Author Topic: Surfing the Fun Side of the Wall - Punta de Mita  (Read 6000 times)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surfing the Fun Side of the Wall - Punta de Mita
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
Just back from a month long excursion down south of the border - north of Puerto Vallarta - bopped around Punta de Mita - Sayulita - San Pancho and had some great sessions.  Highly recommend Punta de Mita - several easily accessible surf breaks - cheap panga boat hire for drop off and pick up and crowds are not bad and very friendly.

Also stayed up in Sayulita which has some nice waves but very crowded with all kinds of folks....actually got pretty comical at times - a nice set would come through and thirty folks would paddle for the wave - about ten would make the first drop - five would manage to stay up to the bottom and two would manage to make it on down the line...WildMex runs a shuttle from Sayulita back down to Punta and the La Lancha break and that worked quite well to get out of town.  La Lancha is incredibly consistent and fun - can get crowded but the vibe is good and everyone gets some.

San Pancho is a cool town with great vibe - lots of music - and crappy SUP surfing....river break is steep and fast and never looked very good.

Overall a really fun place to surf with many consistent options and cheap food and beer.  Best part was we completely missed the famed Seattle "Snowmageddon" event that paralyzed the city for a week....Ha!

One quick pic - this is up at The Cove - a short boat ride from town....lost two friggen hats that day...dang!

PS - shout out to Alaska Airlines for only charging the 25$ extra bag fee for a paddleboard - makes it a no brainer to take your board with
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:26:53 AM by oldfartsuperdad »
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing the Fun Side of the Wall - Punta de Mita
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Nice trip stories. Nice way to miss some winter. And that board deal with Alaska really is too cheap not to do.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
Sounds like the prefect Mex surf trip. Hand made Tortillas, Fréjoles, Huevos, Cervezas and Surf. Oh...Yah 8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »
Love Punta de Mita and the area north of PV. Stayed at a great surf hotel (Quinta Del Sol) just outside expensive gated hotel area as well as further north in Chacala where my cousin has a place a few years back. Glad you scored when you were there. My last trip only had a couple of good days with larger surf but as you said La Lancha is pretty consistent no matter the swell. There's also a great left point a little further north from San Pancho accessible only by boat - won't name it here but you can PM me for details.   
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »
I've had some fun trips to  Sayalita before it got too crowded and also to Burrows. You got me thinking maybe I should return soon

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:58:17 AM »
Sounds like an amazing trip OFSD.... thanks for sharing the info!

More pics would be awesome, if you have them  :)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
Hey Thanks Creek - it was a good trip and I got in an amazing amount of surfing considering my non-surfing spousal unit was with me - she does her own thing - painting / hiking etc and lets me do my thing...its been a good arrangement.

I loved your travelogue thread - so inspiring and man I wish I could get better pictures - the above is a screenshot from one pretty good clip, after that, my battery went tits up and I never got around to trying again.  Its funny, I cant seem to walk and chew gum when it comes to pics - I've got the camera on the paddle shaft and as soon as I get on a wave its all I can do to wave it around and think about the video being shot and I usually forget to actually surf the wave!   After a few of those, I usually say screw it and just surf hard and enjoy the moment.

I would dearly like to see myself from a distance as its a great way to learn - found that out in a surf camp in Costa Rica that was filmed..need a waterproof follow me drone or something...although knowing that was around would probably mess me up too!  Ha
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
Hey I did that same trip " inside the walls" last June with my daughters .  Rented a airbnb at la terraraz which had a golf cart included .  I got up early each morning and drove the cart to the "beach club" by the pier with my sup on top .  Jumped off the end of the pier and paddled around to the cove .  No panga needed .   Take a few rides at el faro if its working too (or stay there if its good) then over to the cove .  Surf for a few hours and paddle back to the pier and beach club , shower , and hang out in the pool with a drink all before my daughters woke up .   Perfect family vacation .  Going again this June !   Yes alaska rocks , boards are included as a checked bag .  Carry on plus a board is free! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal