Author Topic: 12' Point Break Not Listed On Sunova's Website  (Read 10319 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
12' Point Break Not Listed On Sunova's Website
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »
I prefer l-o-n-g sup boards. My two favorite boards are my custom built Sup Sports "One World", 11'1" x 30" and my production made Blue Planet "Duke", 10'5" x 32".

Recently, I began looking into a "mini aircraft carrier" sups which are close to 12' in length. While researching sups on YouTube, I ran across one of "supthecreek's" videos on the Sunova Point Break, 12' x 32" @ 199 Liters.

This isn't the first time I've seen this video on his review of it, but when doing research for sup boards close to 12' length, it caught my eye (again) since it has 5 fin boxes and I really like 5 fin boxes on sups whether they can be custom built or production made.

So I went to the Sunova website and under the SUP heading, the 12' Point Break is not listed. :o

https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup

So I thought to myself it had to be listed some where so I checked the other sub headings of; Pro Surfing, Surfing, Allaround and Flatwater/Touring/Race and the Point Break isn't listed there either.

I'm guessing the Point Break is a custom built model and this is the reason why it isn't listed. But even if it can be custom built, it should be listed on Sunova's website.

I hoping "supthecreek" (Rick) sees this post and can give me a reason why the 12' Point Break is not listed on Sunova's website.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 12' Point Break Not Listed On Sunova's Website
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »
Sunova's website is in need of an update in general. It would be hard to list every custom build Sunova does, but a photo gallery of custom board would be pretty cool.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
Winger..  (with that name, foiling tanker wakes must be in your future)  Rick will know the full details, but I'm reasonably sure the PB is a variant of the Search. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »
Sunova's website is in need of an update in general. It would be hard to list every custom build Sunova does, but a photo gallery of custom board would be pretty cool.

I remember a different looking Sunova website from a year or so ago and the one in my link is a different looking one from the last time I had visited the Sunova site.

As for the Point Break, I'm not asking Sunova to list every custom Point Break they've built. Just list the Point Break and give one example of it be it custom made or production made.

For discussion's sake, "supthecreek's" (Rick's) Point Break in the video gives lots of details as in; 12' x 32" @ 199 liters. Rick's video shows the 5 fins, the pulled in nose, gives the size/length of the fins and he gives the weight of the Point Break with his 2 + 1 fin setup installed.

The only thing not given in the video is the thickness at the widest point of the board. For me, that is an important detail. BTW, have I ever mentioned I like "details" on the Zoner site?  ;)

Now in the video, the LiftSup handle is installed. I'm not a fan of that grip. I prefer the Blue Planet Sup Grip or the grip of an SIC sup board. Why? Because I'm a small framed guy at 144 pounds with small hands and relatively short fingers since my middle finger is the longest of my fingers and it is only 2.75" in length.

With the two openings of a BP Sup Grip or the SIC grip, I can get my whole hand inside those grips and curl my fingers around the middle divider of those grips as in "making a fist". These grips make it easy to carry a long length sup a long distance.

The 12' Point Break, with 5 fin boxes, would be perfect for the tiny to small (1'-2') which are "normally" found in the summer months (June through September) when there is hardly any wind. In these tiny to small waves, with 5 fin boxes, I would surf it with a Quad 4 fin setup to generate speed. And the PB would be perfect for tanker bow wave sup surfing. Also, the Point Break comes with a pulled in nose and a pin tail.

If I had to compare a Point Break to another long sup, it would be a custom made Sup Sports "One World Surfari" say at 11'11" x 31" @ 200 liters, pulled in nose, 5 fin boxes, pin tail and a Blue Planet Sup Grip handle because a production made Surfari is 11'11" x 31" x 5.25" @ 225 liters, with pulled in nose, 3 fin boxes, pin tail and the usual ledge type of handle grip (or close to a ledge).

With a custom built Surfari, I would want a BP Sup Grip handle. At around 200 liters instead of the normal 225 liters, the thickness of the board would be less than (5.25"). And I could get it in BallisTec construction.

Sorry for the long message, but I do a lot of research when I'm comparing boards and when I'm comparing sup boards, "the Devil is always in the Details".
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Hi Wingman

You are absolutely right....... "the Devil is always in the Details"
Most builders are notoriously bad at updating their websites.
That's exactly why I started reviewing board 8 years ago.... to get as much information to people as I could.

You should know by now, that anything you want to know about Sunova, you simply need to ask me!
and if I don't know, I'll make it up.

The Sunova boys too are busy making boards, surfing and living life, to keep up the website.
They are surfers for crying out loud!  ;D ;D ;D

OK
The Point Break IS a full fledged model - one of probably 5 not on the website yet.
You can order any Sunova through me, by simply clicking my email link below.

Sunova has just updated their construction on all models to "TR3"  (pronounced "tree")
I will make a post about it... maybe tonight, since I got the pics a few hours ago.
It's beautiful and tested for 3 years.
TR3 is a more ECO friendly and sustainable way to build the boards.... just as durable and lightweight.

ALL Sunova's now come STANDARD with a LEDGE HANDLE
LiftSUP handle, is now an option.

XXX construction will be an option from now on.

The Point Break is an amazingly easy board to surf...
most bigger boards I have been on are much slower to turn and feel much heavier in the water.
First thing everyone says when the first step on it:
"This does NOT feel like a 12' board!!!"

It surfs a more shortboard style, instead of the classic longboard style.... it is very light on it's feet.

I have no picture of the updated "Point Break"
BUT, I do have a picture of the "Search" in TR3
I stress:
this is the SEARCH... NOT the Point Break

The Point Break is a very different shape and comes standard with 5 fin boxes
I only use this picture to show what a 12' board looks like in the TR3 construction

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 01:43:45 PM »
Here's another Point Break video, showing it in small, low power waves.
(XXX construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
Rick,

Thanks for the construction info and the video. I've always loved seeing your videos because you list lots of details in your videos. I'll have to put the video you just posted in my Sunova folder which I made earlier this morning.

The texted info, photo, commentary in the video as well as the video you provided, is much appreciated by me.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 09:30:59 AM »
See that, even someone who's a big fan can barely keep up? We're lucky Ricks keeps a finger on the pulse in Thailandia. 

The pisser is they keep making 'Gotta-have-one-of-those' boards.  First, it was the Point Break, period.  Then this new construction - which is simply stunning.  If I didn't have a 12-6 ...there would be one of these in the next container.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
Winger..  (with that name, foiling tanker wakes must be in your future)

When it comes to foiling tanker waves, foiling just isn't my cup of tea. I prefer and like the look and feel of a longboard under my feet when I'm sup surfing waves in the surf zone or tanker bow waves. I'm just "old school" on this.  ;)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
"ALL Sunova's now come STANDARD with a LEDGE HANDLE
LiftSUP handle, is now an option."

BRAVO SUNOVA...LEST US EAST COAST 5MM GLOVE WEARERS REJOICE!!!!!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard