Author Topic: Realizing a board can be TOO BIG  (Read 6879 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Realizing a board can be TOO BIG
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:53 PM »
I think most folks who have a lot of boards tend to go to the same one or two.....boards that you know will give you the fun time.

I’m still to find my one board quiver so to speak.....but I am getting closer.

I’m still of the view that watertime makes you a better surfer...not the board...but we all like something new  ;D

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »
sound advice

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 05:36:07 AM »
If I could afford it, I would have a different board for every type of wave and let the conditions dictate what board I would choose.

Small clean waves

Small choppy waves

Big clean waves

Big choppy waves

Powerful waves

Weak waves and/or bumps

Distant waves

Having a "one board quiver" is very limiting.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:40 AM »
Having one board in the middle that always works can be a good thing.  For me 8'3 / 135L is my normal board.   I am 175lb / 51 Years old.   I thought about how nice it would be to have: Nose rider, early wave catcher, something smaller ...   But at some point you need to take all this stuff to the beach. 

JP

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:03 AM »
Having one board in the middle that always works can be a good thing.  For me 8'3 / 135L is my normal board.   I am 175lb / 51 Years old.   I thought about how nice it would be to have: Nose rider, early wave catcher, something smaller ...   But at some point you need to take all this stuff to the beach. 

JP

I weigh the same as you and am 10 years older. I would consider 135 liters to be way too much volume for an 8'3. I wouldn't want anything over 115 liters max for that length of board. I know a lot of it is preference, but from a performance perspective, all that extra volume is working against you for both stability and surfing the wave

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
If I could afford it, I would have a different board for every type of wave and let the conditions dictate what board I would choose.

Small clean waves

Small choppy waves

Big clean waves

Big choppy waves

Powerful waves

Weak waves and/or bumps

Distant waves

Having a "one board quiver" is very limiting.
I guess you’d be bringing a bunch of boards to the beach?  It frequently happens to me where clean waves turn to choppy waves or big waves go small, hollow waves to fat waves due to tide change, calm winds to howling offshores.  I think the good board AND skill level play a role how you adjust.  Makes it fun too imo.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »
I will likely be the 3 board quiver - I have an all around inflatable and an over sized touring board that I feel secure taking offshore touring/fishing and using like a station wagon to caryy people/gear. The 3rd board is still to come - a surf oriented all around or "surf cruiser".  Not sure how quick that will be. I can borrow and rent to surf. One friend of mine has become a die hard proner and has some boards he is happy to loan hoping I will buy one of them, but he hasn't been a very motivated seller (I think he has his eye on pricey prone boards). I run all the numbers, I read all this discussion, I browse vendor sites and look at reviews. But the truth is that as soon as I have the cash to spare, I am probably getting the first thing that "will probably be okay" in my price range that is near by.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
come to my house in Brooklyn, and I'm lucky that one board fits in without making the rest of the family crazy...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
come to my house in Brooklyn, and I'm lucky that one board fits in without making the rest of the family crazy...

Ha SupSean....My original 8'5 pocket rocket existed because it was the only board i could get in my UES apartment and also fit in my car.

It ended up being stored in my sons Nursery (Despite some obvious opposition).  The only time my wife told me to 'go back to surfing with the small boards'

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »

JP

I weigh the same as you and am 10 years older. I would consider 135 liters to be way too much volume for an 8'3. I wouldn't want anything over 115 liters max for that length of board. I know a lot of it is preference, but from a performance perspective, all that extra volume is working against you for both stability and surfing the wave

I rented an 8'5 125L quad while on vaca last year and expected to feel some performance over my 135L twin.   I cant' say I really felt much difference.   
Keep in mind that my 8'3 is an unusual craft.  AHD Sealion made for 51% sailing and 49% supsurf.  The twin tails make it feel smaller than it really is in my opinion. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ahd+sealion+8%273&FORM=HDRSC2

JP

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »
Having one board in the middle that always works can be a good thing.  For me 8'3 / 135L is my normal board.   I am 175lb / 51 Years old.   I thought about how nice it would be to have: Nose rider, early wave catcher, something smaller ...   But at some point you need to take all this stuff to the
JP

I rented an 8'5 125L quad while on vaca last year and expected to feel some performance over my 135L twin.   I cant' say I really felt much difference.   
Keep in mind that my 8'3 is an unusual craft.  AHD Sealion made for 51% sailing and 49% supsurf.  The twin tails make it feel smaller than it really is in my opinion. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ahd+sealion+8%273&FORM=HDRSC2

JP

JP

That Sealion is an interesting looking board. If you could write and post a review that would be great!

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
The Sealion is definitely something different. The website calls it a concept board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBqwHLo5yks
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:44:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:04 PM »
Fish shaped large swallow tail SUPs were being made years back....the French company Nah Skwell were making them....twin fins, big swallow tails etc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:56:59 PM by coldsup »

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »
The Sealions were introduced 10 years ago,  so not a NEW concept board.   
Compared to other SUPs, they are built heavy to handle the sailing abuse and have a thicker tail.  29.25 wide at the middle is narrower than a lot of stubby boards,  but 1 foot off the tail it's super wide.   So in theory the thick tail rails would make it not turn well,  but the width at the tail enables more leverage for the turn. 
Sailing wise they are slow as hell until you catch a wave,  the it gets fun.
JP

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »
Haha! Wow. That is extreme. At least we have a foyer that can fit a board fairly easily.

Ha SupSean....My original 8'5 pocket rocket existed because it was the only board i could get in my UES apartment and also fit in my car.

It ended up being stored in my sons Nursery (Despite some obvious opposition).  The only time my wife told me to 'go back to surfing with the small boards'

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal