Author Topic: The Threat  (Read 9541 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Threat
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
Reading something is an entirely different matter than buying into it.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle
Not sure that's true.  I need to think about it.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:45 PM »
Reading something is an entirely different matter than buying into it.

Jorge, the buy-in I'm referring to is simply whether I would spend my time reading the book not whether I would buy-in to McCabe's narrative.

And yes Eastie, Sessions has his own baggage for sure.  To me, it's not so much a matter of degree of credibility as it is whether the relator has credibility.

In the end it's quite possible that DT may clean house whether intentionally or not, and himself included...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 04:45:14 AM »
Here is why the rest of the world find Trump’s attitudes to his allies (and US’s previous foes) so worrying. There are two videos in this series and you need to watch both. I hope that you can view them in the US.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the-blueprint-for-world-domination-that-spooked-am/p07087xd?playlist=ideas-that-shaped-the-world

Basically, to foreigners it feels as if Trump is tipping the balance of the world order towards Russia-China, and dismantling the checks and balances that have existed to prevent a single dominant non-democratic superpower from emerging since WWII. His acceptance of Putin’s versions of events over those of his own intelligence staff, alluded to earlier in this thread, is just one example of several.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »
Here is why the rest of the world find Trump’s attitudes to his allies (and US’s previous foes) so worrying. There are two videos in this series and you need to watch both. I hope that you can view them in the US.

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the-blueprint-for-world-domination-that-spooked-am/p07087xd?playlist=ideas-that-shaped-the-world

Basically, to foreigners it feels as if Trump is tipping the balance of the world order towards Russia-China, and dismantling the checks and balances that have existed to prevent a single dominant non-democratic superpower from emerging since WWII. His acceptance of Putin’s versions of events over those of his own intelligence staff, alluded to earlier in this thread, is just one example of several.

I just watched those two videos.  I don’t expect the order to never change over the course of geological time,  but I fear that 45 is embracing the values of dictators (and mob bosses) over the long-held values of the west.  I can only imagine what Europeans think of trump, but I can tell you that I am appalled by him and his sycophants.  He embodies the worst of America.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
I just saved 15% on my car insurance.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:24 PM »
I saved.   I thought that meant something to you.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 03:57:47 AM »
food stamps save lives--lives of hungry innocent children

you mean that kind of savings?

or the savings that get depleted when americans get sick, since the vast majority of personal bankruptcies in US are a result of a family medical episode?

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 06:01:33 AM »

I just watched those two videos.  I don’t expect the order to never change over the course of geological time,  but I fear that 45 is embracing the values of dictators (and mob bosses) over the long-held values of the west.  I can only imagine what Europeans think of trump, but I can tell you that I am appalled by him and his sycophants.  He embodies the worst of America.

That site cost me a lot more time than it took to watch those two videos and I am not sorry. I learned a lot about economics, some science and even found the history of animation intriguing. This was one of my favorites - the history of the universe:

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/the-history-of-the-universe-in-4-minutes/p067jl92?playlist=amazing-animations

It does go a little political at the end, but I strongly agree with the direction.

EDIT - Another link to BBC that has some indication of what Europe thinks of Trump. It is not an opinion piece; in fact it seems remarkably dry and even reporting things that I feel pretty certain the majority of their readers find objectionable, but it gives you an idea of what stands out:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47430996
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:23:01 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 06:41:46 AM »
Yeah, the BBC are paid for by UK TV licence payers’ money, and so have a remit to be as impartial as they can be. Which means that they will try to give both sides of the argument if they can. In general, when the British public want to know what’s going on, they trust the BBC more than any other source. Alongside the National Health Service it is considered one of the great British institutions that contributes to a fairer and more civilised nation. However it is very much under threat these days. It will be a great shame when it is gone, because I think it will accelerate the social and economic divisions in our society.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
Seems we have moral issue at had, or mabe it was always there.   Books, articles and news cast have become complicit with fake news attempting persuade the reader at all cost.    I find both sides unable to to tell the truth.
Half truths and facts left out are just that.   Money is the driver for some for others its power.    Spooky is the right word in addition to scary describes how many feel today.     Its good to read both sides, evaluate the sources and don't a make decision on emotion, facts produce better results !  In my book winning at any cost, no matter how deceptive usually yields problems down the line.    Deliberately  misleading is a moral issue.

It's hard to find the truth, it is out there !   

Reading is far better than listening to 1 min news clips !

Happy hunting and paddling !

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
Well.... You can tell there are some wave deprived souls posting here. All this rain, dirty water, lack of ridable waves, and 20 ft of snow is giving some folks cabin fever.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
Well.... You can tell there are some wave deprived souls posting here. All this rain, dirty water, lack of ridable waves, and 20 ft of snow is giving some folks cabin fever.

Even worse for those of us without a board!  😄

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Print media is not inherently more accurate than other forms. One nice thing about getting news on the net is it is easier to cross check sources. I often search things I see posted to see if they are or were widely reported by news outlets. There is some bias, sensationalizing headlines to get eyeballs and breaking news is often short on relevant details or even wrong when rushed. But I still feel like I am much more likely to root out a more complete and accurate understanding online than using printed material. Online doesn't mean I believe every FB post or inflammatory blog post; people that do give the internet a bad rep.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Yeah, the BBC are paid for by UK TV licence payers’ money, and so have a remit to be as impartial as they can be. Which means that they will try to give both sides of the argument if they can. In general, when the British public want to know what’s going on, they trust the BBC more than any other source. Alongside the National Health Service it is considered one of the great British institutions that contributes to a fairer and more civilised nation. However it is very much under threat these days. It will be a great shame when it is gone, because I think it will accelerate the social and economic divisions in our society.

A-10, I’m not clear about whether a system of checks and balances exists for the BBC nor the NHS. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2019, 09:04:30 PM »
The challenge with news media is that both sides are using some really sleazy approaches to bring "news" to more respectable (barely) outlets. Say you have a completely fictional story, you check it out and can't confirm anything. So instead of spiking it as you would have when media was a little bit honorable, you feed it to some completely bogus "news" outlet (there are thousands of them on both sides)--or maybe you dump it to ten such sites who have names like "honestnewstoday" or "therealstory" or some such newspeak. When they can spare time from creating bullshit memes to feed into Facebook for useful idiots to share, they publish the completely fictional story. Now the news outlet with some modicum of respectability can publish their own version, attributing it to numerous source on the web, and even providing links to attribute as the "source".

Bottom line, you have to have your bullshit detector turned to eleven to have a hope of seeing through the chaff.

This is the reason I've been reading so many books. You can fact check the shit out of them. I did that with Comey's book and I'm working through "the threat" which I finished both listening to and reading a few days ago. I have copious notes and I'm digging through them. So far, squeaky clean. Both of them.

Here's the scary part, everything is a lot worse than I thought. And I thought it was a clusterfuck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal