on your description/experience think the AllWave 9'0" is going to be too floaty for your progression to higher performance  (159 liters is a lot of volume). I looked into the Stubby, and it looks like a great board, and it has far fewer liters, which I think would be a better fit.

Watch this review: It mentions your exact weight as perfect for this board.

https://www.supboardermag.com/equipment_guide/2019-fanatic-prowave-89/

also a review of the stubby -- albeit the foil version, but worth a watch:

https://www.supboardermag.com/equipment_guide/stubby-foil-edition-87-2018-2/

Also, the Jimmy Lewis Destroyer/superfrank looked good to me.

disclaimer, I am an intermediate, weekend warrior type. The only reason I am chiming in is because I have really asked around a lot about boards in the past few months, and feel like I have a good idea on what is out there for the "next step" board.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:10:02 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:06:00 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate it.  I can turn my Nalu from the tail, but it is not nearly as quick as the Mana.  I'm going to hold onto the Nalu for longboarding days....Mostly looking to replace the Mana.

Area10: Sounds like you've ridden the Stubby.  What is the benefit of the Stubby over conventional shapes?  I'm looking for a board to replace my Mana for tighter turns.  On  my Mana, I can bottom turn, but it takes so much effort to get it around, there isn't much time to turn back at the top of the wave (obv could be user error).

Supsean: Great to talk to someone my size.  Didn't realize the 9' Allwave has so much volume.  I wonder if the 2019 model is thicker than the 2018.  What do you think about the 8'9" @145L?  Still too much?  Have you ridden a Stubby?

General question: which would get into a wave earlier, the Allwave or Stubby?  Which would be more stable in the line up?

Thanks all!

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:26:41 AM »
Hi Oakfish. I have ridden both boards, though it was about 6 years ago. The Allwave 8'11" was my first board. For me at the time at 5'11", 165lbs, and 61 yrs old, it was a perfect starter board. Very stable, easy to catch waves, but I outgrew the performance it offered after about two or three months. For my next board, I demoed an 8'6" Stubby which was much less stable than the Allwave with a nice step up in performance, but ended up buying an 8'10" Sunova Speeed. Those two boards surfed similarly with similar stability, but the Speeed had a lot more glide for getting into a wave.
Unless it has changed a lot over the past few years, I not sure that the Allwave will give you that more vertical style of surfing you are looking for, since I see it more as a great beginner/low-intermediate board. My current favorite board for what you are describing is my 8'7" Sunova Flow @ 120 liters. I find it pretty stable, easy to catch waves, and turns on a dime. If you wanted a little more volume and glide for the 20 lbs you have over me, maybe the 8'10" Flow at 131 liters? From my experience, the refined design and lighter weight would give you much higher performance than the two boards you mentioned. Even though the Flow has a high performance looking outline, there is some width in the tail which makes it work great in small or low power waves as you described. There are a couple of great videos on line of Bert Burger, the designer, talking about the Flow.
I will vouch for the fact that Jim K is awesome to work with; first class all the way. Maybe ask him about the Sunova Flow if he still carries them.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
if youre anywhere near brooklyn, consider my creek 8'10" (listed in classifieds now at a stoopid cheap blowout px of 800$)--it really might be the right board for you at this stage

i am enjoying other parts of my quiver for now, and want to buy an 8'3" creek once it warms up, and once ive sold the 8'10"

my 8'10" creek has been my best growth platform--brought me to a whole new level--other boards helped a bit--with the creek my skills accelerated uniquely

my progression: walden 10'10 magic, starby widepoint 9'6, fanatic AW ltd 8'11, L41 S3 8'3, starby airborne wp 8'8, sunova creek 8,10, portal barra 8'3, starby pro carbon flax 8'10

take advantage of my wasteful board buying and blowout!

soon a creek 8'3 will add in

not a fan of stubbies, hypernuts, dinner plates, even simsup's generally---ride too flat and skatey--so fun to dig in the rail at the tail---wide-assed boards resist that
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
I haven't ridden the stubby.  I find the Allwave 8'10" very stable–but it did take me some time to adjust from my BIC 190liter freighter. As far as getting into wave, I find it a bit sluggish. I have ridden the Creek model mentioned by eastbound, and that board felt very lively and paddled waves way better. And it was quite stable.

General question: which would get into a wave earlier, the Allwave or Stubby?  Which would be more stable in the line up?

Thanks all!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
Having read this thread, I feel the 9' Allwave would not be a great choice. The 8'9" AW is still 32" wide and would be quite stable.

My Angulo 8'8" Surfa was 32" wide and got me  off of barges. The width is a major factor in stability.

I have also owned two square boards,  a JP 7'6"
Slate, and a Kings 8'10" Punisher. Fun, good as part of a quiver, but would not be my first choice to go a smaller and shorter board.

The 2019 Stubby has radically changed it's tail, a bump step, with a swallow will allow it turn  much more freely which solves the stiff square tail issue.

As to which one would be more stable it's a great question. The Stubby is narrower, but the Tomo outline is very stable.

If I was a betting man, I suspect the 32" width on the AW would give it the edge as it is not a pulled nose and tail outline.

The literage on the Stubby is also lower.

Random thoughts from an olde fahrte who hopes your next board helps in with your development!

Good luck and smooth sailing!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
First a shameless Jim K plug. His knowledge of boards and conditions is second to none and I would value his opinion greatly.

I'm a little bigger then you and have a 9'4 AllWave and the 9'7 Creek. I think your key statement is the "weak knee to shoulder high wave".  The AllWave handles bigger waves  but it gives you really good stability moving up to towards the nose to dig into mushier stuff and it's floatiness lets you get in early.  One thought might be to see if Jim can get you an older model AllWave (either the 8'9 or 9'0) that has five fin boxes.  I mostly ride my Creek now but what I enjoy about my 5 fin box AllWave is that on smaller mushier days I can ride it as a quad and get  much needed speed from the board to get more effective turns  and trim from the middle. When it is bigger I can ride is as a thruster and draw better lines and ride off the tail. For your conditions and desire for stability I think either size AllWave with five fin box options meets most of your needs. Plus you get a quality board at a good price point. With that said, nobody will know the AllWave or Stubby better then Jim.

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 06:10:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  This is all really, really helpful.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
Interesting about the 5 fin option. I have a pure, which only has the thruster. Thought about going twin as per a supthecreek experiment, but ended up buying a new board. I still have the twins, and might try it if my new board doesn't help in the slop.

First a shameless Jim K plug. His knowledge of boards and conditions is second to none and I would value his opinion greatly.

I'm a little bigger then you and have a 9'4 AllWave and the 9'7 Creek. I think your key statement is the "weak knee to shoulder high wave".  The AllWave handles bigger waves  but it gives you really good stability moving up to towards the nose to dig into mushier stuff and it's floatiness lets you get in early.  One thought might be to see if Jim can get you an older model AllWave (either the 8'9 or 9'0) that has five fin boxes.  I mostly ride my Creek now but what I enjoy about my 5 fin box AllWave is that on smaller mushier days I can ride it as a quad and get  much needed speed from the board to get more effective turns  and trim from the middle. When it is bigger I can ride is as a thruster and draw better lines and ride off the tail. For your conditions and desire for stability I think either size AllWave with five fin box options meets most of your needs. Plus you get a quality board at a good price point. With that said, nobody will know the AllWave or Stubby better then Jim.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
I have never riden either board but I would choose the allwave.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 05:12:32 AM »
I have ridden both and if you really never get in waves with any juice, the stubby shape will benefit you getting into, and getting speed on flat, fat gutless waves.  Same said if the waves you surf of that type never get above shoulder high.

Eastbound is correct however they will be harder to turn off the tail...but if you dont have enough speed to turn....does it really matter.

I'd widen your scope from Fanatic.  some really good other brands out there for you to consider- Jimk (+1 for Jim as well BTW) can get you on Sunovas and Jimmy Lewis too. (Super Frank a good choice in those conditions....Destroyer and Strikers IMHO will surf too similar to your Nalu)   I think all Fanatics even if you are sinking them feel corky- just how that construction makes the board feel.

I'd caution against the Sunova flow.  While on paper is seems like a perfect comprimise- I demoed it on fat waves with Jim K and honestly hated it.  It was an an all terrain tire that really did nothing well.

Suprisingly- in those waves (fat waist high) my favorite board by far it the demo with the Sunova Shroom. But that board is REALLY specific to those waves.  If you were keeping your nalu and Mana that might be a great choice, but not solely to replace the Mana.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal