Poll

This is a uniquely informed and diverse group to survey on any question, most definitely this one.  At this point, for whom would you cast your ballot?

Trump
19 (46.3%)
Biden
9 (22%)
Sanders
8 (19.5%)
Booker
4 (9.8%)
Klobuchar
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 04:39:47 PM

Author Topic: 2020 Vision  (Read 124024 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Vision
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
ha!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
 Bill's right...  Voting is for chumps.  A couple of older women who work for me - their families do not vote, never have. They both talk game,  "Obama!" .. "Trump!" ..but stay home?!  I heard, like 43% of eligible, did not vote in '16. 

Fuc'm...   "You do not get a tax refund .. welfare .. medicare .. VA benefits .. Social Security  ...unless you are on record as having voted." 

The lazy Fucs  ...'s no wonder we're turning into an oligarchy.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:15 AM »
i am fed up and i am not going to take it any more!

for those who cant name our VP--or the touchy-feely one from before (who i think is innocent of trying to get anything remotely sexual from anyone but his wife)--not so sure anyone wants them voting--but i respect that they do have a right, shd they care to vote

but for those who opine on whatever they perceive to be unfairnesses dealt them? yet they dont vote--STFU!  im with wettie on this!!!

I waver from suspending any practicality in my voting, and angrily supporting whoever has agenda most aligned with me--sick of kleptocrat wolves in demo sheep's clothing--like my effing schmuck "ill suck any xxxx on wall street or in right wing israel" schumer--id rather lose than vote for him

but then the current state of affairs scares shit outta me, so i may defer to my stepson who will likely end up some sort of political operative (already getting plenty of work) when he grads college--he is totally on my progdemo team, but has a real knack for seeing the practicalist approach to winning--glad he's on my team! but i may do as he says to.....

peripheral takeaway--there are jobs in politics--after citizens united exploded PAC funding etc, DC is a huge toilet swirling with buckeroos!!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »
Voting is so weird, I have worked on local issues. School bonds and levies etc. Have worked nights and weekends with people (mostly in their 30's and 40's) to get these bonds across. You can get a list of who voted in each election, but not how they voted. It was surprising to see that there were a few people that we worked with for months, not vote at all on the VERY ELECTION WE HAD BEEN POLITICKING FOR! Sometimes losing small local elections by 6 or 7 votes and the people doing the work didn't vote! It was too embarrassing to ask them why after the fact.

I have also been involved with Bond strategists quite a bit and in looking at the demographics people my age, who are actively trying to make money in this market, vote at like 8% in this area, it is the people who are trying to protect what they got (retired ones) who vote a lot more.

The psychology behind it fascinates.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »
Yes. It is a reasonably well-established psychological principle that people are more motivated to avoid losing something they already have than they will be to gain something that they don’t yet have. This may in part explain why older folks are apparently more motivated to vote: they may have more to lose (in material terms) than to gain, whereas younger folk in the main will have more to gain than to lose.

Older folk are also simply a lot more organised, and their lives tend to more regular in terms of scheduling.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »
Area, Did you grow up watching Star Trek? Your last post was a Perfect impersonation of Spock. Are you a Vulcan?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2019, 02:08:35 AM »
Area, Did you grow up watching Star Trek? Your last post was a Perfect impersonation of Spock. Are you a Vulcan?
Well if I am, I’m probably not the only one. Daniel Kahneman won the Nobel Prize for his work on this phenomenon in behavioral economics. It is called “loss aversion”. Google it and you will find lots of writing that reads stylistically like my post, even if intellectually the academic work is of infinitely higher quality (obviously).

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
Are you a Vulcan?

Spock might have responded, "it would be most interesting to impress your memory engrams on a computer, Rider. The resulting torrential flood of illogic would be most entertaining."  ;D

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
Yes. It is a reasonably well-established psychological principle that people are more motivated to avoid losing something they already have than they will be to gain something that they don’t yet have. This may in part explain why older folks are apparently more motivated to vote: they may have more to lose (in material terms) than to gain, whereas younger folk in the main will have more to gain than to lose.

Older folk are also simply a lot more organised, and their lives tend to more regular in terms of scheduling.
Older folks also vote with their dollars and their health.
So Mick needs a new heart valve, he chooses to have it done here in the U.S. as opposed to his native G.B.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »
Trump’s latest lie is that wind turbine noise causes cancer.

Is there a webpage somewhere that lists all of Trump’s lies? I guess it runs to many pages.

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-claims-wind-turbine-noise-causes-cancer-11683102

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »

So Mick needs a new heart valve, he chooses to have it done here in the U.S. as opposed to his native G.B.

Yes, clearly Mick has unlimited choice in where to have surgery, but what if he didn't?   What if the US had an NHS model like the UK?  Who would be the world standard-setter in healthcare? 

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2019, 10:56:40 AM »
Trump’s latest lie is that wind turbine noise causes cancer.

Is there a webpage somewhere that lists all of Trump’s lies? I guess it runs to many pages.

And that his father was born in Germany.  I like that one

Daniel Dale of the Toronto Star has been fact checking since the beginning.  He is a good follow on Twitter
https://www.thestar.com/news/donald-trump-fact-check.html
https://twitter.com/ddale8

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »

Yes, clearly Mick has unlimited choice in where to have surgery, but what if he didn't?   What if the US had an NHS model like the UK?  Who would be the world standard-setter in healthcare?

the only americans who have any choice in their healthcare are the very rich--and yes, we have best care in the world for our wealthy--but the data on overall quality of care and cost for the avg joe in the us vs that of the average bloke in europe clearly favors the care in europe

often the very rich from around the globe come to the states for complex care--a guy worth 400mln could care less about paying 300k full retail for a heart valve fix--so they come to the US and choose the best care available and throw what is chump change for them, at the best facility for the procedure

avg joe in the US??--no such luck --he goes to whatever hospital his carrier has contract with and tough luck if that facility sux-(if he has "insurance" at all, that is)--choose? better have beaucoup bux, or be ready to join the ranks of those who file for personal bankruptcy, some 70% of whom are there bc of medical event costs

hell, a good number of the medically bankrupted get there, even tho they have insurance---overwhelmed by coverage caps deductibles and out of pocket costs--yep avg joe's WITH health insurance

it's great to be rich in the usa, esp re medical care--so much so that rich people from other countries come here for the coveted precious care than can be bought here----less than rich, working class??? not the case at all

so yeah mick, a guy worth 400mm, who needs a sensitive med procedure, is drawn to US for that, since money rules quality of med care here. makes sense.

if i had 400mm i would ignore my crappy med insurance and seek care based on quality only, without the paranoia about sneaky hidden costs that will end up coming out of my pocket--

like the poor guy who passed out after a flu shot, got in an ambulance and owed 20k (and has insurance!)---mick doesnt sweat that kinda stuff!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:25:35 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
Are you a Vulcan?

Spock might have responded, "it would be most interesting to impress your memory engrams on a computer, Rider. The resulting torrential flood of illogic would be most entertaining."  ;D
Fascinating.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2019, 12:45:08 PM »
...like the poor guy who passed out after a flu shot, got in an ambulance and owed 20k (and has insurance!)---mick doesnt sweat that kinda stuff!

I wouldn't disagree with you on any of your fine examples, but my point was simply, where would healthcare be today without the capitalist driven healthcare industry in the US?   Who would set the standard?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal