Author Topic: flat water start on a hand made foil  (Read 6495 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: flat water start on a hand made foil
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
Thanks Container.  Wide!  Wide! Wide!.  I only weigh 155lbs(73.5 kg) so Iim hoping my 41"(1041mm) wing will do.  Mine is slightly thicker than yours, guessing 1.6 to 1.7 in 40-43 mm)  We are pretty close.  Either way, Its going to be fun!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 06:54:33 PM »
Container what are you using to get your thickness? Are you laminating 2 thicker pieces of plywood or are you using several thinner layers and laminating them on the curved form?

I think an official build thread is needed man. You have done what I set out to prove, that a home made foil could perform like a commercial one. Congrats and thanks as the heat is off of me now lol.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »
this one is 5 layers of shit quality 7mm ply stuck together with bostik pva glue and screwed to the former. if i were to do it again i'd go for 17 layers of good 2mm so the wing tips can end up alot slimmer while still holding shape and not try to splay out all over the place.
the bonus of doing it this way is besides the reinforcing for the mount in the middle, it only needs 1 or 2 layers of light glass to seal it and its plenty strong enough
this is slowly turning into a build thread!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 04:18:13 AM »
Curious as to what foil termplate you are going with.  Looks like a NACA 4414 or 4415 but with a little more underside camber.  Maybe it's your own derivative.  My first wings were carved ply.  Frickin rugged but heavy.  If you ever free up some time, you could shave 2/3 of the weight by using the laced wing method.  You already have the anhedral forms made. Just cut out the templates, drill them, and lace them with 48K of carbon fiber tow.  Fill with 2 part polyurethane foam and use half the glass and carbon.  Just a thought...    Very nice work!  Congrats!  You deserve it!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 05:04:56 AM »
Or try drilling out large holes through wing and filling with expanding foam.  Still plenty strong and lighter.  Or I could just shut up!  Some people like heavier wings.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
Congratulations container! Your hard work and skills payed off. Many of us who DIY are impressed. I’ve been contemplating making a high aspect wing like the signature albatross for a while. Already have the go foil but that signature pumps like a mofo. I like the method that SUPeter uses with the carbon laced wings but I don’t think I have the skills. I wish go foil would make one however I probably won’t want to pay $$$ to get it and then modify to fit my existing. SUPeter, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you mention in another thread that your materials cost per wing was approximately $50 or so? If so I could afford a few throwaways to get it right.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »
supeter your wing construction does look awesome but i change my mind quicker than the weather when it comes to wings so im all about quick and easy. plus i love wood carving so they go hand in hand

my only criteria is cheap and bouyant so as long as they float im happy. ive surfed polystyrene wings, plywood ones and production go foils and honestly if they float then i dont reckon the weight makes any noticeable difference at all. if anything heavier is better in the surf because you dont feel as much buffeting from the turbulent water and as you can see 5+kg of plywood will work fine in flat water too
heres my foil section 160mm from the centre of the wing, i didnt base it off any established foil shape i just shaped what i thought looked right. the leading edge is a little blunt but i like that for dock and flat water starts, it seems to hold the flow at super low speeds and extremely high angles of attack while pumping

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
Materials cost is approximately 50 dollars.  $2-3 for plywood, $1 for carbon tow( I bought 10,000 feet for $80) $10 for resin, , $4 for 6 oz glass , $20 for 3K carbon twill, $8  for 2 part polyurethane.  $3 for fillers.  of course the initial layout for supplies is more to begin the process and vacuum bagging supplies are not cheap but I do not include them in materials since they are not part of the wing(probably $20 for them)  Still must facture in all the other parts, Mast, Fuselage, Rear Wing, Tuttle Box.  It probably cost me 200-300 for my first set up and then I just keep adding wings.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »
Container, you have such great intuition when it comes to this shit.  I love it!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 06:33:58 AM »
808 SUP,  there is no getting it wrong, the method is simple yet precise.  The only challenge being the original set up costs if you do not already practice composite construction and vacuum bagging.  I’ve said this before that the easiest way to start this DIY Foil thing would be to purchase a cheap mast and fuselage and make your wings adapt to this set up.  Wing templates are pretty much dialed in and I just recently found out that a GOE 648 template is even better for than a NACA 4415 or 4416.   Just draw out planshapes on graph paper and calculate projected surface areas by counting squares and you will not fail. 
Kai size-  approx 1200-1250 sq can
Iwa size- approx 1500-1600 sq cm
Maliko 200-  approx 1800 sq cm
Maliko 280- approx 2200-2400? Sq cm

These are guesses since I have never seen any of these wings in person but only estimate based on experience.  Can’t believe what is posted by manufacturers.  Give it a go!  The only thing you stand to lose is time, a little money and ignorance. 

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
Hold the presses! We may have a solution for my needs. Apparently Alex is already onto the idea of a higher aspect wing for my go foil. Not sure if they are in production yet. Looks mighty similar to the signature that I like. The downside is it’s probably more than $50 💰

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »
Hold the presses! We may have a solution for my needs. Apparently Alex is already onto the idea of a higher aspect wing for my go foil. Not sure if they are in production yet. Looks mighty similar to the signature that I like. The downside is it’s probably more than $50 💰

I'm liking the look of that one, my next wing after the current one is definitely a high aspect one. Those signature albatross foils rip. I also think its the same reason the horue foils have a lot of pump in them although ive never seen anyone apart from the owner ride one in a video

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »

Yup, Alex has been letting some of the people at the Harbor and Ka'a try the high aspect wings, everyone is pretty pumped. I'm still struggling with what I have, so I haven't been begging for a turn at them, I'm not sure I'd see the difference until I get a lot better. Still, I'm considering getting a X-carve router to make a bunch of wings--especially since I really want to do downwind foiling in the gorge this year. I think higher aspect wings in a size that will support my weight might make that more feasible--or I could lose 30 pounds, but that's crazy talk. The larger version will accommodate 39" wings as a single piece, and if I want to go wider I could do a two piece. Z-axis is 2.5 inches, which should be adequate for a lot of fiddling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal