Author Topic: Black Project - Hydro (Well that was PDQ)  (Read 6510 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Black Project - Hydro (Well that was PDQ)
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
Just took delivery of a Black Project Hydro, ordered through Big Winds, but shipped directly from BP on Maui, 2 day air.  Looking to get out this afternoon for a little test paddle. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Project - Hydro (Well that was PDQ)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »
Hope you like it, it seems like you've been on that quest for a while now.
It's not the cheapest even with the sale.

The thing that stayed with me with Black Project was their T-Handle which
is the best in the business IMO. I saw they only offer it with the Palm Grip,
can't remember if their interchangeable but if it is would probably check it.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:25:21 AM »
It’s such a shame that so few brands off t-handles these days. I’m waiting for a brand to come up with swappable handles of different sizes and shapes, for different hand sizes and activities. Surely there could be some money in that? I used to be able to buy palm grip or t-handles for e.g. my Kialoas about 10 years ago, but since then we seem to have gone backwards in what customers can standardly order.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:59:19 AM »
Love the T on my Kialoas but the palm on the new Hydro is the best feeling grip I’ve experienced in a distance paddle. 

I only had it out for a short paddle yesterday, but the 83 feels great, it’s a keeper for sure.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 06:06:49 AM »
I'm stating the obvious but KENALU has a Classic T handle available on all their paddles

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »
Yes, and I really like Kenalu paddles, but Black Project also offers several handle options and one of, if not the best 3 piece travel paddle on the planet.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
BP is a nice paddle, but they need more R & D with their shaft's and hopefully, the new shaft options might be better now though not 100% sure.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
I actually have the old design shaft and so far it works fine for me.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »
It’s such a shame that so few brands off t-handles these days. I’m waiting for a brand to come up with swappable handles of different sizes and shapes, for different hand sizes and activities. Surely there could be some money in that? I used to be able to buy palm grip or t-handles for e.g. my Kialoas about 10 years ago, but since then we seem to have gone backwards in what customers can standardly order.

Ummm. I know no one ever talks about them here, but have you ever heard of Ke Nalu?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 04:19:15 AM »

Ummm. I know no one ever talks about them here, but have you ever heard of Ke Nalu?
Yes, and I’ve owned two. But the handle options are limited in terms of size. And I can’t get Ke Nalu t-handles locally here in the UK anyway, which is a shame because I quite liked the extended ergo-T I had (which I imported from the US back in the early days). And I want oval shafts please :)

What I was envisaging was a size chart where brands would show hand size measurements like clothing brands would do for gloves, and then different handle sizes to suit. After all, we cut shafts to suit us and choose blade sizes to suit us. So why not have a range of different handle sizes and shapes to suit us? I’d pay extra for the option for sure. There must be a lot of women and men with smaller hands (or those who want a more flickable handle) who would prefer a smaller handle. And perhaps some who eg. do endurance events or have big hands who want bigger ones.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:42 AM »
...I’d pay extra for the option for sure...

Now you said the magic word, which opens up few opportunities for
you. I thought you'd get there sooner and get your self a custom
by now? It is the most important piece of equipment after all.

It's not like you don't already have 10-15 paddles, when I got there,
I started mixing & matching between parts of different manufacturers
 and actually found some really good combinations.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:44:04 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 05:33:24 AM »
Yup, when you find a paddle that’s fits you, it’s magic.  I’ve felt that a few times, the first, many years ago with a Kialoa Shaka Puu,  then a couple of years later, a Kenalu Wiki, followed by an early Hulu and now finally the Hydro.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »
...I’d pay extra for the option for sure...

Now you said the magic word, which opens up few opportunities for
you. I thought you'd get there sooner and get your self a custom
by now? It is the most important piece of equipment after all.

It's not like you don't already have 10-15 paddles, when I got there,
I started mixing & matching between parts of different manufacturers
 and actually found some really good combinations.
I’ve got a lot more paddles than that :)

For most paddling, my QB vdrive 71 with oval tapered shaft suits me perfectly. But I’d like a paddle for surfing that has a t-handle, oval shaft, and small blade. It turns out that there aren’t many options like that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
The feel of the oval shaft and proper T is what sends me back to my Kialoa surf paddles.  There is nothing better for popping up between sets and sending it without even looking to align the blade.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
The feel of the oval shaft and proper T is what sends me back to my Kialoa surf paddles.  There is nothing better for popping up between sets and sending it without even looking to align the blade.
Absolutely. If the GL Surf paddle I have had a smaller blade, I’d need to look no further. But Kialoa have stopped using oval shafts, unfortunately, so I can’t buy one with a smaller blade and the original GL puts too much strain on me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal