Author Topic: ISUP storage... deflated or inflated?  (Read 3372 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ISUP storage... deflated or inflated?
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
Got a great deal on a couple SIC Recon inflatables for my Caribbean home.  Bought them for my wife and friends and for my own leisurely paddles.

I had a ULI years ago, which I explained in another thread, but it imploded.

How do most of you store your inflatable SUPs for extended periods of time (3-4 months)?  Do you leave deflated or inflated?  Storing inflated seems to go against the whole idea of an iSUP .easy storage and taking up less space.

Thanks for any suggestions
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: ISUP storage... deflated or inflated?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »
I've owned my Hala for 2yrs and just keep it rolled up in it's storage pack without issues so far. I will say this, I keep it indoors rather in my garage just due to heat buildup that occurs in the garage from my car.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
Greenwatersports can weigh in, but I think either way is acceptable.  I kept my Red inflated, but space wasn’t an issue.  Some people keep them partially inflated.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 04:53:04 AM »
From a recent inflatable paddle board post i wrote:

I store some boards fully inflated in an outdoor store room (tropical warm and humid climate) for months on end and only top up the boards once in a while. Other boards I store inside in AC rolled up.

A rolled up board will have some wrinkles but after a few hours inflated, they'll iron themselves out from the inside out with the pressure.

If you'll be leaving the board for months at a time and have space, I usually suggest unrolled on a flat surface at 1-2PSI, away from sources of extreme heat or cold, rodents and sharp objects, out of the elements (sun mostly). Otherwise, rolled up in the closet is fine too.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
Hey Julian, thanks so much for your suggestion/ recommendations on isup storage.
The climate there is similar to yours.
  I had kept the ULI rolled up over the years and didn t use it much in between. Finally after a couple of years I took it out and found the air chambers inside had rotted and the board was one giant sausage   An expensive one at that.
I hope these new isups last a little longer.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:51:19 AM »
Hey Julian, thanks so much for your suggestion/ recommendations on isup storage.
The climate there is similar to yours.
  I had kept the ULI rolled up over the years and didn t use it much in between. Finally after a couple of years I took it out and found the air chambers inside had rotted and the board was one giant sausage   An expensive one at that.
I hope these new isups last a little longer.

My guess is that it started as a small area and that as you inflated it grew. The strands around the snapped ones would be under a greater strain and snap, then the ones just beyond them and so on. But that's just a guess. I am not sure how they would all "rot" (quoted since the materials are anything but biodegradable).
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
I've got a 2016 Red Paddle Co Ride 10'6" that has been inflated most of it's life, sitting in the outdoor closet. It's at about 18PSI and I just top it up every now and then as needed. Likewise my 2019 Starboard 14x28 All Star has been inflated since I got it in mid November.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Good to know Julian, our other option is carry them back and forth in their backpacks each trip and use them here and in the U.S. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal