Poll

This is a uniquely informed and diverse group to survey on any question, most definitely this one.  At this point, for whom would you cast your ballot?

Trump
19 (46.3%)
Biden
9 (22%)
Sanders
8 (19.5%)
Booker
4 (9.8%)
Klobuchar
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 04:39:47 PM

Author Topic: 2020 Vision  (Read 123996 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Vision
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:43 AM »
yeah the who were awesome, and had a great powered up unique style---but what's this got to do with capitalism?   cant get my arms around that....

It makes me wonder, could a superband of the 70's and the 80's have had the degree of commercial success without a significant degree of capitalism.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:41 AM »
again, not clear.

do you mean a "significant degree of capitalism" in a given artist's message?

or are you saying the artist/band must have originated in a "significantly capitalist" country?

or is that the band's music must have been sold in "significantly capitalist" countries?

but hey, why guess what TD meant? I'm sure he'll explain at some point

sharif dont like it, rock the casbah---not so different with the saudis in the present..............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
again, not clear.

or are you saying the artist/band must have originated in a "significantly capitalist" country?

or is that the band's music must have been sold in "significantly capitalist" countries?

sharif dont like it, rock the casbah---kinda timeless---not so different with the saudis in the present..............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 13, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »

again, not clear.

sharif dont like it, rock the casbah---kinda timeless---not so different with the saudis in the present..............

No, not guessing what TD meant, just chiming in. 

But, to go just one step further, imagine the music industry, in an economy without any degree of capitalism.  In other words without the capitalists, the people that put up the money for the tours the productions, you know, the producers/investors.  Over time, the super groups got away from their "record labels" and became economically self-sufficient, in otherwords, they became their own capitalists (in the truest sense, providers of capital).

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
My point. The British Invasion. Go to America and make it rich. My point is most of the words in a song are written to sell a hook. Love, screw the system, f- the rich, trip out, and such. Most artists dream of making it big. By most, I mean all excluding classical, or jazz artist. They spend their lives focused on perfecting their craft. Art for the sake of preserving the arts, with little to gain. The rest just want to make a millions of dollars. 3 chords in 4/4. Pete Townshend and John Entwistle were skilled, trained artist. They could play jazz, bluegrass, etc. but they went the commercial path and reaped the rewards. My point, they sold it, and we bought it. I'm trying to think of a rock artist who wasn't about fame and money?? Though they are more folk singers, maybe Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan? Maybe. The government didn't like them, but that's my point. That's what brought them fame.
My point? People hear something they like and they buy into it. 
I just thought of one...Tom Waits!

I vote for Carl Sagan 2020...... his atoms are part of all of us, and we are all a part of each other. 

https://youtu.be/W5c59qUUnAY 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:49:49 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
A10, Moonie gone, Ox gone. Thanks for posting one of my favorites!

Perhaps Karl Marx had a point in his statement that Capitalism is the Root of All Evil!

Don't know how to quote myself. My initial remark was not meant to be taken literally in regards to the Who!

More in the spirit of new boss old boss being the same and our culture is primarily motivated by money and acquiring things.
John Entwhistle passed a while back. May the Ox rest in peace.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:13:57 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2019, 10:32:09 AM »
More in the spirit of new boss old boss being the same...

I suspected as much, Tony Danza and Brue Springsteen are the same... ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
More in the spirit of new boss old boss being the same...

I suspected as much, Tony Danza and Brue Springsteen are the same... ;D
Off subject, but I gave Tony Danza his first ski lesson and Ronnie Wood's manager.  ;D  A long time ago...  Back on subject, I benefited from the trickle down effect.
It's not overhead to me!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »
Off subject, but I gave Tony Danza his first ski lesson and Ronnie Wood's manager.  ;D  A long time ago...  Back on subject, I benefited from the trickle down effect.
As I get older, I find "the trickle down effect" to have a whole new meaning...and I'm not sure I really like it all that much any longer.  :-[ :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 13, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »
My point. The British Invasion. Go to America and make it rich. My point is most of the words in a song are written to sell a hook. Love, screw the system, f- the rich, trip out, and such. Most artists dream of making it big. By most, I mean all excluding classical, or jazz artist. They spend their lives focused on perfecting their craft. Art for the sake of preserving the arts, with little to gain. The rest just want to make a millions of dollars. 3 chords in 4/4. Pete Townshend and John Entwistle were skilled, trained artist. They could play jazz, bluegrass, etc. but they went the commercial path and reaped the rewards. My point, they sold it, and we bought it. I'm trying to think of a rock artist who wasn't about fame and money?? Though they are more folk singers, maybe Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan? Maybe. The government didn't like them, but that's my point. That's what brought them fame.
My point? People hear something they like and they buy into it. 
I just thought of one...Tom Waits!

Okay, now you've got me going, am I trying to make a point, no, not really, other than what's at the bottom of most people's minds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZFte3lhDpI
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: March 13, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
Tom Waits not making any money here... but I love his perspective. Most of these people, right and left are bused to these protests and paid for their time. Actually, just about everyone involved with these staged protests is on the clock. Some even making double time.

https://youtu.be/n_pWpW4JlrM
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 13, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »
nice song--im a fan of both marc ribot and tom waits-saw ribot at a benefit for fukishima victims---

and great message--anti-fascism--especially appropriate in the age of trump duterte putin le pen etc etc--lotta fascistic nationalism going on round here

but paid protestors??-- that'd be one hellofa a payroll--and double for double time

cash? 4 hours at 10 an hour, the 200,000 who showed up for the march for our lives would require 8 million $$ be handed out--double time 16 million $$--so after the protest they all line up? or does soros mail them checks?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/10/09/the-real-purpose-of-the-paid-protester-lie/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1754915a484f

these supporters were, in fact, paid

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/donald-trump-escapes-fec-punishment-paid-actors-at-presidential-announcement-966428
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: March 13, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »
The double time was in reference to all the government workers assigned to the protest security. Of course the reporters all get paid. The Irony of that short Film was the last shot. The gentleman holding the Scr-w Trump sign, and the street vendor next to him profiting from the protest.

And yes some protesters are paid. They call it “astroturfing” ? I think I need some of that on my roof ;)

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-crowds-extortion-20181021-story.html

https://youtu.be/Q0Ri0NnoVQU
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:38:58 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
Wow! I was involved in some 60's demonstrations ( Riots actually ) and we definitely did not get paid.

Social  security supplemental. Can make thermite bombs out of ammonium nitrate.

That's quite enough!

Never happened! Hehe!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: March 30, 2019, 03:33:10 AM »
I saw Pete Buttigieg interviewed last night.  He needs to be added to the list.  Very bright, articulate and level headed.  Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and Harvard Undergrad.  Six languages.  Served in Afghanistan.  37 YO.  He currently serves as the chair of the “Automation and the Impacts on America’s Cities” task force at the United States Conference of Mayors.  Would be an outstanding contrast to Trump on a debate stage.   Could be very interesting.  Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCwUwziRvY
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:39:15 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal