Author Topic: Tips for first second hand? E.g. f one manawa  (Read 3185 times)

ValenciaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Tips for first second hand? E.g. f one manawa
« on: February 25, 2019, 06:47:02 AM »
Hello and thank you for having me in the forum,
As my nickname suggests I am in the flat part of Europe along the Valencia coast.

Having a watersports history in bodyboard, longboard and skimboard has led me to start SUP due to my new residence.

I see my self as a SUP SUS beginner and will buy a SUP for me to practice all the basics+surfing and for occasional use by family and friends in flat conditions.

A friend recommended to buy a gongsup nfa 10" 2019 set but 1000€ is slightly over budget as I can only afford up to 800€.
I would be thankful for any tips on what to look out for when buying hardboards second hand?

My local has some f-one manawas 10"6' in storage for 550€. I would like to know if that's a good beginner board for flat and up to chest high chopy waves? I would be going out in stormy conditions and on flat days.

My goal is to train in order to take the car or cheap flights to Portugal to SUS and rent some smaller boards + do some more professional courses.

Thank you for your help

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for first second hand? E.g. f one manawa
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
Hi and welcome...

I'll share my experience with the 10'6 Manawa.

I tried it and some other F-One models. They make good boards.  The 10'6 though was of a different construction than the others. I don't know if that is true of all 10'6 Manawas. It was wrapped in a plastic like skin, like BIC sups, and was on the heavy side. (The 10'6 Manawa was the only F-One in that construction. The others were normal bamboo-glass type layup.)

The 10'6 would be totally fine for learning to sup surf. With your longboard/skim board experience you have an advantage.  But then you have the issue of whether you should get a more dedicated flat water board if that is what your home water is.

I don't know what access you have to used boards. But consider taking a little time to find a lighter weight but well made board. And from a company (like F-One) with a good reputation. That said, 500 Euros for a new Manawa sounds like a bargain.

Maybe our European brothers can chime in with advice/resources for you.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:31:21 AM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Easy. GONG SUP 10'6 PERV 165 FSP

849 Euros currently. Surfs really well - much better than you’d think, and good for flat water too.

For a full PVC sandwich board with carbon it’s a bargain.

Perfect surf + allround board for someone starting out, and it’s a classier board than many that are nearly twice the price.

ValenciaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
The problem with gong I have is that it goes above budget due to postage... And I still miss a paddle leash and bag (have to pull mine up to the 3rd floor with ropes for storage when I am gone abriad and store it for usage on ground floor)
They also only seem to have the new model, so I can't see any carbon?
Otherwise sounds good just a bit over budget: 1000€+ with extras and postage.

I contacted all surf schools in the area and they only offer racers, yoga boards, inflatables. So the local f one would be ok.

I forgot to mention I literally have my flat the beach so I only have to carry it across the street 50m and I don't mind carrying anything heavy if it does not affect performance

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
I’m guessing the Manawa is the ASC construction one?

Look, 500 euros for a new board is very good. The Manawa is a bit wider than I think you’d need at 33”, and it’s going to be quite a lump to surf at nearly 200L, and it’s not light (12.5kg). But for a first board it doesn’t matter too much. And you really aren’t going to have many options with your budget unless you buy used (and even then). Whatever you get you are going to want something else in 6 months anyway.

Get the best paddle you can afford. The paddle is more critical to your enjoyment than the board, really.

ValenciaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
Is there a better/cheaper alternative to the gongsup full carbon paddle with changeable size?

And the manawa wouldn't be new it would be used.
 tipps on what to check for when I look at the boards to pick one?

Yes it's the colourful ASC vversion. So you believe that the PERV would possibly allow me to go beyond 6 months? I am only intending to add something to the quiver in 1 year+ should I decide to drive Sagres or north Spain more often

Ps. GONG SUP 10'0 NFA 140 WOODCKFUSION/ the old 12" PERV are going for 600/640 new... So I am questioning if that might be a better deal than the f-one (unless he throws in a bag, paddle and leash for free)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:52:51 PM by ValenciaSUP »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
Is there a better/cheaper alternative to the gongsup full carbon paddle with changeable size?

And the manawa wouldn't be new it would be used.
 tipps on what to check for when I look at the boards to pick one?

Yes it's the colourful ASC vversion. So you believe that the PERV would possibly allow me to go beyond 6 months? I am only intending to add something to the quiver in 1 year+ should I decide to drive Sagres or north Spain more often
The Perv is the sort of board you hold onto even when you become expert. They are just somuseful to have in a quiver, for friends, pootling about, or small surf summer fun.

If that Manawa is used then I probably wouldn’t get it. Are there buy and sell FB pages near you? Or eBay etc? If you can find any of the following within your buyer and in decent condition then buy them:

JP longboard 10-6 or 11-6.
Naish Nalu 10-6, 11ft, 11-4, 11-6.
Fanatic Fly 10-6, 11, 11-6.
Gong NFA 10, 11, 12 (only buy new).
Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control 10 or 11.
Jimmy Lewis Striker -sizes over 9ft.
Sunova Kruze - any size.
Starboard - Widepoint 10-5
Starboard Blend 11-2.

There are lots of other well-respected boards others will no doubt recommend too. Many of the models that have been around for years (like the Naish Nalu for instance) have been around for so long because they are simply very useful and versatile boards to own. So look for them by googling the name and a previous year (eg. 2014) to see if it existed then and looked pretty much like it does today.

Smaller sizes will be easier to surf but harder to use for distance paddies, and longer boards vice-versa.

The quality of build of the Jimmy Lewis boards is generally the best. They go on for years so can make a good used buy.

And the Gong paddles are very good value. Basically, all the Gong stuff is pretty amazing value, and it’s designed by a really expert world-class SUP surfer.

I found the build quality of some of the Gong boards from years ago a bit hit and miss. But they really seem to have got their act together very recently, so be keener to buy from them new than used.

Happy hunting!

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:32 AM »
Hello and thank you for having me in the forum,
As my nickname suggests I am in the flat part of Europe along the Valencia coast.

My goal is to train in order to take the car or cheap flights to Portugal to SUS and rent some smaller boards + do some more professional courses.

Thank you for your help

Hi V SUP, welcome to the Zone!
Please keep us up with your experience as you enter the SUP world....
it's always great to see things from the beginning perspective, as it will help others who are just starting out.

A few thoughts for when you are ready to go to Portugal for your next step into SUP surfing:

I am currently in Sagres Portugal, I would recommend if you come to learn SUP surf, that you talk to the schools and make sure you come in the proper season for good waves to learn on.
In winter, it is always big and very challenging on the west coast.... and south coast seems flat most of the time.
Summer has more favorable conditions for learning.

In Cascais, my friend Manuel owns GUSU at Praia da Parede , which has an awesome set-up for teaching beginning SUP surf.
It is close to Lisbon and doesn't have accommodations, but does have the right location for teaching.
Plenty of Airbnb's around plus,
You can take a train from the airport to a few blocks from the beach.
Even if the waves are big outside, there is a perfect place to teach closer to beach.
He is a very good and passionate instructor that has all the proper equipment and safety gear
His shop in right at the beach.
I interviewed him on my last Portugal video, found on my Portugal thread under the "General Discussion" heading.
I liked the spot and the people so much, that I came back yesterday to surf here!
http://www.gusupaddlesurf.com/index.html

I visited another town that looked like it would have a great setup for teaching.
Vila Nova de Milfontes is midway up the west coast of the Algarve.
It had a great setup for many different wave conditions for instructors to pick from.

I mention these spots because I have seen that much of the coast has difficult access and conditions for learning SUP surf... and so many SUP schools here that choosing the right one may be a daunting task.
Many are simply surfers looking to make a buck off the sport.

If you get proficient quickly and feel you are ready for a more dedicated SUP surf advanced coaching/training,
I highly recommend:
Tiago Silva at Mauka Lodge in Ericeira, Portugal
This is a dedicated full service SUP retreat with everything you need to become an advanced SUP surfer.
Personal coaching from the best in the business.
Tiago has the latest Sunova SUPs available for guests
https://www.maukalodge.com/

ValenciaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »
Thank you for the f one review

Thank you for the list of boards to hunt area 10!

And thank you for the Portugal school guide very helpful and useful as I had the same bad experience (surf schools banking quick money) with my bodyboard expérience so I cherish some tips for good location and school for my level!

I checked the local market but the boards are either 20% lower to new ones used or not being sold. I will try Facebook groups and check other areas within reach of my car. I also think I have to lift my budget to at least 1100€ (will take time) so I can cover the gongsup nfa or PERV if I can't get any of the suggested models.

Last question: is there a good guide on what I have to check a used board, e.g. fin boxes, scratches/repairs and how to know if it will last or not?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 03:37:48 AM »
I don’t know of any guide to buying a used board. The industry wants you buying new, not used!

But there are two really useful things in particular you can do when checking a used board. The first is to weigh it. Find out what the manufacturers said the board should weight (get the correct year because they change constructions from year to year, and the exact model, eg. GTW or GS, AST vs. carbon etc) and then take a pair of scales with you and weigh the board. The weight when dry and without fin should be within about 6% of the claimed weight. If it’s more than 10% more, move on.

If the board passes that test, then lift it up by the handle with the fin fitted. Make sure that the board balances well in your hand. If it is obviously tail or nose heavy, it may have taken on board water, so give it a miss.

After you’ve done these tests, look the board over very careful. Go over every inch of it top and bottom to check for dings and poor repairs (a professional repair probably won’t even be detected by an amateur, it should be so good). Check the rails particularly carefully, since that is the area most often damaged. Be suspicious of decals that have been stuck on the board - people often use them to hide dings or poor repairs.

Check carefully around the finbox for cracks, and anywhere for signs of water when the board should be dry. Ideally you’d take someone who knows what they are doing with you. But if you are careful and make sure that you buy from someone who seems genuine and honest, and where you are viewing the board at their home (ie. not in a motorway service station, or by the side of the road or far away from their home) then you should be OK. Use common sense, stick to your budget, be polite but insistent in your enquiries, and don’t be afraid to walk away if something doesn’t feel right.

Be very suspicious of modified boards (eg. extra handles fitted, resprays, different deck pads etc). If mods have been done, check them very carefully, and ask who did them.

I’ve bought (and sold) many SUPs, and actually I’ve had less trouble with used boards than I have with new purchases! Sadly, it’s not unusual to buy a SUP new and for it to have a construction fault on arrival, or to have been damaged in transit. So do the same checks when a new board arrives too, before you sign for it.

Hope this helps.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
Check carefully around the finbox for cracks, and anywhere for signs of water when the board should be dry.

...and check how the fins fit once installed.  Are they tight and secure, or feel loose? Side to side pressure can reveal loose finbox or cracks around the finbox. Also check that the little hex head fin set screws are not stripped. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal