Poll

This is a uniquely informed and diverse group to survey on any question, most definitely this one.  At this point, for whom would you cast your ballot?

Trump
19 (46.3%)
Biden
9 (22%)
Sanders
8 (19.5%)
Booker
4 (9.8%)
Klobuchar
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 04:39:47 PM

Author Topic: 2020 Vision  (Read 124019 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Vision
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
why? anyone with any means at all here in the US gets medicare supplemental insurance. seems like an identical situation. works great. cant wait to get it. wish i could buy it.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »

You can get some of the very best care in the world in the UK free of charge. The hospital where I do a lot of research is one of the very best in the world, by any standard. You can receive the best treatment in the world there, at the hands of the some of the very best surgeons, and if you are a UK citizen it will be completely FREE at all stages. No paperwork either.

The UK is not different than any other developed country, there is no such thing as "free", you pay for it one way or another, usually thru your taxation.  I'm surprised that anyone still falls for that "free" claim.  Free is not affordable for the people providing that service.  The only people that I know of providing free medical is Doctors Without Borders, are they working in the UK also?  I doubt it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
why? anyone with any means at all here in the US gets medicare supplemental insurance. seems like an identical situation. works great. cant wait to get it. wish i could buy it.

Not really the same Eastie.  In the US, supplemental insurance only closes the out of pocket gap - since Medicare only pays 80%.

In the UK 100% is covered unless you elect private pay to utilize non NHS medical services. 

Of great concern is that the lower the perceived standard of care provided by the NHS, the more likely the patients will seek private pay services.  This in turn, results in a gross conflict of interest. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
Most doctors don’t go into it to get rich.

If Trump said that, would you believe it?   ;D

There are plenty of Doc's that give back substantially to society, including those that contribute their time to Doctors Without Borders.   But after it is all said and done, they are merely a cross section of our society.  Some great, some not so great...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
there are plenty of doctors that charge way in excess of allowable medicare--check into concierge charges
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »

And for those who can’t afford the supplemental?w

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »

You can get some of the very best care in the world in the UK free of charge. The hospital where I do a lot of research is one of the very best in the world, by any standard. You can receive the best treatment in the world there, at the hands of the some of the very best surgeons, and if you are a UK citizen it will be completely FREE at all stages. No paperwork either.

The UK is not different than any other developed country, there is no such thing as "free", you pay for it one way or another, usually thru your taxation.  I'm surprised that anyone still falls for that "free" claim.  Free is not affordable for the people providing that service.  The only people that I know of providing free medical is Doctors Without Borders, are they working in the UK also?  I doubt it.

If you want to get a feel for how “free” the Canadian model of health care is, figure your taxes as if you lived in British Columbia.  Mine went up four fold.  And that doesn’t include the 15 percent sales tax. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
If you want to get a feel for how “free” the Canadian model of health care is, figure your taxes as if you lived in British Columbia.  Mine went up four fold.  And that doesn’t include the 15 percent sales tax.

I’d be curious to know how your taxes went up fourfold? From what date to what date did they go up fourfold? And also, British Columbia’s sales tax is not 15% as you claim. The provincial sales tax is 7% and the federal GST is 5%. I’m having a difficult time figuring out how that equates to 15%???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:06:03 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2019, 06:12:30 PM »
Hey Quickbeam, don’t go spoiling a good argument by quoting perfectly reasonable statistics. There are some US citizens here who want to tell you that you are a commie bastard with a healthcare system that is an affront to the natural order of things. And they aren’t gonna let a few pesky statistics get in the way of that. Not when there’s some serious cognitive dissonance to get your dander up. :)

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Two buck Chuck is $17.00 and gas is crazy. You sell Salmon by the quarter pound because nobody would buy $50 dollar salmon. Nice place to visit but.....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2019, 06:22:43 PM »
Two buck Chuck is $17.00 and gas is crazy. You sell Salmon by the quarter pound because nobody would buy $50 dollar salmon. Nice place to visit but.....
...it’s full of commies, right?

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
 Not at all. The people are great. When they come to the Gorge for wind sports, they are blown away by the cheap prices. They wait to get tires at Les Shwab, no sales tax in Oregon. Lot’s of happy campers. I take it you don’t get out much Pilgrim.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
I take it you don’t get out much Pilgrim.

Rider, it seems you may have misspelled Pinko 🤔

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »

And for those who can’t afford the supplemental?w
That’s a serious concern, but there are indigent programs and ultimately Medicaid. No question, here in the US, healthcare costs can bankrupt you.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 04, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
Hey Quickbeam, don’t go spoiling a good argument by quoting perfectly reasonable statistics. There are some US citizens here who want to tell you that you are a commie bastard with a healthcare system that is an affront to the natural order of things. And they aren’t gonna let a few pesky statistics get in the way of that. Not when there’s some serious cognitive dissonance to get your dander up. :)

Too funny A10. But maybe also contains a ring of truth  ;)
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal