Author Topic: Used board market  (Read 4435 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Used board market
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
I haven't looked at selling or buying a board in ages. I'd assume the market is fairly flooded these days. My son-in-law wants to sell his Coreban Alpha Race 14. I told him it's not worth 1/2 of what he paid and that he should just keep it but he says he's not interested in racing and prefers the 12-6 they have for just cruising. 2013 or 14 I believe...not carbon...wood deck...great shape. I'd guess $500 but really have no idea....thoughts.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Used board market
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 05:20:31 PM »
Stone Axe

No idea but I will soon find out the market value for a carbon Riviera Downwinder. I just didn’t get the time on the water with it I thought I would. Most of my free time I go surfing.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
Hey Bob, I think he could get $400-$500 for it. I was trying to sell a practically brand new Infinity carbon raceboard at the end of last summer for over 1K less than retail and it took awhile. Part of that was timing. I’ve noticed that there is zero interest in buying boards after July unless you’re really into the sport and see something that really catches your eye. I bought an old 14’ Naish Glide back in October for $200. Board is in amazing shape. I just couldn’t pass up that kind of deal and plan to have it for friends and family that need a bit more volume. That guy priced it to go quick and it did, I think his ad was only up for 4 hours by the time I went and grabbed it. I plan on posting a bunch of used boards on our FB page this spring so if it hasn’t gone yet, I’d be happy to post it for you. Or maybe in the CCBC group or CC Sup page too. You might even be able to list at 600 and get 5 fairly easily.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
A lot has to do with timing and proximity. But yes the market get pretty saturated, specially at the two ends i.e. Under 25" race boards and beginners el cheapo boards.
The boards that advanced paddlers not racing would like and keep, still have a strong market when you can find one locally. At least fro us here in Canada. SoCal is likely a different case with board galore all around.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:27 AM »
I've bought and sold a few race boards and in my experience:

- Don't sell any later than August unless you have to. Now models come out then and demand dries up fast.
- Starboard Allstars sell in days - everything else can take a while.
- Even if the board is a year old, don't expect to pay any more than 1/3 to 1/2 its original retail price.
- If buying, target team paddlers boards. They have less overheads to worry about and often just need to make back on the trade price they paid for it at the most.
- Selling any board narrower than 25 inches may a take a while. This seems to be a psychological or skill barrier for many recreational racers.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
Hey Bob, I think he could get $400-$500 for it. I was trying to sell a practically brand new Infinity carbon raceboard at the end of last summer for over 1K less than retail and it took awhile. Part of that was timing. I’ve noticed that there is zero interest in buying boards after July unless you’re really into the sport and see something that really catches your eye. I bought an old 14’ Naish Glide back in October for $200. Board is in amazing shape. I just couldn’t pass up that kind of deal and plan to have it for friends and family that need a bit more volume. That guy priced it to go quick and it did, I think his ad was only up for 4 hours by the time I went and grabbed it. I plan on posting a bunch of used boards on our FB page this spring so if it hasn’t gone yet, I’d be happy to post it for you. Or maybe in the CCBC group or CC Sup page too. You might even be able to list at 600 and get 5 fairly easily.

Where is a great place to find used boards posted?  Craigslist doesn’t really work for me because I live where nine re ever posted.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »
S4E.   look on Distressed Mullet Classifieds  (besides the Zone)   https://distressedmullet.com/classifieds/

https://distressedmullet.com/classifieds/

Their classifieds were down for a while but just back up.  Was about to throw my Style up on there you asked about.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
+1 vote on distressed. Bought two boards there. both out of state and both boards were shipped to me by seller or store where the board was on consignment.

I also watch CL ads from stores that want to clean up inventory before the end of the year.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »

Where is a great place to find used boards posted?  Craigslist doesn’t really work for me because I live where nine re ever posted.

I look at CL and the FB marketplace, which has picked up steam pretty quickly. They have about the same number of SUP ads with surprisingly little overlap (most boards listed one place and not the other). FB does a really poor job of sorting outside the immediate area though. It does a good job showing me the ones really nearby first, but then it might show me some 5 hours away before it shows me some that are one or two hours away.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

I look at CL and the FB marketplace, which has picked up steam pretty quickly. They have about the same number of SUP ads with surprisingly little overlap (most boards listed one place and not the other). FB does a really poor job of sorting outside the immediate area though. It does a good job showing me the ones really nearby first, but then it might show me some 5 hours away before it shows me some that are one or two hours away.

Cool!  What Facebook page is the “FB” marketplace?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
+1 vote on distressed. Bought two boards there. both out of state and both boards were shipped to me by seller or store where the board was on consignment.

I also watch CL ads from stores that want to clean up inventory before the end of the year.

Distressed Mullet has changed their classifieds so you can’t see off the bat where the posting is.  I liked it better before the changes, so I’m still going to keep a close eye on the ads.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »

Cool!  What Facebook page is the “FB” marketplace?

There have been local for sale groups for a while, but Marketplace is a newish feature. Below are some instructions from a quick search:

Marketplace is available in the Facebook app and on desktops and tablets. Look for the at the bottom of the app on iOS or at the top of the app on Android. If using a web browser, you can find Marketplace on the left side of the Facebook page.
Facebook Marketplace - Buy and Sell Locally
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/learn-more
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
My 4-6 year old boards with a few ding repairs would be lucky to draw in $200-300 here in So Cal.  I keep the beaters for teaching and friends.  I'd probably give them to someone I know that's interested in the sport without batting an eye.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »
My 4-6 year old boards with a few ding repairs would be lucky to draw in $200-300 here in So Cal.  I keep the beaters for teaching and friends.  I'd probably give them to someone I know that's interested in the sport without batting an eye.

Anything you might want to sell and ship?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
Where I'm at the market is flooded me think.
I advertised my new 2019 Naish Maliko 14x26 in late 2018 and still no interest until now, years ago it would have been sold within a week. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal