Author Topic: Fanatic Allwave vs Stubby  (Read 8497 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fanatic Allwave vs Stubby
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
Whoops- Big correction above.  I mean the Sunova SKATE ....not the Sunova Flow as the board I would not reccommend.  Totally realized it today when chatting with another Flow owner.   

Mike

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 02:29:33 AM »
If you have the Nalu already, the most complementary board with great speed in fat and mush is the Shroom.  Very stable, very fast, turns well off the rail, but you must be able to shift your rear foot quite a bit in advance of each turn.  (All from my reading.)  Or the JL Super Frank, with fast rocker, a more friendly tail, better resale value, see Jim K for this?

As much as you might like the Allwave and Stubby, they are not THAT specialized.  Even the name "Allwave" might be a clue.

I have the JL Striker, 80 kg, 8/11 x 30 x 130 for many years in soft slow waves for occasional surfing.  Not likely faster than the Nalu on or off the wave.  I like it when there is no wind.  Would much prefer a faster longboard and wide groveler combination.  Would never even consider an Allwave, Stubby, Striker, etc., except that I have one.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 02:53:43 AM »
If you want a board that gets into waves early, you won't find one that doesn't need more wave to go vertical, at least competitive with the specialized grovelers which are all shorter and fatter.  OR ridden by an advanced surfer.

BUT, a very stable board can allow one to miss one or more waves in a set and finally catch one a bit later.

How about a longboard with a groveler tail?  Shroom-like back end, with some forward length to get speed paddling.  That would be nice.  Probably the Nalu's are as close as anything, with maybe a bit less rocker, more tail?

The Speed gets in a wave early.  Have tried the 8/10 briefly.  But you need to get back to turn it and then in small stuff, the riders seem to do slow pivot turns at low speed--ho hum.  Unless you can take a 7 footer into larger waves.

Then the longer fat tailed few.  Have never seen anyone get much action in a video.  Certainly not go vertical.  Would like to see that.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 05:44:47 AM »
I have the 2013 Allwave good entry level board.  I briefly had the I believe 2016 8’9 Allwave, this sup had much thinner rails but I guess to keep the volume the deck was domed which I’m not a fan. The 8’9 was very maneuverable.

I demoed the shroom, super fun but this board has a concave deck giving the knock knee feeling which I didn’t like.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »
All the Sunova suggestions are appreciated but they seem tough to get and fairly expensive.

I definitely understand that the Nalu and other longboards won't allow vertical maneuvers in the same way as a shorter board.  I also understand that the performance shapes won't get into waves as early.  These are the reasons I plan to keep my Nalu. 

Looking for something to allow some progression in my surfing when the waves are slightly bigger and more powerful.  I've way outgrown the 9'5" Mana. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
if youre in FL, ill sell you my AW ltd 8'10" that's down there

brooklyn NY==> 8'10" creek
vero bch FL==> 8'10" AW ltd

elsewhere?   sorry--gotta pick up

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"