Author Topic: Anyone with experience with bi-concave wings?  (Read 1819 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone with experience with bi-concave wings?
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:21:28 AM »
You know Da Kine.  There is a slight amount of double barrel concave on either side of the fuselage.  At the present time I cant seem to recall which companies produce such wings but Slingshot and Signature wings come to mind.  I up here in Maine and do not get to see any production wings in person.  The only production wing I have met in person is the Naish Thrust.   If any body has any experience riding this wing design and can compare it to non-bi-concave wings I would love to hear all about it.    Thank in advance!

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone with experience with bi-concave wings?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
i presume you mean the double concave on the bottom of the wing ? the MFC also has it

not recommended for pump foils , it does work okay but you get lateral flow which ends up in vortexs off the tips which is wasted energy, but the positive side is a foil that has a very locked in feel (but isnt always wanted on a wave as it feels like its on rails)

imo ofcourse ;-)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »
Thank you for that input Blackrat.  That is the cleanest description of bi-concave wing performance yet.  I may have to adjust my already made platform since I have yet to lay out the wing template segments.  Do you have any guess as to the benefits, if any, of a semi elliptical wing planshape?  Typically these shapes are less elliptical on the wings front portion and more elliptical on the wings rear portion.  In airplanes, they are known to be efficient.

Blackrat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 04:47:09 PM »
the only reason elliptical wings were efficient is because of the era of when they were used ... back then carbon fiber was a dream

your foil is powered by the elements and a bit of muscle power :-) no space for merlin engines , id look more to soaring type birds/aircraft for inspiration

you cant beat high aspect in terms of efficiency , and thats what makes a foil perform or not

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal