Author Topic: The Threat  (Read 9539 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Threat
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:38:17 PM »
Okay, this is a lot spookier than I thought it would be. It's no fun having someone who is an intelligent, capable, dedicated public servant who completely understands the function and processes of the intelligence community and who made his bones busting Russian mobsters methodically and calmly unwrap our current clusterfuck and tell us how screwed we really are. I had nightmares last night. I never have nightmares.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: The Threat
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »
I'm sure there are many here who know precisely what you are referring to.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »
Oops, sorry. It's a book by Andrew McCabe, former director of the FBI.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
He was actually Deputy Director.  Anyone know why he was fired?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:04:05 PM by Bean »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 04:21:47 PM »
oh no--i just finished fifth risk.....

and i knew a lot of what was written, but it's scary when presented so comprehensively

i am sure ill feel worse after the threat, but ill get to it

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »
He was actually Deputy Director.  Anyone know why he was fired?

Acting director when he was fired. The book is a slow start, but rolls right along. Very credible guy, very rough story.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
Did Hillary not contribute $600k to his wifes campaign fund?  How would he not be confliced in his investigation? Credible my ass...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
nope-- a pac controlled by terry macauliffe, an ally of the clintons did.

and yeah mcabe's wife is a democrat, who ran for office and received donations from demo entities but there is zero evidence that mccabe did anything that benefitted hilary in the email probe, or any fbi activities

in fact, net, the fbi's handling of the email probe, as executed by comey and mccabe, may have caused Trump to be elected:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/01/what-really-happened-with-andrew-mccabe-it-wasnt-conspiracy-fbi

but email issues seem to be like deficits these days---aok! nbd!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ivanka-trump-used-a-personal-email-account-to-send-hundreds-of-emails-about-government-business-last-year/2018/11/19/6515d1e0-e7a1-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.d90618b5174c

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html

then there's trump's wholesale rejection of security requirements:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/21/trump-phone-security-risk-hackers-601903

whatever................"look at all he's accomplished"----cue vomiting

we know what sessions said about why mccabe was fired--but there's a whole lot more to that story (you know sessions, our esteemed atty gen'l, who clearly lied to congress--"forgot" "got tripped up by tough questioning" (sessions is a lawyer, no?)--when asked re contact with russians during the election--yep sessions---so why sessions said mccabe was fired dont fly so good with me.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/17/mccabe-fired-trump-fbi-1173596

just began the book--we'll see how i feel at the end

we differ on this, bean--i hope cheerfully! you seem a nice human-- i plan to hit you next time west winds send me over the verrazano

got some repairs to get done, need to borrow a good vacuum setup--just kidding, be well

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:05:25 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 11:07:50 AM »
We need to consider McCabes independence from two broad perspectives, independence in-fact but also independence in appearance.

McCabe didn't exactly hit it out of the box with his investigation of Benghazi either...is anyone satisfied that we know all that we should know about the circumstances surrounding Benghazi?

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
We need to consider McCabes independence from two broad perspectives, independence in-fact but also independence in appearance.

McCabe didn't exactly hit it out of the box with his investigation of Benghazi either...is anyone satisfied that we know all that we should know about the circumstances surrounding Benghazi?

Yeah, I am. There were about a half dozen investigations. My opinion is it could have been handled a lot better, but it wasn't gross negligence. Then Hillary's crew tried to make it sound like the mistake was not her fault. I don't think they crossed the line doing it, but they came pretty close. I am not a Hillary fan. I voted for her because she isn't named Trump. I don't think she should be in jail, but I don't think she was the best candidate the DEMs could have gone with as far as suitability to govern at the highest level.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
Same here RTG but voted for Trump in opposition of Hillary.  Mostly because I've seen first hand the pitfalls of "socialized medicine".

The problem with McCabe was that he had "trouble with the truth", he showed "lack of candor".  These are all nice ways of saying that he lied while in his official capacity.  That's a huge issue that can not be overlooked, and one that DT himself may soon be facing.  Yes, it will get interesting.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
Same here RTG but voted for Trump in opposition of Hillary.  Mostly because I've seen first hand the pitfalls of "socialized medicine".

The problem with McCabe was that he had "trouble with the truth", he showed "lack of candor".  These are all nice ways of saying that he lied while in his official capacity.  That's a huge issue that can not be overlooked, and one that DT himself may soon be facing.  Yes, it will get interesting.

Totally socialized medicine or just single payer?  I think we would be better off with a single payer comprehensive plan, like Medicare for all, but I am against government run health care. But the really odd thing is that my support of it is one reason I didn't like Hillary. She tried hard to be vague about it, but I don't think she would have pushed for single payer. If she were president and congress decided to actually represent their constituents, the majority of whom are in favor of single payer, and put a bill on her desk she would probably sign it. Yes, I know she pushed it in the past but she wasn't sitting at the table, didn't really know the game and owe any favors yet.

It's a shame we have developed such a high tolerance for deceit from government officials. Trump has lowered the bar even further. As much as I liked Obama, who I think is a genuinely good person, he told a few whoppers. Bill Clinton once said that term limits is the only reason he didn't get elected again. He may be right; the peace and prosperity of his tenure was nice and he even managed a surplus budget one year (he was the last to do that). But lying came naturally to him and we all knew it before his second term.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »

Totally socialized medicine or just single payer?  I think we would be better off with a single payer comprehensive plan, like Medicare for all, but I am against government run health care. But the really odd thing is that my support of it is one reason I didn't like Hillary. She tried hard to be vague about it, but I don't think she would have pushed for single payer. If she were president and congress decided to actually represent their constituents, the majority of whom are in favor of single payer, and put a bill on her desk she would probably sign it. Yes, I know she pushed it in the past but she wasn't sitting at the table, didn't really know the game and owe any favors yet.

It's a shame we have developed such a high tolerance for deceit from government officials. Trump has lowered the bar even further. As much as I liked Obama, who I think is a genuinely good person, he told a few whoppers. Bill Clinton once said that term limits is the only reason he didn't get elected again. He may be right; the peace and prosperity of his tenure was nice and he even managed a surplus budget one year (he was the last to do that). But lying came naturally to him and we all knew it before his second term.

Closer to single payer system, but referred to as socialized medicine back in the day.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
benghazi? i found it, unsurprisingly, to be a typical invented scandal---a tragedy for those involved, no doubt, but not a result of dangerous incompetence, and where there was no nefarious coverup--info was sketchy, as often the case surrounding mideast violence--the info evolved, improved over time

the trey gowdy benghazi session was laughable--not a hilary fan but she held up quite respectably, given 13 hours of testimony in a totally hostile setting--embarrassing otherwise

i cant imagine any of us inder 65 havent felt the challenge of our  current health care system, including some real, often deadly, tragedies. i dont even know what to call it, it's private insurance, but impossible to shop--totally non-competitive---and nearly impossible to get (since obamacare's been gutted) if a person doesnt work for a big corp---and the premium costs, combined with deductibles, mean many families pay in 30k$+ before they get a dime out out the "insurer"---whatever

decent family coverage these days costs minimum 2000 per month, with family deductibles usually 3-5000 and individual deductibles of 1 or 2000--what could be worse?

i dont hear perfection out of single payer countries, but i hear of superior levels of care for the non-wealthy---stats certainly back that up
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:22:11 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 04:29:40 PM »
benghazi? i found it, unsurprisingly, to be a typical invented scandal---a tragedy for those involved, no doubt, but not a result of dangerous incompetence, and where there was no nefarious coverup--

Except the fact that McCabe recharacterized the attack as a non terrorist event when in fact he already knew the truth.  In other words he showed a lack of candor when communicating the events to his people at the FBI and other related agencies.  The agents actually working on the case were stunned. They were forced to follow through with the lie, WTF.

Healthcare for all would be great, but here and now in the US, we simply can’t afford it.  Go visit a critical access hospital in rural America, and you will see the juxtaposition of poverty and healthcare played out right before your eyes.  It will bring you to tears.

On a tour of one such hospital a couple years back, the administrator told me the place lights up on Valentine’s Day-our cafeteria is the best restaurant in town.  That’s not a reflection of how good the food was but rather how depressed the surrounding community was.  In OZ they would cover an area like this with flying doctors and not spend millions on a dying hospital, but that’s a whole other topic and there are both good pros and cons.

We need a stronger economy and a lot less drag, including defense spending.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal