Poll

This is a uniquely informed and diverse group to survey on any question, most definitely this one.  At this point, for whom would you cast your ballot?

Trump
19 (46.3%)
Biden
9 (22%)
Sanders
8 (19.5%)
Booker
4 (9.8%)
Klobuchar
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 04:39:47 PM

Author Topic: 2020 Vision  (Read 123981 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: 2020 Vision
« Reply #630 on: April 22, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
R-T-G...  I voted for Kennedy and was on Red Alert at the E. German border after he was killed.  "mess the government had turned into" ...candidly, I believe it always was, local and nationally.  We were just fortunate then with a young, growing economy we could afford their perfidy.  Atop the fact, it was well hidden for the most part. (There were still rural phone companies and switchboard operators)   

There were instances in the 70-80s where, for example, 'McDonnell Douglas made a 'round nut' for the Navy at $2,043 each. (in 1980's dollars!)  The government continues to increase support payment for farmers ...JD then charges $400-500k for a combine that the farmer is legally constrained from repairing himself. He then asks for higher support payments because the seed companies have him in another lockbox. Major corporations know how the game is played. 'No farms-No food'...

Nothing personal, but Bernie has a big 0 legislative history.  He is an orator, in a Ralph Nader suit.    ...and, look at that 'Birther' gambit again, when nobody was really watching, Trump dropped it and never spoke of it again   ...he's President, he has the power to discover the truth - and redline Obama in every history book   ...I also don't see him a confirmed racist, I frankly don't think he gives a rat's azz about anybody.  He's an equal opportunity humiliator.     

My suspicion - even if we got an 'honest, thoughtful, rationalist' in the top spot, people like Speaker McConnell would hog-tie them for his donors like he's done before  ...or the Dems may try to do to Trump yet.   I just hope, going forward, the nutcases like Timothy McVeigh are constrained. (who?)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #631 on: April 22, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »
Carter was elected about a month before I could vote, so my history is shorter than yours, but I don't think it was ever anywhere near as bad as it has been the last few years in terms of how well it actually governs.

Example:
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/09/ben-cardin/did-senate-republicans-filibuster-obama-court-nomi/
"By our calculation, there were actually 68 individual nominees blocked prior to Obama taking office and 79 (so far) during Obama’s term, for a total of 147."

It said "so far" as it was written before the end of Obama's second term.  The purposeful gridlock was unprecedented.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #632 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
Now one of the latest announcements - one man elected by conservative voters in one state can derail the legislative process and is choosing to do so. Mitch McConnell announced that he will not allow any progressive bill to go to the Senate floor for a vote. So if the house passes something he doesn't care for, he will just kill it. Most of them probably would not make it through on a full vote, but there is a good chance a few would. The scheduling of bills for floor votes is supposed to be an administrative duty. Our government is so badly broken...
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 23, 2019, 10:00:04 AM »
judiciary, right to vote, gerrymandering, nuclear option, citizens U---scary---win at all cost---democracy or not
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 25, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Now that Biden is officially in the running, I'm joining the Biden vote.  He is a centrist who can win.  The 2 most important factors in the 2020 election.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
Going to be interesting to see how Biden goes through the primaries. It sounds like he is going to run on "Getting America back to Normal" so anti Trump, which is a good thing. I imagine that Trump is going to run on Biden being part of the Obama coalition that started all the problems.

If Biden can re-establish the blue wall, Michigan, Pennsylvania, maybe Ohio? He has it. But I got a bad feeling that the D's really want an inter sectional candidate. I also feel like Biden is coming in pretty late, a lot of good money has been donated.

If I was Biden, I would swipe hard at Bernie ASAP. The Bernie bros were pissed off in 2016 and definitely cost the D's lots of votes. Get them pissed off now, so that they can come back around by 2020.
Make paddleboarding great again!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 25, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
McVeigh?

Is he an IRA guy?
ISIS?
Mexican?
Russian?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 25, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
Timothy was the Oklahoma Mad Bomber..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 25, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
Biden can win? Can he really? I’d like to think so but isn’t he already old enough to be Trump’s great grandfather, and Trump is way past retirement age already? And Biden has as much charisma as a newel post.

But I hope you are right. In fact, probably all the other democratic countries in the world hope you are right.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 25, 2019, 02:36:16 PM »
Regardless of your opinion on opinion polls, with a healthy dose of skepticism Biden has a comfortable lead. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 25, 2019, 03:22:35 PM »
Now that Biden is officially in the running, I'm joining the Biden vote.  He is a centrist who can win.  The 2 most important factors in the 2020 election.
Don't forget he has a German Shepherd also.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: April 25, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »
I am mixed on Biden. If he was going to run, I wish he had decided/announced sooner; I think a lot of the candidates stepped in to fill a void they would not have felt was there. He is older than Trump, but not by much. He can win, but it would have been easier with an earlier announcement. I would prefer someone a bit left of him, but I want Trump beat and will support the candidate most likely to do that.

It still shocks me that there is much of a contest. People paying even a little bit of attention know that Mueller did anything but exonerate Trump; even many GOP loyalists are rebuking him and seeking some separation. Good sound evidence mostly from Trump associates.
He is wading into a constitutional crisis asking his administration officials to ignore congressional subpoenas. I hope the courts act quickly and decisively. There is no wiggle room the way the tax return law is written; that should not even go to trial.
Do people really want a strongman/dictator? If only the executive branch has any real power, that's what it is.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 25, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Regardless of your opinion on opinion polls, with a healthy dose of skepticism Biden has a comfortable lead. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
You’ve just made my day - thank you very much for that.

Unfortunately, Trump is now going to be given a state visit to the UK, with all the royal regalia and pomp and ceremony. It’s going to cost us an absolute fortune because he is so unpopular that the police presence will have to be so substantial that unsolved crime around the country will skyrocket. The British people are so torn in opinion about this: we want to respect the democratic choice of the US population and so treat the position of president with due respect and honour. However overwhelmingly we loathe Trump and the brand of politics he represents, and are extremely worried about his attitude to climate change. His visit also is timed to coincide with the 75th anniversary of D-Day, and the fear is that the inevitable furore surrounding his visit will overshadow that.

So please elect Biden as fast as possible so that we can line up in the streets to welcome him with open arms and wave US flags in unbridled thanks and appreciation to you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:38:25 PM by Area 10 »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 25, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Don't forget he has a German Shepherd also.
I see. So he’s picked up his sniffing habit from his dog?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 25, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
But can Biden's German Shepherd drive?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal