Author Topic: Realizing a board can be TOO BIG  (Read 6878 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Realizing a board can be TOO BIG
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
I recently stepped down from a JL SG 8'7 to a ST 7'10. I must say i had agonized about the move thinking it was going to be too small. Quite the opposite! First time out and I knew i had been on a board too big. (mind you i only weigh 155). But the feeling of control makes me realize that sometimes the larger board would get away from me. Now I know that in high winds and chop that longer waterline will come in very handy (especially I do miss the better tracking).

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Realizing a board can be TOO BIG
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:05:05 AM »
This is a MUCH better feeling than the remorese and ultimate pain of knowing you went too small!  (mostly for your wallet!)   So congrats on that!!!!!

That's the rub with Sup Surfing Boards- Especially 4 season Sup Surfing. (Trunks to 6mm suits)

The balance of ability;weight and volume is so easily put out of whack.  Its crazy to me I can surf on two prone boards all year (any conditions, any mount of wetsuit and give or take 10-15 lbs in weight)

Moving around 20 lbs in weight (either body or wetsuit) Could require a 3-4 board quiver of shapes and volumes  for Sup Surfing.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:20 AM »
I recently stepped down from a JL SG 8'7 to a ST 7'10. I must say i had agonized about the move thinking it was going to be too small. Quite the opposite! First time out and I knew i had been on a board too big. (mind you i only weigh 155). But the feeling of control makes me realize that sometimes the larger board would get away from me. Now I know that in high winds and chop that longer waterline will come in very handy (especially I do miss the better tracking).

Give it a couple of months on the new board and you will probably feel you can go down in size again.  The smaller you go the better performance you will get.  You will notice a big jump in performance when you drop below a guild factor of 1.3.  At 155lb a GF of 1.3 would be 92L.

I feel that many people ride boards with too much volume.  If you can cruise the line up comfortably or stand without paddling then you can definitely go with a lower volume board. 

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
A matter of preference.  I like being able to cruise the lineup and stand without paddling.  When conditions permit I try to surf a wave aggressively, crank a bottom turn to a top turn and pump down the line.  Then there is the Paddle pack out through beach break all for me at least take a lot of energy (especially in a 6mil suit) so when I get back out I can stand or cruise and recover.  I’m sure I can go lower volume but for sup surfing at 55, volume is my friend.🙂
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »
I am with LBsup, volume in a SUP is no problem.

For me SUP is an easy going high volume affair. Cruising the lineup and rolling into waves is the whole point. You can still surf pretty vertical with the right board around 160L at my weight, but wobbling in the lineup or having to sit is not much fun for me.

If I go below 130L it needs to be a surfboard or I have to sit and wobble around, then stand up when it is time to surf and when I get on a wave it is at the same place I could have caught it on a prone board. Of course I weigh 70lb more than toolate so maybe this is all relative?

The most compliments I have ever gotten while surfing was while prone surfing an 8'+/- Riviera SUP I borrowed. The near 4" of thickness plus the 30" of width meant easy wave catching momentum and I could almost make no mistakes during the pop up and  crank on the turns. I have been looking for a used one ever since.
Make paddleboarding great again!

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
i suspect much of what you are saying is that 70 lbs difference.
But not all of it. I like the workout of a hard board to stand on. At my age i badly need it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
Do you guys only surf in one type of condition and surf the same way every time you go out? I surf mostly my 10-4 but I also like my 9-8 and 8-0....all very different from one another. Conditions, how I feel like surfing, and simply how I feel that day dictate what I use. I often bring multiple boards and surf them all. Sometimes it's even the 14. Making a steep drop on my 8-0 (I have to be in with the shortboarders) or catching one 200 yards out on my 14...it's all good.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:56:04 AM »
Ever since I was a kid I had a quiver of boards. Once the two ends were a Local Motion 5’-10” twin fin and a 10’ Eliminator ‘60s log.

Now weighing 200# the range goes from 119l on the low end to 200l on top.
The differences are quite an enjoyment and also add much flexibility to deal with all the variables a session can bring.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:09:33 AM »

The smaller you go the better performance you will get.  You will notice a big jump in performance when you drop below a guild factor of 1.3.  At 155lb a GF of 1.3 would be 92L.

I feel that many people ride boards with too much volume.  If you can cruise the line up comfortably or stand without paddling then you can definitely go with a lower volume board.

Absolutes do not exist in SUP.... absolutely  ;D ;D

I understand that you are talking to the advanced SUPsters....
but many folks read these forums looking for Volume advice and I want to provide an alternative viewpoint

One thing I have learned after helping 1,000's of people select the proper board is:
everyone has different:
goals, surf ability, physical ability, waves, wind, weather
Their vision for where they see themselves heading, are as different as the waves they surf, or conditions they paddle

I do not experience a big jump in performance when I drop below 130
It works exactly the opposite for me.
The most effective performance band for me is loosely best at 1.4, but can be lower if surface area is sufficient and rocker flatter.

At 70, I find that I lack the muscle resources to make up for "low power" moments on a wave.
I bobble and stall on low liter boards.
I need more "carry" to keep me "powered up" for carving.

My observation after paying attention for the entire "Short SUP revolution":
The really advanced SUPsters get better on low liters
Everyone else surfs exactly the same, no matter what board they are on..... but struggle more on their "hot new shortboard"

We all love the search for the next board, and that keeps us stoked and renewed!
Shapes improve constantly and give us alternatives to simply lower liters or short length.

also:
While I agree that low liter boards can be good for our fitness.....
in cases of bad knees and hips etc, they can do serious damage to weak joints.

My quiver shows that I agree with everyone on "proper" board size  ;D ;D ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 04:55:40 AM »
Yes. You can still have fun on a board that is bigger than you need. But a board that is smaller than you need is miserable.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 05:12:13 AM »
Put me in the big board camp. Everyone is different but for me SUP surfing is about cruising, comfort, and long board feel. I love surfing a 14' board and my favorite surf SUP is a 10 year old 10' 6" Laird (154 Liters). For me I have never enjoyed going smaller. But enjoy what works for you, just don't fall into the FOMO trap that smaller is always better for everyone. 
Bunch of old shit

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
As a new 50 year old two things really ring out to me about this thread. One is Creeks point about the extra wear and tear on joints adapting to smaller boards. I had a partial knee replacement 9 weeks ago and the instability of paddling narrow boards was the final straw for an already deteriorating situation. Two is the ability to get in early or cruise off to distant breaks which I think SUP is ideally suited for.

And I am not knocking someone who can go tiny and rips it. I did not get into SUP until I was 40. I will never know what it might feel like to be a 25 year old in the sport.
New England Is My Playground

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
The only thing that prevents me from having a foolish number of boards to pick from is not having a foolish amount of space to store the boards.  There are so many good craigslist deals now, It takes real self control not to bite at the first wiggle.

I'm happy with 11-1 200L cruiser down to a big guy 9-6 x 165L.  My wife can ride down into the 7-6 x 110L range but is happiest with a longer board with more float. She's about to order a custom 9-0, 31" w x 130L for her everyday surf use on the reef/point waves we ride.  She calls my 9-6 a barge.  I refer to her 9-2, 150L as my "biggest loser" target board.  If I ever listen to all the good diet voices in my head, I'll take over that board from her and be happy as an eskimo in a hot tub.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
I like short & longboard & the choices of a board are ridiculous, so keep simple and once you find the board your set  ;)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
"and that is what makes a market" or something along those lines

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal